Dark Mountain
Posted: 19 April 2017 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3524
Joined  2009-10-21

I tend to agree with the maxim, “don’t write manifestos”, so I ignored this one for over a year. But I know a couple of the contributors to the project, so it kept coming up. I finally sat down with no interruptions and read it. If you skim it, you’ll see woo, you’ll see liberal tropes, but as a whole it has substance and is almost apolitical. The project has been around for a few years now, and there has been change in the global narrative, about climate change, about corporatism, but there’s no real measurement for the impact of art and poetry, so who’s to say.

What I liked about it was that it’s a different tack, an approach at the underlying myth, rather than trying to rearrange the deck chairs as the Titanic goes down. I see it a lot in Minnesota, where we have Al Franken, Amy Klobuchar and Rick Nolan, some of the most progressive congress people there are, but if they make one statement against someone’s favorite issue, they might as well be Mitch McConnell. Meanwhile, they buy organic and have dinners to talk politics but do actually nothing.

Here’s a little excerpt:

The myth of progress is to us what the myth of god-given warrior prowess was to the Romans, or the myth of eternal salvation was to the conquistadors: without it, our efforts cannot be sustained. Onto the root stock of Western Christianity, the Enlightenment at its most optimistic grafted a vision of an Earthly paradise, towards which human effort guided by calculative reason could take us. Following this guidance, each generation will live a better life than the life of those that went before it. History becomes an escalator, and the only way is up. On the top floor is human perfection. It is important that this should remain just out of reach in order to sustain the sensation of motion.

Most significantly of all, there is an underlying darkness at the root of everything we have built. Outside the cities, beyond the blurring edges of our civilisation, at the mercy of the machine but not under its control, lies something that neither Marx nor Conrad, Caesar nor Hume, Thatcher nor Lenin ever really understood. Something that Western civilisation — which has set the terms for global civilisation—was never capable of understanding, because to understand it would be to undermine, fatally, the myth of that civilisation. Something upon which that thin crust of lava is balanced; which feeds the machine and all the people who run it, and which they have all trained themselves not to see.

The Dark Mountain Manifesto

Posted: 20 April 2017 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1438
Joined  2012-04-25

Ya that’s a little silly. All Of Humanities delusion of difference from Nature. Who all? Not me. Not most liberals I’ve talked to. Only nature hating religionists maybe, but please don’t lump those of the human race who have helped it progress in with the earth haters.

Posted: 20 April 2017 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
CuthbertJ - 20 April 2017 10:03 AM

Ya that’s a little silly. All Of Humanities delusion of difference from Nature. Who all? Not me. Not most liberals I’ve talked to. Only nature hating religionists maybe, but please don’t lump those of the human race who have helped it progress in with the earth haters.

If I look at just about anything modern, I don’t see humans integrated with nature. We build buildings with materials and in locations as if earthquakes don’t happen and rivers don’t flood and sea levels don’t change. Very few people appreciate what goes into food production. People fly and drive and use computers to go to and organize protests against mining and pollution. I don’t know what you call “progress”, but a world where most people can’t find the North Star is not progress to me.

Posted: 20 April 2017 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2016-10-10

A lot of good stuff there, but it’s doubtful many people will relate to it. Anti-civilization groups like this tend to be too weird to attract the mainstream.

Posted: 20 April 2017 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

Which is why we will keep burning fossil fuel until we die

Posted: 20 April 2017 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-10-10
Lausten - 20 April 2017 08:07 PM

Which is why we will keep burning fossil fuel until we die

In the worst-case-scenario, most will die, the few survivors will learn to live without civilization the hard way.

Have a little hope.

Posted: 20 April 2017 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  6494
Joined  2007-10-05

Very little hope. Geez, Beltane, you sure know how to cheer a guy up.  wink

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 21 April 2017 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

Last I checked, the death rate of humans is still 100%. It’s a question of population and do most us live to a be 75-95 and have a peaceful ending.

Posted: 21 April 2017 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
Lausten - 20 April 2017 10:34 AM

If I look at just about anything modern, I don’t see humans integrated with nature. We build buildings with materials and in locations as if earthquakes don’t happen and rivers don’t flood and sea levels don’t change. Very few people appreciate what goes into food production. People fly and drive and use computers to go to and organize protests against mining and pollution. I don’t know what you call “progress”, but a world where most people can’t find the North Star is not progress to me.

Oh there definitely is a certain arrogance about what humans can do TO nature. But I think that’s slowly changing. And even if the things of progress came from arrogance, that doesn’t mean it wasn’t progress. I for one would not like to go back to pre-toilet paper days just to be at one with nature and her leaves.

Posted: 21 April 2017 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-10-10
CuthbertJ - 21 April 2017 09:56 AM

I for one would not like to go back to pre-toilet paper days just to be at one with nature and her leaves.

Agree. Fortunately, nature provides us with bidets in the form of rivers. tongue wink

Posted: 22 April 2017 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Beltane - 21 April 2017 07:51 PM

I for one would not like to go back to pre-toilet paper days just to be at one with nature and her leaves.

Agree. Fortunately, nature provides us with bidets in the form of rivers. tongue wink

I think the point is, “going back to nature” is not a choice. We never left nature for one. We just used nature in a way that is unsustainable. We built a culture that pretends like we can conquer nature or subdue it or ignore it or whatever verb you want to use. Whatever way you look at it, we don’t have a long term view of what humans are in relation to nature.

Posted: 26 April 2017 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
Lausten - 22 April 2017 07:09 AM
Beltane - 21 April 2017 07:51 PM

I think the point is, “going back to nature” is not a choice. We never left nature for one. We just used nature in a way that is unsustainable. We built a culture that pretends like we can conquer nature or subdue it or ignore it or whatever verb you want to use. Whatever way you look at it, we don’t have a long term view of what humans are in relation to nature.

Well I think there are competing views. Western religionists tend to have the We Hold Dominion over earth. Eastern religionists and Native Americans, as far as I know, have a more We Are Part and Parcel of Nature. Of course even the latter get hung up in western style capitalism which is still mingled with Dominion over earth, even if it’s not religious in nature. I’m still hopeful that because of the internet and increased communications things will shift away from Dominion to Stewardship. There are even some capitalists that are realizing they can still make a buck and be stewards.