3 of 4
Is listening a art?
Posted: 27 March 2017 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

I agree with most of what you said, AMH, except for “Listening is hearing, hearing is a sense. ” Listening and hearing are different things. Hearing is physical. Sound waves hit your eardrums and your brain interprets them. Listening is active, and as such is a skill that needs developing. You can’t listen to someone when you’re processing your response. You can hear them quite well, but that isn’t the same as listening and thinking about what the person is saying. Is listening an art? Depends upon how you define art, I suppose. I call it a skill.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 27 March 2017 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2015-11-28

And I agree that listening and hearing can be different things as sight ang seeing, taste and eating, touch and feeling et cetera.

Posted: 30 March 2017 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  1635
Joined  2010-04-22

In Ken Burns’ jazz history documentary, he has some nice interviews with Wynton Marsalis. In one he observes on listening, that listening to deep music (I think he cited Beethoven) one needs to trust that the mental attention given to the music will return rewards before one can truly appreciate it.

IMHO that’s a pretty good way of thinking about listening in general, not just to music. And in general, like in music, it does seem like people generally don’t provide that mental attention to unfamiliar subjects if they don’t have to. That is definitely a frustration of many musicians who are trying to further that art.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 30 March 2017 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

Trombone, do you think we need to be encouraged to concentrate on outstanding aspects of daily living.  I do.  We have so much distraction, it’s too easy to let the beautiful aspects not be fully appreciated.

Posted: 30 March 2017 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  1635
Joined  2010-04-22
AMH - 30 March 2017 02:55 PM

Trombone, do you think we need to be encouraged to concentrate on outstanding aspects of daily living.  I do.  We have so much distraction, it’s too easy to let the beautiful aspects not be fully appreciated.

Maybe. It depends on the person. I think that many people don’t have major problems finding reasonably enjoyable ways of living. I think it’s more of an issue that people simply are not very open to new experiences, as a general rule, even if those experiences can be amazing. People don’t generally seek them out.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 30 March 2017 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2015-11-28
TromboneAndrew - 30 March 2017 05:51 PM
AMH - 30 March 2017 02:55 PM

Maybe. It depends on the person. I think that many people don’t have major problems finding reasonably enjoyable ways of living. I think it’s more of an issue that people simply are not very open to new experiences, as a general rule, even if those experiences can be amazing. People don’t generally seek them out.

Yes, I think so too. That is why I’m thinking more effort may help those who travel in very local circles to find interest in thinking out side of their box.

Posted: 30 March 2017 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
AMH - 30 March 2017 07:16 PM

Yes, I think so too. That is why I’m thinking more effort may help those who travel in very local circles to find interest in thinking out side of their box.

I used to think that too, but over the decades I’ve learned that the vast majority of people who don’t think outside the box aren’t interested in doing so. They do not want to think outside their own boxes, so they create arguments clever enough to delude themselves their beliefs are true. They deliberately ignore facts to maintain their ideologies. That’s what we’re up against.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 31 March 2017 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2015-11-28
DarronS - 30 March 2017 07:59 PM
AMH - 30 March 2017 07:16 PM

I used to think that too, but over the decades I’ve learned that the vast majority of people who don’t think outside the box aren’t interested in doing so. They do not want to think outside their own boxes, so they create arguments clever enough to delude themselves their beliefs are true. They deliberately ignore facts to maintain their ideologies. That’s what we’re up against.

Sure, I’ve been watching the behavior of people for 7 decades.  But, you don’t need to observe others for long to know most people are resistant to change.  We are creatures of habit and that’s OK.

People who have sought education in terms of a world view and have experienced “Sociological Imagination, C. Wright Mills defined sociological imagination as “the vivid awareness of the relationship between personal experience and the wider society”

To my point we need to exert more effort to help others to reexamine their box. There are ways to interest others in the concept of social imagination ang self awareness without getting on the atheist/theist soap box. Or giving up on others In their self imposed box.

[ Edited: 31 March 2017 05:28 AM by AMH ]

Posted: 01 April 2017 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2007-08-05

We fail to see what is being dealt with here is someones idea. Idea has no value of truth beyond the thought and acceptance of it. Because the majority attach themselves to it does not mean it is so. And because in one circle of living one is considered intellectually super, does not mean their idea is the defining evidence of what is being discussed universally.

To this writer it is about being Sacred, or true to ones self without attachment to without to a church, organization, community, country, or nation which project an idea which ones soul cries upon becoming aware of.  cry because ones soul knows if such projection and ideas were the truth of what is sacred and holy, then the tumults which has constituted wars and financial upheaval in the world today could not exist. What is sacred is what brings peace and harmony to an individuals life, and that harmony is absorbed by all who come into contact with such a being, and practice that harmony with the knowledge that such practice has changed the world around them for the better.
Is listening a art, that is perspective individualized. 

From my perspective one must stop listening to what they are saying, and say what they are listening to.  Figure that out.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa

Signature 

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa

You are never alone!

Posted: 01 April 2017 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2015-11-28
jufa - 01 April 2017 09:06 AM

We fail to see what is being dealt with here is someones idea. Idea has no value of truth beyond the thought and acceptance of it. Because the majority attach themselves to it does not mean it is so. And because in one circle of living one is considered intellectually super, does not mean their idea is the defining evidence of what is being discussed universally.

To this writer it is about being Sacred, or true to ones self without attachment to without to a church, organization, community, country, or nation which project an idea which ones soul cries upon becoming aware of.  cry because ones soul knows if such projection and ideas were the truth of what is sacred and holy, then the tumults which has constituted wars and financial upheaval in the world today could not exist. What is sacred is what brings peace and harmony to an individuals life, and that harmony is absorbed by all who come into contact with such a being, and practice that harmony with the knowledge that such practice has changed the world around them for the better.
Is listening a art, that is perspective individualized. 

From my perspective one must stop listening to what they are saying, and say what they are listening to.  Figure that out.

I don’t have a good understanding of what you are talking about, sorry.

Posted: 01 April 2017 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
AMH - 31 March 2017 05:25 AM

To my point we need to exert more effort to help others to reexamine their box. There are ways to interest others in the concept of social imagination ang self awareness without getting on the atheist/theist soap box. Or giving up on others In their self imposed box.

I’m interested in hearing how we can help others develop their social imagination. I’ve tried and failed many times.

Signature 

Posted: 01 April 2017 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2015-11-28
DarronS - 01 April 2017 10:09 AM
AMH - 31 March 2017 05:25 AM

I’m interested in hearing how we can help others develop their social imagination. I’ve tried and failed many times.

DarronS, I do believe there are people who can become interested in looking outside of the world, the box they pace around in every day as they are riding the planet around in circles. 

I can’t say that I have been any more successful than you have been. It may not be possible with some older adults. I think there is attrition among bigoted older adults with fewer young better educated people replacing them as they die off.

Posted: 01 April 2017 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2007-08-05

AMH states:

“I don’t have a good understanding of what you are talking about, sorry.”

That’s okay AMH, for in reality you can’t understand I am saying, just as I cannot understand what you are saying, for we are speaking either from intellectual book knowledge, or experience.  Our output on intellectual book knowledge is based on our assumption of what has been, in correlation to what we have experienced, which is really a guess as to what is being said from the writers position.  And our experiences are based on our five senses, and for some a six sense.  In either case we pit our idea of hear-say, and our experiences up against deductive ideals of determinism of what the collective mass assume, and so, we add to both to enhance our ego.  Nonetheless, what can another person understand about my touch, taste, smell, hearing, and sight that is exactly as I have experienced it?  It can’t be done.  And thus, if I want to stay true to the reality of me, it doesn’t matter whether an individual seek to prove me right or wrong, as long as I know I am the captain of my ship. 

So the gist of the question is what is listening to you, and how will it expand the discovery of you?

Signature 

You are never alone!

Posted: 01 April 2017 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

That’s okay AMH, for in reality you can’t understand I am saying, just as I cannot understand what you are saying, And thus, if I want to stay true to the reality of me, it doesn’t matter whether an individual seek to prove me right or wrong, as long as I know I am the captain of my ship. 

In reality jufa I can understand what a lot of folks say, even LoisL, just not you.  Have you ever been a captain of a ship? I have.

Posted: 01 April 2017 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2007-08-05
AMH - 01 April 2017 04:20 PM

That’s okay AMH, for in reality you can’t understand I am saying, just as I cannot understand what you are saying, And thus, if I want to stay true to the reality of me, it doesn’t matter whether an individual seek to prove me right or wrong, as long as I know I am the captain of my ship. 

In reality jufa I can understand what a lot of folks say, even LoisL, just not you.  Have you ever been a captain of a ship? I have.

Yep, the greatest ship of all, the ship of life.

Signature 

You are never alone!

3 of 4