Atheists and all types of freethinkers, less wrongers, and brights…hey even humanists can benefit by marketing together
Posted: 29 January 2017 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

I believe there is a battle for the mind and ownership of America.
As a country of individuals who share ideals embedded in the Constitution and enlarged in other works there is an assault on our nation and individuality. That assault is from all people who value a holy book over the laws of the US and the laws of freedom.

These persons have gathered together under generals committed to over throwing freedom and atheism in America and instituting Christian, Sharia, or Hebrew law. Their power is in their vote and unremitting commitment to mold laws to fit their religion. They promote candidates who support their agendas and make a mockery of atheists and humanists with impunity. Atheists have options other than the present buffet at CFI, Freedom Fest, Reason, and conferences. Those options are public proclamations of many sorts in great gatherings and common, naturally emerging, ideals.

Numbers really don’t matter. Reality does. We need enough to protect ourselves so no one stands alone to be persecuted without end. I suggest watching the work of Harvey Milk in his righteous and effective battle for gay rights in California. The gay community has come much further than atheists in my opinion.

I suggest a well publicized meeting where person after person stands to proclaim an agreed upon phrase identifying them as a free from religion. This phrase must be carefully worded and widely promoted and publicly proclaimed widely until it rings a danger to politicians who take the side of religion in:

Outlawing abortion options
Denying LGBTQ rights to life and liberty
Preference of religion over science
Removal of birth control options
Teaching Intelligent design over evolution
Public funding of religion and tax breaks for the religious indoctrination sites aka Churches
And the list goes on.

It is the publicity that wins and publicity of real faces in mass wins big time.
Perhaps this is going on and I’m just missing it but…I see little evidence of anything but political battles of the few (atheists) against the many (radical believers in an alternative constitution: bible). Why go to battle without full power? Gather more publicly and with audible voice and be counted and the politicians will get it…they get votes baby.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 29 January 2017 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2016-10-10

Doesn’t sound too realistic. A problem with atheists, et al is that we lack any sort of organic community, while the other side is rock solid.

That’s what matters.

[ Edited: 29 January 2017 06:40 PM by Beltane ]

Posted: 29 January 2017 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

Beltane is quite right. At this time, it is a hard row to hoe for atheists. In some ways, instead of worshiping gods, we worship physicists, biologists, and neuro scientists who describe life in radically reductionist terms. There is not god but life cannot be reduced to biology, to the cosmos, or to brain function. Yet these four are worshiped as strongly, but less dogmatically as christians worship Jesus. Jesus gives christians strength through his claim of superiority of being god. These others have no vision for action as a group which is the most highly valued structure in human evolution. Humans survive as groups not individuals. Individuals in groups that value freedom contribute to the group so it grows more powerful. Christians have no such growth potential We do.

Thanks for your insight.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 02 February 2017 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-02-02

This is all music to my ears of course, but I am not so sure that atheists, agnostics, humanists, or otherwise are so easy to unite under a single banner. Religious people are essentially sworn to a single dogma, enforcing a powerful group solidarity; but free thinkers are just that, free thinkers. I don’t know that a single code of ethics is a practical approach. Personally, I stand for secularism and all of the liberties that it presents us. That is my single focus, and it may be the only common goal that is guarenteed to be hared between the non-religious.

Posted: 03 February 2017 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14
Iron Kanabo - 02 February 2017 02:36 PM

This is all music to my ears of course, but I am not so sure that atheists, agnostics, humanists, or otherwise are so easy to unite under a single banner.

I think you’re right here.  For example, Trump is probably an atheist (as much as that thought sickens me), even though he waves the religion flag when it suits him.  Did you see the prayer breakfast the other day, when he joking asked them to pray for higher ratings on “The Apprentice”?  Gosh, I’ll bet the real religious people were offended by that remark, but of course they don’t dare to say so out loud.

Posted: 03 February 2017 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1577
Joined  2012-04-25

Yep, the basic problem is Liberals are Cats and Cons are Dogs, pack animals.

Posted: 04 February 2017 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
JSmith - 29 January 2017 08:14 PM

Beltane is quite right. At this time, it is a hard row to hoe for atheists. In some ways, instead of worshiping gods, we worship physicists, biologists, and neuro scientists who describe life in radically reductionist terms. There is not god but life cannot be reduced to biology, to the cosmos, or to brain function. Yet these four are worshiped as strongly, but less dogmatically as christians worship Jesus. Jesus gives christians strength through his claim of superiority of being god. These others have no vision for action as a group which is the most highly valued structure in human evolution. Humans survive as groups not individuals. Individuals in groups that value freedom contribute to the group so it grows more powerful. Christians have no such growth potential We do.

Thanks for your insight.

For the record I’m an atheist and I don’t worship physicists, biologists and neuro scientists, nor do any atheists I know. We don’t worship anything. We respect rational thought and rational thinkers and the empirical method. we worship nothing. We collect evidence and always leave the door open for evidence that contradicts prior discoveries. Worship is for believers in gods and myths. And I don’t see atheism as a hard row to hoe. It’s quite easy when you have the right equipment and know how to use it. IMO, it’s believers who have a hard row to hoe. They have no way of proving their ideas are correct. They live on hope.

Lois

[ Edited: 04 February 2017 12:26 AM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]