Were God and Jesus LIARS?
Posted: 27 March 2017 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2008-11-10

Dr. James McGrath said in a blog post last year that :

“I found myself wondering whether Jesus might have been viewed by the Gospel author as, like God, above such ethical matters just as God could be depicted as sending a lying spirit to deceive a king (1 Kings 22:22). I also wonder whether Jesus might be an example of the appropriateness of deception in order to preserve oneself in a context of persecution.” see http://www.patheos.com/blogs/religionprof/2016/08/snts-third-main-paper-and-simultaneous-short-papers.html

What do you think of Dr. James McGrath calling Jesus and God liars?

Posted: 27 March 2017 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-05-25
john76 - 27 March 2017 04:41 PM

“I found myself wondering whether Jesus might have been viewed by the Gospel author as, like God, above such ethical matters just as God could be depicted as sending a lying spirit to deceive a king (1 Kings 22:22). I also wonder whether Jesus might be an example of the appropriateness of deception in order to preserve oneself in a context of persecution.” see http://www.patheos.com/blogs/religionprof/2016/08/snts-third-main-paper-and-simultaneous-short-papers.html

You’re getting no traction here and in SHF.

Posted: 28 March 2017 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1444
Joined  2016-12-24

SHF   ?

Posted: 28 March 2017 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-05-25
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 28 March 2017 06:28 AM

SHF   ?

He posts at the Sam Harris Forum, as do I.

Posted: 28 March 2017 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2011-09-13

There is no god and the existence of the historical Jesus is doubtful so since they were not they could not be liars or anything else for that matter.

Posted: 28 March 2017 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2008-11-10

In case anyone is interested in the topic of “Lies and Deception” in the ancient world, I’m starting a new Blog on that topic called “Palpatine’s Way.”  My first post on “Lying in the Judeo Christian and Greek traditions” is now up here:

http://palpatinesway.blogspot.com/

My next two posts will be on Dr. Ehrman’s forgery books, and Tricksters in the ancient world.

Stop by and let me know what you think!

John

Posted: 28 March 2017 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4060
Joined  2009-10-21

I was thinking that your posts are like blogs.  Good on ya John.

Posted: 28 March 2017 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7741
Joined  2009-02-26

Were God and Jesus LIARS?

No, only the people who claim to speak with either.or both.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 March 2017 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4248
Joined  2014-06-20
deros - 28 March 2017 07:35 AM

There is no god and the existence of the historical Jesus is doubtful so since they were not they could not be liars or anything else for that matter.

How do hou know there’s no god?

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]