Total Posts:  960
Joined  2015-12-29

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0984480277/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Not to mention books like this as well

Posted: 19 April 2017 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 257 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4253
Joined  2014-06-20

There have always been more unanswered questions than logically answered ones. All questions lead to more unanswered questions. The problem isn’t in trying to answer questions, it’s people making up answers to unanswered questions and insisting that they are true and the final word and/or that they are not to be further questioned. But if you feel better not asking or trying to answer questions, don’t torture yourself.  Just sit there like a bump on a log as you probably have done all your life. Nobody is going to stop you and you’ll be happy..

[ Edited: 19 April 2017 12:16 PM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 19 April 2017 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 258 ]
Total Posts:  7752
Joined  2009-02-26

Buddha tried to find enlightenment through suffering during his ascetic period. But he gave that up for a more balanced life of moderation in all things.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 19 April 2017 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 259 ]
Total Posts:  4069
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 19 April 2017 11:02 AM

Glad to see you’re reading (if you truly are). I’m not going to put any effort in to this because the probability is high that all of the 5 star ratings come from people who have not studied other views on philosophy. I’m sure the author is very convincing, but I’ll bet he leaves out a lot of counter arguments, hoping that you won’t know them.

Philosophy is much like history, if you select facts and ignore the whole context, you can make a case for just about anything.

Posted: 19 April 2017 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 260 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I think this is kind of missing the point I’m making a bit philosophy always ending up as being pessimistic, especially with the links I GAVE

Posted: 19 April 2017 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 261 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 19 April 2017 02:20 PM

Glad to see you’re reading (if you truly are). I’m not going to put any effort in to this because the probability is high that all of the 5 star ratings come from people who have not studied other views on philosophy. I’m sure the author is very convincing, but I’ll bet he leaves out a lot of counter arguments, hoping that you won’t know them.

Philosophy is much like history, if you select facts and ignore the whole context, you can make a case for just about anything.

Seems to be the case. I think that just because someone wrote a book, has reviews written on the back, and that a good amount gave it five stars is because they must be right. But some of the three stars point out flaws and say the author makes a lot of assumptions and a priori statements that don’t really compute.

Posted: 19 April 2017 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 262 ]
Total Posts:  5248
Joined  2007-08-31

Yeah:

Ligotti has suffered from chronic anxiety and anhedonia for much of his life; these have been prominent themes in his work.

(Bold by me).
Maybe you should write horror stories too?

As for the author, besides stating that consciousness is a mistake, all he cites are the work of other authors with a different view. Namely Freud, Camus, and leopardi.

That is not an answer to my question. Try again:

GdB - 19 April 2017 09:43 AM

Also, what advice does the author bring how to live with a pessimist world view? Why didn’t that help for you?

Signature 

GdB

The light is on, but there is nobody at home.

Posted: 20 April 2017 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 263 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

You will didn’t address my point about how consciousness is a mistake and a disease: https://www.google.com/amp/s/antimodernist.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/self-consciousness-is-a-disease/amp/

But the replies are really just focused on what other authors have wrote. From Camus saying to simply rebel against the absurd, which doesn’t work. Leopardi says to live risky as a way to distract yourself from that fact that you won’t find happiness. Neitzche said to focus on personal growth and development, which while seeming sensible is really not much advice

Posted: 20 April 2017 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 264 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14
Titanomachina - 20 April 2017 11:36 AM

Neitzche said to focus on personal growth and development, which while seeming sensible is really not much advice

First who gives a rat’s ass about Nietzsche or whatever any of these other coffee house renegades said.

However working on personal growth and development is about the best advice you could get. Why isn’t that much in the way of advice to you?
Do you need someone to give you an instruction manual for life?

What are you doing, sitting around waiting to win the lottery?

Failure to launch generation!!

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 21 April 2017 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 265 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
VYAZMA - 20 April 2017 01:57 PM

Neitzche said to focus on personal growth and development, which while seeming sensible is really not much advice

First who gives a rat’s ass about Nietzsche or whatever any of these other coffee house renegades said.

However working on personal growth and development is about the best advice you could get. Why isn’t that much in the way of advice to you?
Do you need someone to give you an instruction manual for life?

What are you doing, sitting around waiting to win the lottery?

Failure to launch generation!!

Because what exactly is the point of personal growth? Especially when the link I posted regarding consciousness says otherwise.

Posted: 21 April 2017 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 266 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

Here is the pint about consciousness:

All self-reflection is accompanied by a feeling of disgust. The more one comes to understand oneself as a “self,” and the ensuing responsibility of becoming his own self, the more one is inclined towards despondency and inaction – and ultimately, a loathing of the self.

In other words, the more a self becomes aware of itself, through its structural involvement in and towards the world, the less capable it is of enjoying itself and the world it finds itself. “Ignorance is bliss” is a truism, but it’s all the more illustrative in light of the fact that the heightened awareness that accompanies the understanding of having a self to begin with brings with it the burden of responsibility and choice. But such choice, insofar as one must first and foremost exercise the power to choose to become a self at all, takes place in a nullity.

To become a self is an exercise in subjectivity, and necessarily entails the responsibility of determining yourself on account of your own self, through your affirmative stance towards your being-in-the-world. At the same time, the requisite choice to become oneself is subject to the perpetual flux and contingency of the universe, and thus will forever be exist within the broader context of the nothingness.

At its height, consciousness of the self raises the concrete individual self to the highest level of understanding: namely, through the existential-structures of lived space, time, corporality and relatedness. But all knowledge, and especially knowledge of the self, exists in a direct inverse relationship to the ability to live with oneself.

Posted: 23 April 2017 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 267 ]
Joined  2007-08-31

You will didn’t address my point about how consciousness is a mistake and a disease: https://www.google.com/amp/s/antimodernist.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/self-consciousness-is-a-disease/amp/

I did not address it, because you didn’t. You just mentioned it, without arguing. The article you linked is highly subjective, and so nearly not worth to call it ‘philosophy’.

From Camus saying to simply rebel against the absurd, which doesn’t work.

Which doesn’t work for you. But do you have general valid philosophical argument why it doesn’t work?

That does not sound like something what Nietzsche would have said. But whatever: personal growth and development works for me very well. I feel happy when I understand more, when I am able to do new things, and especially be more open to other people.

But I think your psychiatric condition is blocking you. It is always possible to rationalise your unhappiness (as others can perfectly rationalise their happiness). Really, you should get psychiatric help. No ideas, philosophical, religious, or political, will bring you away from your misery, as long you are stuck in your condition.

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 23 April 2017 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 268 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

My “condition” as you think I have is a result of philosophy. That’s the point I’m making.

Posted: 23 April 2017 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 269 ]
Joined  2007-08-31
Titanomachina - 23 April 2017 01:12 PM

My “condition” as you think I have is a result of philosophy. That’s the point I’m making.

It is the other way round. That is the point I am making.

If your point would be true, then all studied philosophers would be unhappy. As I have studied philosophy, and therefore have known a lot of lecturers and students, I know that your statement ‘Philosophy makes people unhappy’ is not true.

Signature 

GdB

18 of 18

‹‹ Something from Nothing      A nice story ››