Spam messages (merged)
Posted: 09 May 2017 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7727
Joined  2009-02-26

I heard that several people had problems with rejection of edited pages, getting a rejection message, especially when trying to insert a link, during the preview and correction stage.

I found that if I post the acceptable portions, I can then press “edit” button and add what was the original cause for rejection.
In my case, the system allowed me to add a link, which previously caused the rejection.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 10 May 2017 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4178
Joined  2014-06-20
Write4U - 09 May 2017 05:58 PM

I heard that several people had problems with rejection of edited pages, getting a rejection message, especially when trying to insert a link, during the preview and correction stage.

I found that if I post the acceptable portions, I can then press “edit” button and add what was the original cause for rejection.
In my case, the system allowed me to add a link, which previously caused the rejection.

I’ve had corrections rejected even when no link was involved.  If I so much as add a space, fix a misspelled word or add a period or quotation mark, it’s rejected.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 10 May 2017 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
LoisL - 10 May 2017 04:58 PM

I’ve had corrections rejected even when no link was involved.  If I so much as add a space, fix a misspelled word or add a period or quotation mark, it’s rejected.

Lois

Try posting part of your post, if that works ok, then use the edit button to add the rest. I have used that method twice now and it worked both times. Seems that once posted, any edits or additions will make it through.
If that still fails, you can always try to create a second page.

[ Edited: 10 May 2017 06:00 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 10 May 2017 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Write4U - 10 May 2017 05:54 PM

Lois

Try posting part of your post, if that works ok, then use the edit button to add the rest. I have used that method twice now and it worked both times. Seems that once posted, any edits or additions will make it through.
If that still fails, you can always try to create a second page.

Thanks, I’ll try it.

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2017 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I just discovered that a *close quote* behind a picture may trigger the rejection.

In a response, I tried and tried, until I saw the *close quote* sign directly behind a picture.
I removed that sign and behold…success!  I did lose that picture though.

see my post #50 in “What is the difference between vision of the silence & Understanding the nature of reality?”

Under Philosophy.

[ Edited: 11 May 2017 01:02 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 22 May 2017 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Another possibility.

I tried to post a quote from Wiki and it rejected it.  When I removed the reference “From Wiki” it posted the quote just fine.
Perhaps a reference to another website may be triggering the rejection as possible spam. Worth a try.

I love these logical problems. As Livio said; “in mathematics, if you ask the question nicely, you will get an answer”.

[ Edited: 22 May 2017 10:42 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 27 May 2017 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2012-07-13

I’ve had many many posts rejected as spam. I usually spend a few minutes trying to figure out what the problem is then give up. I actually quit coming here for a few months because it drove me crazy.  Since I’m usually at workand don’t have much time to fiddle around, I didn’t spend much energy on the problem. I’ll try the post and edit idea next time.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 08 June 2017 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2017-06-06

Lois

It seems that I have the same issue. Significant changes are not considered spam while correcting a typo is.

Posted: 08 June 2017 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
MAMathDude - 08 June 2017 11:21 AM

Lois

It seems that I have the same issue. Significant changes are not considered spam while correcting a typo is.

There must be a techie somewhere, who can figure out the logic of the problem.?

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 04 July 2017 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2017-06-25

Guys, I love the forum, and ExpessionEngine too, really I do.

But the automated spam filter has got to go.  I just spent 15 minutes editing a post every way possible and it still won’t accept the post because it has a link.  I made the link non-clickable, no workie.

Please, just turn that stupid feature off.  Or turn my account off.  Either will do.

Thanks.

Signature 

Countdown To Zero - Nuclear Weapons Documentary

Posted: 04 July 2017 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15718
Joined  2006-02-14

I know I’ve posted this several times on the forum but for new folks who may not be familiar: the spam blocker is a black-box add on to our software. It is not customizable to any significant degree. I am not in charge of such things anyhow.

I’ve talked with our back end tech folks who work with the website software and they tell me there is nothing more that can be done. Unfortunately we are dealing with very old software here and any decision to upgrade software for the forum would include all software for CFI’s website. That is, it is completely out of our hands.

Thanks for your understanding.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 July 2017 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2017-06-25

Thanks Doug,

Ok, I’ll just deal with it until I can’t any longer.

For what it may be worth, here’s a possible solution.  There must be hosts who specialize in hosting ExpressionEngine software.  I know for instance of hosts who specialize in phpBB.  If you were at such a host they would take care of upgrades, tweaks, security etc, and you’d no longer need back end guys.  The point is to free the staff to focus on content, and the management of annoying whiner blowhards who complain about stuff like um, you know, uh, people like that, whoever they may be.

I did find a solution.  Put the link in my sig.

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2017 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15718
Joined  2006-02-14

Firstly it’s not my site, I’m a volunteer as are all staff who moderate the forum. Secondly the whole operation is run on a shoestring. There are folks with technical knowhow in the organization who have structured it in the most efficient way they can. It’s their baby and changes are entirely out of our hands.

Again, apologies for the drawbacks but that’s how it is.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 July 2017 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2017-06-25

Ok, no problem Doug.  Didn’t mean to aim anything at you.

This is normal.  People set up forums and then lose interest in them.  No big deal.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2017 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

The Spam Nazi has apparently been defeated, though he’s been caught lurking on occasion. Try editing something without an extra sentence at the bottom and see if it goes through. As for links, sometimes they go through and sometimes they don’t. If one doesn’t, take out the http\\ and www. It may not work as a clickable link, but anyone who wishes to access it can copy and paste it into a browser.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2017 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2017-06-25
LoisL - 05 July 2017 07:24 PM

If one doesn’t, take out the http\\ and www. It may not work as a clickable link, but anyone who wishes to access it can copy and paste it into a browser.

Tried this many times, no workie.  But sometimes it posts links no problem. 

Although I would generally give this software high marks (retired forum software developer), the spam filter is just a section of junk code which should either be improved or removed.

There’s probably a single line of code which calls the spam filter routine during post processing.  If true, then all that’s needed is to find and comment out that line.

I suspect the real problem here is that the site owners are no longer interested in their forum, which is not at all unusual. If the forum died entirely they’d probably just shrug and walk away, as is their right.

As I see it, this really isn’t a code problem at heart, but a publishing model problem.  The content standards aren’t high enough to generate conversations that the site owners would be interested in.  Almost all forums of this type suffer from the same challenge, as best I can tell.  Everybody is really Really REALLY stuck on a single “anybody can say anything” publishing model which they assume simply must be applied to every forum on the Internet.

And so all forums are pretty much the same.

And so the content quality is very uneven.

And so site owners tend to lose interest.

And so technical problems don’t get fixed.

The question we should be asking is, how can this (or any) forum be changed so that the site owners would be excited about participating?

Signature