3 of 3
Will atheists help
Posted: 17 May 2017 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7469
Joined  2009-02-26

Yazata said,
Well “evolution being a long, drawn out process” is kind of an old thinking..in a way.
There is no set speed limit or time duration for evolution. Certainly different species evolved faster or slower than others.
While other species along side of those species didn’t evolve at all. Or were done “evolving” for the time being.

I agree. Some species evolve with every generation.  The Locust is a perfect example.  In one generation it became resistant to DDT, the next generation became immune to DDT and Other pesticides. Today, locust require so much poison that all crops which were subject to a locust attack, has to be destroyed, because the concentration of pesticides makes it no longer fit for human consumption.

IMO, the term Domestication just means having a controlled environment to raise food sources. In the case of selective breeding for certain traits is using natural evolutionary practices, but in a controlled way, not by natural selection, but by human selection (in an imitation of natural functions.

Probably the shortest evolutionary process is the process of metamorphosis, from one state of being, to an entirely unrecognizable state of being.  From Caterpillar to Butterfly is the most amazing evolutionary feat invented by DNA to date, IMO. 

If I believed in miracles, I would cite this astounding change from a ugly crawling eating machine to an exquisitely beautiful butterfly as proof .

Think of the switches contained in the butterfly’s DNA. One set orders the formation of the caterpillar. But, much later, the DNA switches on the metamorphic phase of growth and creates a whole new form, unrecognizable from the first stage of growth form. Truly astounding in all respects.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 May 2017 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
AMH - 13 April 2017 11:05 AM
CuthbertJ - 13 April 2017 10:31 AM

I look at it a little differently. We’ll get to the point you discuss once the disease of unfettered capitalism has run its course. But I agree someday we’ll stop being the conquerors of all we survey, and instead become curators.

I don’t think unfettered capitalism will run its course until there is very little left of Human Resources and planetary natural resources to exploit. Do you think it is wise to wait until exploitation has run its course?

Our species needs more training to change to a sustainable source free of the agenda of religion. And not at all the kind you get from religious leaders. They are some of the main exploiters.

Trust me, in this area atheists are very active in helping save humanity from the religious dogma that, “God’s will be done” and are actively working on possible solutions to combat our depletion of precious (limited) resources.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 May 2017 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  370
Joined  2015-11-28

Nice starter.

From#25

My plan in brief is to relegate all supernatural aspects of Christianity to the dustbin of all religious and continue cultural social positives that actually serve the communities of their area.

Atheists could be a positive force if they could change tack from arguing a none solvable argument and adopt an evolutionist argument against the non-event of creationism.

Posted: 17 May 2017 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
AMH - 17 May 2017 05:48 AM

Nice starter.

From#25

My plan in brief is to relegate all supernatural aspects of Christianity to the dustbin of all religious and continue cultural social positives that actually serve the communities of their area.

Atheists could be a positive force if they could change tack from arguing a none solvable argument and adopt an evolutionist argument against the non-event of creationism.

The problem with the “establishment clause” is that each side believes it infringes on their rights, not realizing it pertains to both equally.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 17 May 2017 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

Yes there are plenty of real problems to solve moving forward.  Humans can describe problems they cannot solve.  We are at a point in our existence as a species that our decisions should be made in the best interest of the human species.  We need to find a way to agree on a meaningful modern human council that would form the body of the higher power to proceed in the natural interest of our species.

Our species has been on this Abrahamic monotheistic sidetrack for about the last 4,000 years or something like a very small percentage of our existence.  It won’t take that long to get off the sidetrack, (still many generations)  to get off of it.  About all we can do in the present is work on a proposal of the culture and laws of the modern human species.

The culture of tribalism has served our species well getting us to where we are, we have to work on upgrading our culture.

Posted: 20 May 2017 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

I use higher-power above with absolutely no reference to any typical use e.g. (supernatural imaginary omniscient God.)

Posted: 20 May 2017 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
AMH - 20 May 2017 09:26 AM

I use higher-power above with absolutely no reference to any typical use e.g. (supernatural imaginary omniscient God.)

It is a very natural product of our imagination, probably going back hundreds of thousands of years.

And I, just like a theist, I put on Ives’ The Unanswered Question, settle in my rocking chair, and look up in the clear sky and feel “empathy” with the greater whole. The empathy experienced by a mathematically oriented mind, contemplating the universe, is no different than a spiritually oriented mind contemplating God.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 22 May 2017 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

Write4U, I think I understand your post. Thanks. Essentially, we just don’t have a grasp on the written, agreed to, history of the future.

Posted: 22 May 2017 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
AMH - 22 May 2017 12:45 PM

Write4U, I think I understand your post. Thanks. Essentially, we just don’t have a grasp on the written, agreed to, history of the future.

I am happy that you understood the thrust of my posit.

And I agree with your second observation about “the written history of the future” (that’s actually very poetic).

And it is true, the future is already written (in the abstract). In scientific terms it’s called *Determinism*., which IMO is a mathematical function.

Determinism is the philosophical position that for every event there exist conditions that could cause no other event. “There are many determinisms, depending on what pre-conditions are considered to be determinative of an event or action.”[1] Deterministic theories throughout the history of philosophy have sprung from diverse and sometimes overlapping motives and considerations. Some forms of determinism can be empirically tested with ideas from physics and the philosophy of physics. The opposite of determinism is some kind of indeterminism (otherwise called nondeterminism). Determinism is often contrasted with free will.

Signature 

W4U

3 of 3