Please start enforcing all the rules
Posted: 04 May 2017 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

One of the reasons I was planning on leaving these forums recently is because of the high noise to signal ratio. When I joined we had a small but energetic community of people who shared the humanist values CFI promotes. Many of the those people have stopped posting for various reasons, and have been replaced by problem posters who repeatedly post New Age nonsense (Jufa), stuff pulled out of their posteriors (Mike Yohe), whiny drivel (Titanomachina), bigotry (Exmachina), or proselytizing (Adonai888). I appreciate the moderators suspending Vyazma’s account, but that should have happened months ago. At the very least a moderator should have stepped in and admonished Vy for repeatedly posting things that are demonstrably wrong then arguing the people who rebut him are redefining terms when that is what he was doing.

I checked the forum guidelines again and found these passages. From the Intro:

The Forum supports the interests of CFI by creating an online community of supporters and interested inquirers into CFI’s areas of concern, which can be generally described as advancing the enlightenment project, fostering an evidence-based, scientific outlook and humanist values.

That makes it quite clear the New Age nonsense is not appropriate here, nor should we allow constantly posting statements such as “you don’t get to define what Ethical theory means” then trying to pass off an imaginary scenario as an ethical theory.

Rule 3:

(g) Threads and posts that are ... not relevant to the mission of CFI and its Forum are not allowed.

That makes it quite clear that the people who serially post New Age manure and Christian Apologetic essays, constantly link to the same Fundamentalist website as if it is a peer reviewed scientific journal, refuse to use the same word definitions the rest of the world uses, keep circling back around to their starting point when their arguments are rebutted, and refuse to analyze their views objectively are problems posters. At the very least the moderators should step in and keep the discussions within the forums guidelines cited above.

There is still hope for these forums, but unless the moderators take an active role the forums will continue their downhill slide into irrelevance.

The forum software is another problem altogether. My first attempt at posting this was discarded as spam. Let’s see if this additional paragraph gets past the filter.

Now the software doesn’t want to let me fix a typo.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 04 May 2017 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15726
Joined  2006-02-14

The mission of CFI is inquiry and discussion. That includes inquiry and discussion into the New Age, Christian Apologetics, etc. Indeed, those are the very heart of CFI’s mission.

We do not kick people off based on the quality of their arguments. Never have, never will.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 May 2017 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

The mission of the Center for Inquiry is to foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.

From the Forum Guidelines:

(h) Threads that consist of repetitive posting of the same comments, information, or links without meaningful development or responsive discussion will be considered a form of spamming or trolling and may be locked or deleted at the Moderators’ discretion.

Jufa, Mike Yohe, Exmachina and others have been guilty of violating that section multiple times. Jufa’s New Age nonsense falls far outside CFI’s mission, I understand your reluctance to ban people just because they are annoying, but it would help tremendously if the moderators would step in occasionally and remind people that the CFI Forums are a place for rational discussion. In Jufa’s case, I believe a warning is in order, followed by a ban if he/she doesn’t start playing by the rules.

People such as the ones I listed above, and a few who are no longer active, are drowning out the intelligent conversations on the CFI Forums. If the moderators don’t something about it these forums will continue degenerating into irrelevance.

P.S. The forum software just rejected my post as spam. This needs to be fixed too. I know we’ve had a few promising newbies leave because of frustrations with the software.

P.P.S. This is getting ridiculous. I deleted the link o the CFI Mission statement and still cannot post. There are no links in the post. If CFI doesn’t care enough about the forums to provide reliable software then they may as well shut them down.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 08 May 2017 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Here is the link to the CFI Mission Statement:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/about

Signature 

Posted: 08 May 2017 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15726
Joined  2006-02-14

Thank you for your concerns, Darron. You are right to note that sometimes discussion can become frustrating. However, just because people disagree with you does not mean they are in violation of rules. Just because they are unwilling to be convinced by your arguments does not mean they are in violation of rules. The Mods and I take threads on a case by case basis and would prefer to be lenient in enforcing rules such as these so as to allow for open discussion as much as possible, rather than allowing the forum to become an echo-chamber. In general if you have a concern about a post there is a button you can click on to report it.

As for the issue with the spam filter, I have discussed this with our tech folks and there is nothing further that can be done, unless and until CFI decides to entirely replace the website software. Mods and I are unpaid volunteers and have no say whatever in whether or when this might happen, but I would not expect it to happen anytime soon. So I will have nothing further to say on this matter.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 May 2017 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I understand, Doug. I was a moderator on photo.net a couple of decades ago and know the fine line between guiding a discussion and squashing dissenting views. I’m more concerned with the proliferation of repetitive posts with no attempt at rational discussion. I appreciate everything you and the other moderators do here. I’m passionate about this site because I have learned a lot about critical thinking and specific subjects, much of it directly from you.

As far a people not agreeing with me I would not take it personally if you or another moderator stepped in and told me when I’m wrong about something. You would have been within the forum rules to ban me for my comment to Vyazma last week, but before that I was walking on thin ice when I said he was using a straw man fallacy.  I may have been wrong about that and I’d rather be corrected than let my mistakes stand uncontested.

We agree about the forum software. If I win the lottery I may donate some money to CFI earmarked for updating the back end.

[ Edited: 11 May 2017 10:50 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature