3 of 11
Why should a person get to define their gender?
Posted: 12 April 2017 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14

Yes Ex machina, I have seen some of this news. I also watched a short clip of the Prof’s statements.
Oh it’s agenda driven. It really has little to do with anyone’s sexual proclivities.

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 12 April 2017 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  1464
Joined  2016-12-24

#27 gets the ribbon.

CuthbertJ - 12 April 2017 10:32 AM

Very interesting thread. IMHO what we’re all suffering from is anti-Conservatism Syndrome. The Cons have been so divisive and well just plains aholes ever since Reagan came to town that it’s hard to have civil thoughts and differences of opinion. I know I feel it. I don’t want to admit even for a second that the effin Righties have a legit idea, and when I express my own opinion, I’m sick and tired of being nice about it only to get beat on the head by some Con. As this is showing itself in this thread. The underlying idea seems to be gender is turning out to be a fluid thing. And that’s very hard to rectify with our current culture. But maybe there’s nothing to it. In 50 years all bathrooms for example might be unisex (look even that term is baked into our culture). Bathrooms will be unigendered. We won’t think of a middle aged man going into a little girls bathroom as a sexually perverse thing because sex crimes will have been dealt with. Just speculating. Point being, I don’t think anyone’s being a bigot here, it’s just so hard to discuss in a civil manner something that has been tied into a complete knot.

Odd the problems people create for themselves, when the living is too easy.
Or as the religious crowd might echo:“idle hands are the devil’s playground.”

Posted: 12 April 2017 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  1464
Joined  2016-12-24
CuthbertJ - 12 April 2017 10:32 AM

In 50 years all bathrooms for example might be unisex (look even that term is baked into our culture). Bathrooms will be unigendered. We won’t think of a middle aged man going into a little girls bathroom as a sexually perverse thing because sex crimes will have been dealt with. Just speculating.

I felt uncomfortable with this line, even deleted my post.  Only to rewrite it despite my queasiness getting through those lines.

Then, just now, upon rereading the post, It comes to me -  all of today’s young aware women, mother’s passing along their wisdom and awareness to their little girls, who are busy processing the world around them - I imagine them little girls are going to be capable of kicking ass on those twisted old guys - not only, rhetorically/psychologically, but I dare say physically, self-defensively also.  Rights aren’t given, they are demanded and taken.  Don’t underestimate those little girls.

Although sadly in our real world, fifty years down the line, who’s left is going to be busy with way more fundamental concerns.

Posted: 13 April 2017 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  1310
Joined  2005-01-14
ExMachina - 12 April 2017 07:55 AM

Seriously people here need to know what a bigot is. It’s an intolerance of other peoples views. Just because I disagree doesn’t make me a bigot. If I go out, and refuse to let people express their point, attack them, or berate them on every corner for having different views, then that would make me a bigot. This is EXACTLY what modern liberals have been doing in the past two years. (I’m being conservative with my numbers.

See what I mean?  Now you seem to be saying that everybody who disagrees with you is a bigot.  And Liberalism seems to bother you more than your original topic did.

So you wouldn’t mind me being a 46 year old guy going into the little girls room to take a piss?

I don’t know.  Would you really do that?  But oh that would make you one of those “queers” that you’re so hopped up against.

Also, you’re missing my other point. Gender is now being recognized as non-binary.

That’s because it is.  See Lois’ original point.  Look, never mind.  We’ve both made our opinions clear enough.  That’s good enough for me.

Posted: 13 April 2017 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  697
Joined  2010-07-01
Advocatus - 13 April 2017 07:03 AM
ExMachina - 12 April 2017 07:55 AM

Seriously people here need to know what a bigot is. It’s an intolerance of other peoples views. Just because I disagree doesn’t make me a bigot. If I go out, and refuse to let people express their point, attack them, or berate them on every corner for having different views, then that would make me a bigot. This is EXACTLY what modern liberals have been doing in the past two years. (I’m being conservative with my numbers.

See what I mean?  Now you seem to be saying that everybody who disagrees with you is a bigot.  And Liberalism seems to bother you more than your original topic did.

So you wouldn’t mind me being a 46 year old guy going into the little girls room to take a piss?

I don’t know.  Would you really do that?  But oh that would make you one of those “queers” that you’re so hopped up against.

Also, you’re missing my other point. Gender is now being recognized as non-binary.

That’s because it is.  See Lois’ original point.  Look, never mind.  We’ve both made our opinions clear enough.  That’s good enough for me.

Swing, and a miss.

If you really can’t tell when I’m using examples, then I think it’s better if you just don’t get involved in this discussion.

[ Edited: 13 April 2017 07:29 AM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 13 April 2017 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

If you don’t agree with me stay out of the discussion.

There. Fixed it for you.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 13 April 2017 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
DarronS - 13 April 2017 08:21 AM

If you don’t agree with me stay out of the discussion.

There. Fixed it for you.

Lol! You’re one to talk.

Posted: 13 April 2017 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  1541
Joined  2012-04-25

ExM and VY - I do see how the left is getting too far gone, almost rightie like. But I think it’s not necessarily something about their ideology, which is basically mine too. It used to be the righties had opposite viewpoints. Then they got downright beligerent and began taking action, at any cost. Liberals in response were, and in many cases still are, pansies by comparison. We try to use reason and compassion and so on, all the while the righties are figuratively and in some cases literally beating liberals down. Fox News plays into it - they’re willingness to outright lie to their audience, being a far right propaganda machine. So when liberals try to fight back, they’re beaten down by morons. So I think over time that’s taken its toll and now we’re stooping to their level. Unfortunately, Drumpf has proven you can do or say anything and still be successful. So the level of discourse has suffered as a result and liberals have been forced to likewise go overboard.

In regards to this thread, it may be perfectly true that gender is a totally mental construct. Fine, but that’s a 22nd century idea. And when Liberals try to jam that into a early 20th, almost 19th century society (or at least the Conservative half of it) it just isn’t gonna work. And holding your breath and closing your eyes and screaming I want it, I want it, doesn’t help.

[ Edited: 13 April 2017 10:25 AM by CuthbertJ ]

Posted: 13 April 2017 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
CuthbertJ - 13 April 2017 10:21 AM

ExM and VY - I do see how the left is getting too far gone, almost rightie like. But I think it’s not necessarily something about their ideology, which is basically mine too. It used to be the righties had opposite viewpoints. Then they got downright beligerent and began taking action, at any cost. Liberals in response were, and in many cases still are, pansies by comparison. We try to use reason and compassion and so on, all the while the righties are figuratively and in some cases literally beating liberals down. Fox News plays into it - they’re willingness to outright lie to their audience, being a far right propaganda machine. So when liberals try to fight back, they’re beaten down by morons. So I think over time that’s taken its toll and now we’re stooping to their level. Unfortunately, Drumpf has proven you can do or say anything and still be successful. So the level of discourse has suffered as a result and liberals have been forced to likewise go overboard.

In regards to this thread, it may be perfectly true that gender is a totally mental construct. Fine, but that’s a 22nd century idea. And when Liberals try to jam that into a early 20th, almost 19th century society (or at least the Conservative half of it) it just isn’t gonna work. And holding your breath and closing your eyes and screaming I want it, I want it, doesn’t help.

look at this Forum weirdness!! When I quote you more of your text is revealed that wasn’t on your post.
Oh I see, you were in the middle of an edit….What timing!

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2017 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

In regards to this thread, it may be perfectly true that gender is a totally mental construct.

Hmmnn. Wow such authority on the subject.
Please explain how you think gender is “a totally” mental construct.

Explain now. Please, go ahead. Let’s hear your ideas on how gender is a mental construct.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2017 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
VYAZMA - 13 April 2017 10:52 AM

In regards to this thread, it may be perfectly true that gender is a totally mental construct.

Explain now. Please, go ahead. Let’s hear your ideas on how gender is a mental construct.

If they were to argue that the mind of a transgender was biologically more inclined to be the opposite gender due to higher levels of testosterone/estrogen, then we’d have at least some common ground for discussion, but the idea that they believe that it’s completely a mental construct baffles me.

Posted: 13 April 2017 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
ExMachina - 13 April 2017 11:02 AM

If they were to argue that the mind of a transgender was biologically more inclined to be the opposite gender due to higher levels of testosterone/estrogen, then we’d have at least some common ground for discussion, but the idea that they believe that it’s completely a mental construct baffles me.

There you go.
The best approach here is to ask, “What makes an ordinary woman of 31 years mentally construct that she is a women?”
The answers are readily available in biology. It genes, it’s brain structure itself, hormones, chemicals, psychological/behavioral identity.
Different organs and appendages-genitalia.

But I’d still like to hear how some of these folks think gender is “totally” a mental construct.
Well they can’t do it. So they try to hijack vocabulary and use language as their only defense by insisting that sex and gender are separate things.
Gender and sex have always meant the exact same thing until recently.
They both have meant are you male or female?...as indicated by your birth certificate. As indicated by what you would normally identify as
99.999% of the time in people.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2017 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
VYAZMA - 13 April 2017 11:19 AM
ExMachina - 13 April 2017 11:02 AM

There you go.
The best approach here is to ask, “What makes an ordinary woman of 31 years mentally construct that she is a women?”
The answers are readily available in biology. It genes, it’s brain structure itself, hormones, chemicals, psychological/behavioral identity.
Different organs and appendages-genitalia.

But I’d still like to hear how some of these folks think gender is “totally” a mental construct.
Well they can’t do it. So they try to hijack vocabulary and use language as their only defense by insisting that sex and gender are separate things.
Gender and sex have always meant the exact same thing until recently.
They both have meant are you male or female?...as indicated by your birth certificate. As indicated by what you would normally identify as
99.999% of the time in people.

Then we go onto the next part of the argument. They ask me when the discrimation ends. I’ll ask when does it ever begin? How about I one day say that I’m a cat, and I now demand that all restaurants make litterboxes available for my personal needs lest I sue them. I feel confident that DarronS will support me on my feline needs, and call everyone a bigot who dare tell me I’m not a cat.

Spam filter is going wild again.

[ Edited: 13 April 2017 12:20 PM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 13 April 2017 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
ExMachina - 13 April 2017 12:18 PM

They ask me when the discrimation ends. I’ll ask when does it ever begin? How about I one day say that I’m a cat, and I now demand that all restaurants make litterboxes available for my personal needs lest I sue them. I feel confident that DarronS will support me on my feline needs, and call everyone a bigot who dare tell me I’m not a cat.

Spam filter is going wild again.

I sask when will the discrimination against the discriminators end?
These Left Wing Loonies are saying that parents that don’t want that stuff taught in their schools are ignorant or bigots.

Who would want their children taught that TG is normal?
Who would want their kids taught that people who think they are cats are normal?
Why would anyone teach that a person who wants to be Handicapped should be allowed to have their legs amputated?
Because they “identify” as amputees?

How is this bigotry?
I wouldn’t want the story of Creationism taught in schools.
Why would I want scientific facts to be mangled up in other ways? ie Gender is a mental construct.

No, Transgender is a Mental Construct. That much is known.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2017 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  1541
Joined  2012-04-25

Oy you missed my point. I didn’t say it was a mental construct, I was saying EVEN IF it was determined to be that way, as some suggest, it’s an advanced concept, too much for current day, and liberals don’t seem to understand this.

3 of 11