1 of 2
The number of Atheists in 2014 is 3.1% in the USA
Posted: 26 January 2017 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

Recently one “axpert” on this “Bored” claimed a that 25% of the population in anti abortion America was atheist.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/06/01/10-facts-about-atheists/

Not so according to real experts. Unless you’ve actually accomplished something in the past 2-3 years

[ Edited: 26 January 2017 08:25 PM by JSmith ]
 Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 28 January 2017 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

That 3.1 percent number doesn’t tell the whole story. Another four percent identify as agnostic, and the percentage of atheists has nearly doubled since 2007. Additionally, self identified atheists and agnostics tend to be younger than the population in general so those numbers will grow as the older generations die off. As for the 25 percent number another poster mentioned in a thread you did not identify, another Pew Research article states the number of atheists, agnostics and religiously unaffiliated account for 23 percent of the U.S. population, so the 25 percent number may not be far off.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/u-s-public-becoming-less-religious/

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 28 January 2017 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2016-11-06

I find it interesting that Dawkins questioned the number of supposed Christians in the US Congress.
Of course 99.9% claim they are devout, however according to Dawkins that is statistically impossible; hence many congressional
reps are lying about their religious beliefs.

Gee. What a shock.

Posted: 28 January 2017 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2015-03-13

As per the CIA World Factbook on the USA, following was the religion-based distribution of the US population in 2014:

Religions:
Protestant 46.5%, Roman Catholic 20.8%, Mormon 1.6%, Jehovah’s Witness 0.8%, other Christian 0.9%, Jewish 1.9%, Muslim 0.9%, Buddhist 0.7%, Hindu 0.7%, other 1.8%, unaffiliated 22.8%, don’t know/refused 0.6% (2014 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html

Posted: 28 January 2017 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2015-12-10
Sukhamaya (Sam) Bain - 28 January 2017 06:38 PM

As per the CIA World Factbook on the USA, following was the religion-based distribution of the US population in 2014:

Religions:
Protestant 46.5%, Roman Catholic 20.8%, Mormon 1.6%, Jehovah’s Witness 0.8%, other Christian 0.9%, Jewish 1.9%, Muslim 0.9%, Buddhist 0.7%, Hindu 0.7%, other 1.8%, unaffiliated 22.8%, don’t know/refused 0.6% (2014 est.)

Pew and other drilled down into the “unaffiliated” and found these claimed belief in god and supernatural but were doing it without a forma l group. Apparently, in this study above, there are no atheists. All are religious just in different ways. 

Deconversion from religious dogma to no dogma may be the hardest conversion of all.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 29 January 2017 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2015-03-13
JSmith - 28 January 2017 07:21 PM
Sukhamaya (Sam) Bain - 28 January 2017 06:38 PM

Religions:

Pew and other drilled down into the “unaffiliated” and found these claimed belief in god and supernatural but were doing it without a forma l group. Apparently, in this study above, there are no atheists. All are religious just in different ways. 

Deconversion from religious dogma to no dogma may be the hardest conversion of all.

I suppose the CIA’s breakdown of the population on religious basis includes the ones that are irreligious. Obviously, atheism is no religion. I would count 22.8+0.6 = 23.4 as the percentage of people in the USA that were atheists and agnostics in 2014. It is likely to be higher now.

I like the word “deconversion”, as it implies people coming back to being normal intelligent human beings from the absurdity of believing in religious nonsense. Unfortunately, it is hard for people to give up what they have been intensively brainwashed with from their birth.

Posted: 29 January 2017 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2015-12-10

Assumption is the lowest form of knowledge…or it used to be. Today the lowest form of knowledge may start with the dogma of belief in the supernatural god…the assumptions about reality.
The third lowest form is that which you indicated you used in your math of adding 0.6. Supposition means you have some evidence but no proof. Supposition takes what is somehow “known” and arranges it conveniently to come up the the students desired results. In your case, the result is a larger number of atheists.

Now you can justify giving to CFI and supporting the astronomical salaries of activists and political agitating leaders who are paid directly to produce mediocre results with less than stellar academic efforts. I pause to say that former leader Lindsay did a great job on his analysis of Trump in the Huffington post. Perhaps he can finally be free to speak sensibly instead of politically and thus, be powerfully effective without BS of over-inflated political hate rhetoric.  I must also say this board is worth something to me in practicing with the poster posting children. Leaders as CFI have modeled how to have an argument and well, I feel there is much further to go.

If you want to go to a level of knowledge higher than supposition of say, the Master Degree level, you have to do your own research and do it more broadly. At times you will find you need to think hard enough to engage in primary or original research and answer questions those who are your academic leaders resist…usually for convenient, self serving political reasons.  To bring this full circle to the question at hand (so the vultures that circle this board do not claim this is a rant that is digressive), I point you to evidence beyond supposition and thus based in more useful facts on how many atheists there are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#United_States

The pattern is that the more private you get with people, the less they believe in the super natural and the more they rely on other facts of life. But to say there are over 20% atheists in the US is not justified. Still if there are 10%, that is 30Million. I would even go so far as to argue that a formal organization with a certain designation would be strategically powerful in holding the stupid lobbies of the religious arrogants at bay.

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2017 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Kooltrane - 28 January 2017 04:48 PM

I find it interesting that Dawkins questioned the number of supposed Christians in the US Congress.
Of course 99.9% claim they are devout, however according to Dawkins that is statistically impossible; hence many congressional
reps are lying about their religious beliefs.

Gee. What a shock.

Lying is particularly common among Christians.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 29 January 2017 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20

People who claim to believe in a god change their beliefs depending on the situation. Either they are prone to lying or they have no clue as to their actual beliefs. This is why we can’t trust anything a theist says about his or her beliefs. They change with the wind. Whatever is expedient to the issue is what they will say they believe. This is why polls are useless and invalid.

LL

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 29 January 2017 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2015-03-13
LoisL - 29 January 2017 01:23 PM

People who claim to believe in a god change their beliefs depending on the situation. Either they are prone to lying or they have no clue as to their actual beliefs. This is why we can’t trust anything a theist says about his or her beliefs. They change with the wind. Whatever is expedient to the issue is what they will say they believe. This is why polls are useless and invalid.

LL

I think ordinary people that are subject of polls mostly tell the truth; liars are the ones who use others’ religious beliefs for their benefit. As the USA is Christian-majority, pretending to be serious Christians can certainly help US politicians who need votes from religious morons. Most smart people, including the dishonest politicians, could not be serious believers of religious absurdity.

[ Edited: 29 January 2017 02:19 PM by Sukhamaya (Sam) Bain ]

Posted: 30 January 2017 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2015-12-10

All you say in response to the low level knowledge of supposition is non relevant to the power of Christians in real world politics and the lack of science in counting atheists.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2017 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
JSmith - 30 January 2017 08:10 PM

All you say in response to the low level knowledge of supposition is non relevant to the power of Christians in real world politics and the lack of science in counting atheists.

With apologies to Foghorn Leghorn, I understand the words you are saying but the way you are stringing them together makes no sense. Please translate this from Academia to common English.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 31 January 2017 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2015-03-13
DarronS - 31 January 2017 07:53 AM
JSmith - 30 January 2017 08:10 PM

With apologies to Foghorn Leghorn, I understand the words you are saying but the way you are stringing them together makes no sense. Please translate this from Academia to common English.

Thanks, Darron. Is Academia supposed to be incomprehensible?

Posted: 31 January 2017 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Sukhamaya (Sam) Bain - 31 January 2017 08:08 AM

Thanks, Darron. Is Academia supposed to be incomprehensible?

I’m pretty sure it is. I studied journalism and then got a degree with concentrations in environmental policy and communications so never had to try to impress my professors with lofty sounding prose.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2017 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Hey, JSmith, are you going to come back and explain that word salad you posted above?

Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2017 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14
JSmith - 29 January 2017 10:48 AM

To bring this full circle to the question at hand (so the vultures that circle this board do not claim this is a rant that is digressive), I point you to evidence beyond supposition and thus based in more useful facts on how many atheists there are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#United_States

Here’s a vulture swooping down….
People looking for “progress” based on how people identify themselves is mental masturbation.
There are absolutely no indicators or reasons to believe that a decrease in religious people or religious institutions will somehow make
society “better”.
Given the massive amount of perceived background illogicality or unreasonableness there is no way to weigh the impact of any additional effects from religion and it’s adherents.

It’s my supposition that religion is merely an extension of already existent factors of “illogicality” and perceived “unintelligence”.
Nothing is going to get “better”.
You folks have a perceived, contrived way of thinking how society should be. It’s mostly subjective and your chasing it down a rabbit hole
called “religion”.

Perhaps you could extrapolate on what an increase in atheists would result in, seeing as how your monitoring their numbers so closely?

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

1 of 2