2 of 3
Field Guide to the Conspiracy Theorist: Dark Minds
Posted: 17 March 2017 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1611
Joined  2016-12-24
DarronS - 17 March 2017 06:44 AM

I’m not going there. This thread is not about ... and ... paranoid delusion, although ... are a good example of the difference between a real conspiracy and conspiracy theory.

What are symptoms of the malady?
Four off the top of my head are:

Not processing incoming information.
Inability to enunciate specific questions and claims.
Jumping from one question(claim) to another, even as the first question(claim) is being acknowledged with hard information and evidence.
Abandoning issues rather than acknowledging overwhelming evidence.
_______ ...
_______ ...

On the other hand a Good Faith Student of life and Earth, (or physics or anything) defends their own position as capably as possible
When confronted with evidence that directly disputes their own information,
a genuine student tackles such information, sure to dispute, but mainly to learn from and understand. (either what ‘they’ got right or why it’s still wrong.)

Then further reading, such as checking out your ‘opponents’ links and info, actively trying to figure out what’s what.
When new information is solid and overwhelming, the serious student must readjust their outlook,
even if it hurts one’s feeling, and even if it requires the stages of denial, mourning acceptance and all that, before moving on in the real world.

Soul search and quite literally beating up on oneself over issues and information - that is the way of the true student.
As opposed to the dilettantes or contrarians or the rest.

Posted: 17 March 2017 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 14 March 2017 09:21 AM

Weirdly enough one of the more interesting articles I’ve ran through this morning comes from of all places the DailyMail

Believe in conspiracy theories? You’re probably a narcissist: People who doubt the moon landings are more likely to be selfish and attention-seeking

Psychologists from the University of Kent carried out three online studies

Hundreds of people completed questionnaires on conspiracy beliefs
They showed conspiracies are likely to be attractive to narcissists
But while low self-esteem, narcissism and belief in conspiracies are strongly linked, it is not clear that one causes the other, they add

By Ryan O’Hare for MailOnline
PUBLISHED: 12:26 EDT, 8 March 2016

One doesn’t have to cause the other. They may both be caused by another factor or set of factors. What causes
narcissism may also cause belief in conspiracy theories.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 18 March 2017 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4174
Joined  2009-10-21
CuthbertJ - 15 March 2017 07:53 PM
Beltane - 15 March 2017 03:45 PM
CuthbertJ - 14 March 2017 10:51 AM

The only problem with all of this, is that often times the so called conspiracy turns out to be true. So it’s also wrong to just write off every conspiracy as wacko. What perpetrators know too is that people tend to write off conspiracies because they don’t want to be considered nutjobs. So the perps purposely engage operatives to get the word out so to speak that something they’re doing IS a conspiracy.

Which conspiracies have turned out to be true?

Gulf of Tonkin, US Gov experimenting with psychedelic drugs on unwilling subjects, US Gov selling arms to enemies, CIA overthrowing Iran/1953, US Gov overthrowing numerous democratically elected presidents of South American countries, and on and on. In each of these cases, at the time, these were considered “just a bunch of hogwash conspiracies”. Except that they turned out to be true. Of course in retrospect we just consider them history. But at the time, they were conspiracies.

It’s your very loose use of the word “often” that bothers me. There is a deluge of conspiracy theories at the moment, and very few of them are true. Also, they persist. People still write books about Nostradamus. All of your examples were exposed within a few years. They hardly compare to the sort of secret uber-government theories where everything is controlled by forces we can’t see.

Posted: 18 March 2017 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 14 March 2017 09:13 AM

On a slightly related note.

Clinton vs. Trump: Talking to the Reptilian Brain
The messages that stick paint a picture that trigger emotion and instinct
Posted Oct 11, 2016

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/positively-media/201610/clinton-vs-trump-talking-the-reptilian-brain

Why does Donald Trump do well in the post-debate analysis when he doesn’t answer questions, repeatedly goes off topic, and refers to things that are incorrect or irrelevant? Why doesn’t Hillary Clinton emerge with a clear advantage when she answers questions, is fairly accurate and, for the most part, stays on point and doesn’t get too nasty? The answer lies in the reptilian brain—the part of the brain that filters messaging. The messages that stick are those that trigger instinct and emotion.

The Economist ran a cartoon a couple of weeks ago that summed it up for me. The cartoon had Clinton explaining how something needed careful analysis and thoughtful consideration. I don’t remember the words. Trump’s bubble said “Loser.” And that’s what I remember.

The winner of a debate is the one who paints the most pictures that make us feel something, independent of context or reason. The key is HOW they message, not WHAT they say. I’m not talking politics, except insofar as this impacts voting results. I’m not picking sides. I’m talking about the way our brains work. ...

Whether you like it or not, Trump is just a better picture painter. He makes pictures that trigger emotion. Even if you don’t agree with what he’s saying or even if what he’s saying has nothing to do with the question at hand, he paints an image that sticks—most often one that is a threat to the listener’s existence. Trump lays the blame for the fear and uncertainty on Clinton or elsewhere. It makes no sense, of course, but our brain doesn’t care; it is scared and wants to feel safe again. Trump doesn’t even have to say he’s the answer.

The inner working of the human brain and the neural processing that result in our thoughts, feelings and actions is complex. ...

Who knows, maybe there’s some interesting conversation potential here . . .

Trump is drawing cartoons and crayon scribble. It appeals to the least sensible, least educated segment of society, which is apparently the fastest growing segment. If Trump has his way, it will continue to grow exponentially.

It stands to reason that some tiny part of a conspiracy theory may appear to have an element of truth in it, though it’s almost always misdefined and blown way out of proportion. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

[ Edited: 20 March 2017 12:01 PM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

Posted: 20 March 2017 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1561
Joined  2012-04-25
Lausten - 18 March 2017 06:11 AM
CuthbertJ - 15 March 2017 07:53 PM
Beltane - 15 March 2017 03:45 PM
CuthbertJ - 14 March 2017 10:51 AM

The only problem with all of this, is that often times the so called conspiracy turns out to be true. So it’s also wrong to just write off every conspiracy as wacko. What perpetrators know too is that people tend to write off conspiracies because they don’t want to be considered nutjobs. So the perps purposely engage operatives to get the word out so to speak that something they’re doing IS a conspiracy.

Which conspiracies have turned out to be true?

Gulf of Tonkin, US Gov experimenting with psychedelic drugs on unwilling subjects, US Gov selling arms to enemies, CIA overthrowing Iran/1953, US Gov overthrowing numerous democratically elected presidents of South American countries, and on and on. In each of these cases, at the time, these were considered “just a bunch of hogwash conspiracies”. Except that they turned out to be true. Of course in retrospect we just consider them history. But at the time, they were conspiracies.

It’s your very loose use of the word “often” that bothers me. There is a deluge of conspiracy theories at the moment, and very few of them are true. Also, they persist. People still write books about Nostradamus. All of your examples were exposed within a few years. They hardly compare to the sort of secret uber-government theories where everything is controlled by forces we can’t see.

Very true, which is part of the problem/appeal of conspiracy theories. It’s kinda like poetry…everyone can write poetry, there’s tons of it out there, lots of it great, more of it bad, AND worse yet, even the same poet can create excellent and horrible poetry.

Part of what you mention, Nostradamus, etc. though has a commercial aspect to it. There’s lots of money to be made in Nostradamus, Ancient Aliens, etc. For the bigger stuff, like uber governments, that’s a tough one too. I happen to believe nine eleven was an inside job. Unfortunately so does a kook like Alex Jones who also thinks awful things about immigrants. So he gives one theory a bad name because of his belief in others.  Reminds me of that scene in Close Encounters, where they all had a “conspiracy theory” that there were aliens. So the gov gathers them all, including one nutjob who claimed to have seen Bigfoot. He tells his story, which is totally goofy, thereby making his belief in aliens appear goofy too, even though, in the context of the movie at least it was true.

[ Edited: 20 March 2017 06:53 AM by CuthbertJ ]

Posted: 20 March 2017 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14
CuthbertJ - 20 March 2017 06:49 AM

I happen to believe nine eleven was an inside job.

Look at this little gem tucked away in here!

Unfortunately so does a kook like Alex Jones who also thinks awful things about immigrants. So he gives one theory a bad name because of his belief in others. 

Yes Cuthbert, Alex Jones gives your “inside job” theory a bad name. If it wasn’t for him, more people would probably come around, no?
LOL

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 21 March 2017 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
VYAZMA - 20 March 2017 08:46 AM

Unfortunately so does a kook like Alex Jones who also thinks awful things about immigrants. So he gives one theory a bad name because of his belief in others. 

Yes Cuthbert, Alex Jones gives your “inside job” theory a bad name. If it wasn’t for him, more people would probably come around, no?
LOL

It must be nice being such a naive and trusting person in such an honest and open world.

Posted: 21 March 2017 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
CuthbertJ - 21 March 2017 06:53 AM

It must be nice being such a naive and trusting person in such an honest and open world.

Hmmmn…I wish I could be as astute and pragmatic as you Cuthbert. But alas…

Unfortunately so does a kook like Alex Jones

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2017 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

LOL

I’m interested, Cuthbert, in hearing the details of the inside job. Care to explain?

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 23 March 2017 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
LoisL - 22 March 2017 08:11 PM

LOL

I’m interested, Cuthbert, in hearing the details of the inside job. Care to explain?

Lois

Discussed ad nauseum in other threads. Suffice it to say step 1 in their plan was to impeach Clinton, which they did successfully. Step 2 was to install a lackey as president, i.e. W, and a real powerbroker at the same time, i.e. Cheney. The rest is history.

Posted: 23 March 2017 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
CuthbertJ - 23 March 2017 10:02 AM

Suffice it to say step 1 in their plan was to impeach Clinton, which they did successfully. Step 2 was to install a lackey as president, i.e. W, and a real powerbroker at the same time, i.e. Cheney. The rest is history.

Yessss! Love it!! LOL
Wooo hooo!!

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2017 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

Back on point - the ability to be blinded

There is not a shred of evidence that a floor ever broke loose from the core and perimeter.

What can you do with something like that.
{I couldn’t comment over there, but it’s simply too stupefying a question not to point out.}
Things like that remind me of how hopeless it actually is.

Posted: 27 March 2017 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  2794
Joined  2007-07-05
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 26 March 2017 08:41 PM

Back on point - the ability to be blinded

There is not a shred of evidence that a floor ever broke loose from the core and perimeter.

What can you do with something like that.
{I couldn’t comment over there, but it’s simply too stupefying a question not to point out.}
Things like that remind me of how hopeless it actually is.

People have been posting diagrams of truss connections for years.  Funny how the number of truss connections is never mentioned.

Try finding it.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History

Posted: 27 March 2017 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

Why would anybody bother?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM

Hell they aren’t even testing why fuel would take a 90° turn when it gets to an elevator shaft.  wink

Posted: 01 April 2017 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  2794
Joined  2007-07-05
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 27 March 2017 08:07 PM

Why would anybody bother?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM

Hell they aren’t even testing why fuel would take a 90° turn when it gets to an elevator shaft.  wink

That is the irony that makes “Center for Inquiry” so amusing.  LOL

Can’t see how obviously peculiar it is that a significant amount of fuel could go down hundreds of feet of elevator shaft and exit at the lobby.  Among other things!

psik

Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History

2 of 3