2 of 2
I am a New Humanist….or Athiest but I need opinions!
Posted: 15 February 2017 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10
NewHumanist - 13 February 2017 12:48 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

Hello New Humanist:
Grief is the feeling of loss. Loss of mom, dad, grandparents, relatives, even self.
What you may find, like many others have, both those who believed their life would never die and those who believed it was “the end”, is that as many others die around you that you know and you have lived a full life, body changing in the natural aging process…you get used to the idea of dealth. I know this from seven years of full time work at a large hospice as director of spiritual care. Even letting go of the idea of god and eternal life, alone or together, is a loss. What you are feeling is grief plus genuine scientific questions that tend to complicate the process.

One sure way to handle it is this but it won’t work for everyone depending on your thought processes. Obviously you are open and skeptical. That works greatly to your advantage in life.
First there is no evidence of anyone to meet you after death either a superman/god, angels, dead loved ones, or others. Yet believing there just maybe…may somehow be something is not outrageous though just an open question.
Second, if you decide to leave this open for now, let evidence appear and then just go about the rest of your real life here and now.
If you close the door, then whatever evidence might appear will, but you still go about the rest of your real life, here and now and be filled with joy and harmony in yourself.

Focus on the four factors of your life: Your body and things you have, your relationships and people in love and community, your money and financial energy, and your feelings and positive cognitive beliefs of a flourishing life.

Spirituality without god is the best gift to give yourself and share with others.
You decided your purpose day by day and overall. No other can tell you, not even the god who, evidently, does not exist and will degrade and spiritually rape autonomy if he does.
You decide what things mean for you by your own intellect and knowledge base.
You decide on your positive, personal, and pervasive experiment.

I wish you a full sense of purpose, meaning, and hope to enjoy and share as you desire.
Welcome

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 15 February 2017 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10
NewHumanist - 11 February 2017 07:49 PM

I just recently realized I am an atheist… I come from a religious background. Not super-religious but religious. I had doubts all along and could never settle into my Catholicism. In time I tried New Age religion and at another time tried “Christian” religions a.k.a Protestant religions. I tried for years and never could be satisfied.

So fine. I finally admit, I don’t believe in deities. That part is certain. I don’t believe the whole christian “thing”.

Thank you.

Belief is christianity is all or nothing. Either the NTestament is the word of god, lock stock and gun barrel of hell, and you as a degraded human or not. Once you chose this you can either go back or say “Sorry big guy in the sky” or not. Big guy demands all your mind, body, and life allegiance or you go to hell for calling “him” a “liar” or not. Most atheists say he is a legend that stole from humanity’s best minds. I do. He hates your soul of mind body and intellectual ability and says that if you determine “he” is wrong, then you are a daughter of sin, satan, sickness, and depravity. In the end, this is what “he” is. A wife beater. A person who want only worship from those who “he” wishes to dominate. Don’t follow and he will promise to destroy and kill. In all knowledge, this is fundamentally destructive and an effort to rule the world.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 12 May 2017 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-05-12
NewHumanist - 11 February 2017 07:49 PM

I just recently realized I am an atheist… I come from a religious background. Not super-religious but religious. I had doubts all along and could never settle into my Catholicism. In time I tried New Age religion and at another time tried “Christian” religions a.k.a Protestant religions. I tried for years and never could be satisfied.

So fine. I finally admit, I don’t believe in deities. That part is certain. I don’t believe the whole christian “thing”.

The problem is this. I am having a hard time with believing that once we die, we just cease to exist. I am struggling with that concept and wonder if this is normal. Do I have to believe that we just cease to exist? Can you be atheist and “hope” there is an afterlife? It just freaks me out to imagine that we just s t o p.

Maybe this is just the normal adjustment period for withdrawal from christianity. I liked the belief that there was an afterlife….

Thought? Help? Something to help me accept this?

Thank you.

It has probably been imprinted into you to not be able to visualize a cessation of life, er, death being the end of life from your religious upbringing. I know it was difficult when I first became nonreligious to cope with not knowing what came next, or just realizing that nothing came next. It’s for the same reason that “atheist”, if I were to hear it randomly, briefly has a negative subconscious response from most people, including myself (an atheist). You most likely have been primed to certain things in a certain environment.

Sure, it sucks that life stops when you die. But that is reality. It happens in all creatures, all the way up to mammals that seem to have humanesque (probably not a word) levels of apparent emotional response. You will get over the whole afterlife thing. We are just apes with very high cognitive skill. I know that is hard for some people to hear, but it is true. It doesn’t make life any less wonderful in realizing that it really is over when we die. For me, it makes me want to savor every day I have.

2 of 2