Robert M. Price
Posted: 10 March 2007 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-05-30

I enjoyed today’s interview with Robert M.  Price entitled "Jesus: The Failed Hypothesis."  But I am confused.  Why would a seminary have on its faculty someone who doubts the existence of Jesus Christ, let alone his divinity?

Here’s a link to the Johnnie Coleman Theological Seminary for those who are interested:

http://www.jctseminary.org

J. D.

Posted: 10 March 2007 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

The dirty little secret of the theologian is that many of them deny all divinity of Jesus.  Oh, sure, they put up a good show on Sunday mornings, but ask them privately if Jesus was the son of God and/or rose from the dead (or any miracle tale from the Bible), and you’ll get a “Probably not.”

Dr. Price is just more open than the rest.

Posted: 10 March 2007 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-03-06

tomb of jesus and family

In the interview, he referred once or twice to the idea of finding bones of a real man who was determined to be Jesus. I wonder if he has anything to say about the tomb found in Israel that James Cameron claims is the tomb of Jesus and his family?

Signature 

It’s all about perspective.

Posted: 11 March 2007 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-03-11

Re: Robert M. Price

I also enjoyed the Price episode, but I should add a correction.  I don’t remember if it was Dr. Price or DJ but some one mentioned “James Hagee in Dallas.”  Actually, it’s John Hagee in San Antonio, and he make people like Fallwell seem like all sweet resaonableness.  I have seen him tell blatent and obvious lies—I mean so obvious that anyone (even the ignorant and the stupid) actually thinking about what he said would know it was crap.  He is a hate monger, and sells lots of books.  He’s in a little trouble with main stream evangelicals because he preaches that Jews don’t need to be saved, because they are the chosen people.

His church is in a very upscale neighborhood and those people are his congregation, for the most part.  It is a mystery to me how so many reasonably well-educated people could fall for his nastiness.

His picture is in my personal dictionary under the definition of THE ENEMY.

Signature 

bam

Posted: 22 March 2007 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh I heard this guy on the Infidel Guy’s show!  I love Richard Price!  I started listening to him on Freethought Media this past Sunday.  I love how he tells it the way it is.

Is his podcast still available on CFI so I can listen to that one too?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 March 2007 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

I believe all previous Point of Inquiry podcasts are still available on the site. Just click HERE and search around for any you want to listen to. Older ones are in the “episode archive” folder on the right.

Have fun!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 March 2007 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Thanks.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 March 2007 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-02-21

In light on the Robert Price I found this ABC Radio National podcast to be very illuminating. Mainly for the fact that some this theologian’s arguments run parallel to Robert Price’s.
Also the idea of a modern fictional gospel is intriguing and would probably upset a few few people, which BTW should do the book no harm if the DaVinci Code was anything to go by.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/counterpoint/stories/2007/1875208.htm#transcript
The interview starts at about 31:00 but some of you may find the previous stuff interesting too.

If you go to the ABC Radio National home page and follow the program links you will find lots of other interesting podcast interviews.

Signature 

Seeking truth is a never ending search for possibilities.
Finding truth is an end to that search.

Posted: 21 April 2007 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I finally got to listen to this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I always get a kick out of what he says when he criticizes things.  He says it in the funniest ways.

He makes some very good points in this interview too, as he always seems to do in his interviews and alike.  I wish I could talk to him personally.  I think it would be the most fascinating discussion and I could learn a lot.  Anyone could actually. Then again, working under him might be fun too.

Has anyone ever listened to him on Freethought Media?

Doubter, what sort of theologian is this guy you mention?  The reason I ask is because I’m VERY pickey as to who I listen to concerning theology and alike.  Is he for real or is he some sort of crazed Religious Reich person who really knows nothing as he tries to pass it off as absolute truth?

Never mind.  Just read part of the transcript and he lost my attention with what he was saying.  First he said it wasn’t historical and turned around and said, although much of it is, then said people wrote the life of Jesus and turned around and said something else.  This was the clincher:

this may well be the case with our Gospel according to Judas, but it is a long standing practice to tell the story of Jesus through the eyes of somebody and thus reflecting the understanding of what God has done for us in and through this man, as seen by that particular person.

Sorry, but there is no divine intervention.  Humans do almost everything on this earth and if they don’t animals or nature does.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 21 April 2007 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“Mriana”]
Doubter, what sort of theologian is this guy you mention?  The reason I ask is because I’m VERY pickey as to who I listen to concerning theology and alike.  Is he for real or is he some sort of crazed Religious Reich person who really knows nothing as he tries to pass it off as absolute truth?

Mriana, try reading it without your filter.

If more people of faith (all faiths) read “their book” in the way this guy reads his then the world would be a far better place.

Ideally these books shouldn’t exist as anything other than ancient fables.
But the fact remains that while majority of people on this planet believe their books are more than that then the best outcome we can hope for is that they see these writings in their proper context.

Although I don’t agree with Francis Moloney’s religious views I reckon we could have good chat about it over a beer or two and remain friends.

Isn’t that all we should ever want from each other?

Signature 

Seeking truth is a never ending search for possibilities.
Finding truth is an end to that search.

Posted: 22 April 2007 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

OK, but I’m not sure I know how to turn off my “filter” anymore.  :(  I’ve rather come accustom to avoiding Fundamentalism and alike that I turn off if anything sounds even romotely close to it.

Signature 

Mriana