If we have a lot of energy?
Posted: 11 March 2017 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2017-03-08

As we all know, the wolrd is facing with lack of energy in the future. Fossil fuels is running out. We need to develop renewable energy resources to survive. But I wonder how the world will look like if we have a lot of energy that we can use them free??? Anyone here thinks about it?

Signature 

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

Posted: 12 March 2017 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2016-11-29

That is the fusion energy dream. Solar energy is ultimately fusion energy if the theory of the sun is correct. We are humans and have bodies that are meant to be used. Modern society is failing due to our use of high energy tools. Diabetes and obesity are signs. Until fusion energy becomes a reality we should try to live low energy lifestyles and use our bodies for work more. Technology may have no bounds, but humans do.

Posted: 14 March 2017 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1597
Joined  2016-12-24

Actually rather than worrying about dwindling energy sources, we should be worrying about our diminishing biosphere and the population explosion.

Humans: the real threat to life on Earth
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jun/30/stephen-emmott-ten-billion

We humans emerged as a species about 200,000 years ago. In geological time, that is really incredibly recent. Just 10,000 years ago, there were one million of us. By 1800, just over 200 years ago, there were 1 billion of us. By 1960, 50 years ago, there were 3 billion of us. There are now over 7 billion of us. By 2050, your children, or your children’s children, will be living on a planet with at least 9 billion other people. Some time towards the end of this century, there will be at least 10 billion of us. Possibly more.

We got to where we are now through a number of civilisation- and society-shaping “events”, most notably the agricultural revolution, the scientific revolution, the industrial revolution and – in the West – the public-health revolution. By 1980, there were 4 billion of us on the planet. Just 10 years later, in 1990, there were 5 billion of us. By this point initial signs of the consequences of our growth were starting to show. Not the least of these was on water. Our demand for water – not just the water we drank but the water we needed for food production and to make all the stuff we were consuming – was going through the roof. But something was starting to happen to water. ...

We’re Destroying the Planet in Ways That Are Even Worse Than Global Warming
4 ways humans are endangering life on Earth
OLIVER MILMAN JAN. 16, 2015
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/01/humans-destorying-planet-earth

Two major new studies by an international team of researchers have pinpointed the key factors that ensure a livable planet for humans, with stark results.

Of nine worldwide processes that underpin life on Earth, four have exceeded “safe” levels: human-driven climate change, loss of biosphere integrity, land system change, and the high level of phosphorus and nitrogen flowing into the oceans due to fertilizer use.

Planetary-boundaries.svg
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jan/15/rate-of-environmental-degradation-puts-life-on-earth-at-risk-say-scientists

Posted: 14 March 2017 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2794
Joined  2007-07-05

Richard Nixon sabotaged us by deep sixing the Molten Salt Reactor

MSRs where first developed in the U.S. in the 1950s for use in a nuclear-powered aircraft bomber (the idea being that the bomber could remain in the air indefinitely). Though a small experimental reactor ran successfully, the program was canceled when it became clear that in-air refueling of bombers was viable.

Under the supervision of Alvin Weinberg in the 1960s, Oak Ridge National Laboratory built an experimental MSR that ran successfully for four years. Weinberg realized early on that MSRs were the ideal type of reactor for civilian use because they cannot melt down. He was eventually fired by the Nixon administration for this advocacy.

How Molten Salt Reactors Might Spell a Nuclear Energy Revolution
http://www.zmescience.com/ecology/what-is-molten-salt-reactor-424343/

How much energy does it take to melt down a car to recycle the steel?  If we made products last longer would we need less energy?

I do find it curious that I never heard of Molten Salt Reactors in the 1960s.  Whenever we have a lot of something some people try to waste it.  The money is more important than the resource.

psik

Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History

Posted: 15 March 2017 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1561
Joined  2012-04-25

Interesting, but this just seems like a variation on a theme. Another thing though, is that whether nuclear or molten salt nuclear, I wonder how people realize it really boils down to (pardon the pun) steam power. All nuclear does is heat water which creates steam for a steam generator. That includes fusion if I’m not mistaken. That’s pretty low-tech if you think about it. What we need is a totally new source of energy, like harnessing gravity. Or more uses of harnessed magnetic power.

Posted: 15 March 2017 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

Flux capacitors

http://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor.html?stop_mobi=yes&ref=stop_mobile

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 15 March 2017 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1597
Joined  2016-12-24
DarronS - 15 March 2017 10:58 AM

Flux capacitors

http://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor.html?stop_mobi=yes&ref=stop_mobile

With time travel as an added bonus.    surprised

I’m impressed and all you add is plutonium. 

But, in all due honesty, the plutonium part weirds me out - but it sounds like a great plot for a movie maybe.

smile

Posted: 15 March 2017 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

But where are we going to find a working DeLorean these days?

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 16 March 2017 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2794
Joined  2007-07-05
CuthbertJ - 15 March 2017 10:22 AM

Interesting, but this just seems like a variation on a theme. Another thing though, is that whether nuclear or molten salt nuclear, I wonder how people realize it really boils down to (pardon the pun) steam power. All nuclear does is heat water which creates steam for a steam generator. That includes fusion if I’m not mistaken. That’s pretty low-tech if you think about it. What we need is a totally new source of energy, like harnessing gravity. Or more uses of harnessed magnetic power.

I don’t doubt that sooner or later we will develop some power source that will seem magical compared to our current understanding of physics but until then we must make do.

psik

Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History