2 of 4
How to handle an existential crisis?
Posted: 17 May 2017 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
Lausten - 17 May 2017 05:26 PM

2 days and we’re back to the usual Tita.

Didn’t take long, did it? I expected this but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Silly me.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 17 May 2017 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  909
Joined  2015-12-29
DarronS - 17 May 2017 08:11 PM

Didn’t take long, did it? I expected this but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Silly me.

Such questions are the usual fare whenever this sort of thing happens. The lack of answers to what runs through my head just makes it hard to ground myself during the crisis.

In response to the earlier post, the answer I have gotten as to the reason for life is that it exists without reason.

Posted: 17 May 2017 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I would think that people hear would understand how to deal with a crisis but I guess it doesn’t seem so.

Posted: 18 May 2017 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3990
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 17 May 2017 09:28 PM

I would think that people hear would understand how to deal with a crisis but I guess it doesn’t seem so.

So, you’re saying it is possible for other people to give you answers to your questions and to help? That’s a change. Normally you say there are no answers and no one has the answers and no one can help you and you’ve tried everything.

Posted: 18 May 2017 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1265
Joined  2016-12-24
Titanomachina - 17 May 2017 05:08 PM

There’s nothing magical about being an accident,

And there’s nothing magical about winning the Jack Pot either, but people sure do feel special and enjoy it when they do.
Why not relax a little and try to enjoy the ride as well as you can?

Posted: 18 May 2017 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Titanomachina - 17 May 2017 09:28 PM

We’ve told you repeatedly. Put on your big boys panties and face life. If you need help then seek counseling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAx6PBz_lZ0

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 18 May 2017 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4178
Joined  2014-06-20

Titan, it sounds to me is if you are suffering from a serious anxiety disorder or Obsessive-Compulsive disorder. OCD reveals itself in many ways and includes various kinds of obsessions, not jist the obvious ones. Fortunately, there are treatments for both disorders through a psychiatrist or psychologist. Anti anxiety drugs may help. You won’t be able treat it yourself. It will only get worse. You have begun to obseess over your obsessions.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 18 May 2017 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
LoisL - 18 May 2017 01:25 PM

Titan, it sounds to me is if you are suffering from a serious anxiety disorder or Obsessive-Compulsive disorder. OCD reveals itself in many ways and includes various kinds of obsessions, not jist the obvious ones. Fortunately, there are treatments for both disorders through a psychiatrist or psychologist. Anti anxiety drugs may help. You won’t be able treat it yourself. It will only get worse. You have begun to obseess over your obsessions.

Lois

It thought it had something to do with the things I have read which made it happen, but maybe you have a point. It’s just that I hear alot of people discounting mental issues as psychiatry just looking for meds to sell or that it’s the questions you are wrestling with and not the condition.

Posted: 19 May 2017 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3990
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 18 May 2017 10:00 PM

Lois

It thought it had something to do with the things I have read which made it happen, but maybe you have a point. It’s just that I hear alot of people discounting mental issues as psychiatry just looking for meds to sell or that it’s the questions you are wrestling with and not the condition.

Unfortunately, psychiatry, like everything else, requires that the patient makes some decisions about whether or not they are doing a good job. But at least the psychiatrist has a license, unlike the things you read on the internet, which are written by who knows who or in the case of Charles Manson, someone who is literally insane.

Posted: 19 May 2017 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1521
Joined  2012-04-25

Looks like one of my posts was deleted without telling me or indicating here that it was removed. Can someone explain please? Do we censor to the point of deletion on this forum?

Posted: 19 May 2017 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15718
Joined  2006-02-14
CuthbertJ - 19 May 2017 09:49 AM

Looks like one of my posts was deleted without telling me or indicating here that it was removed. Can someone explain please? Do we censor to the point of deletion on this forum?

I have not deleted posts on this forum, with the exception of a few spammers. I don’t believe that the spam filter works by deleting posts that already exist.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 May 2017 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 19 May 2017 04:21 AM

Lois

Unfortunately, psychiatry, like everything else, requires that the patient makes some decisions about whether or not they are doing a good job. But at least the psychiatrist has a license, unlike the things you read on the internet, which are written by who knows who or in the case of Charles Manson, someone who is literally insane.

But we are talking about ideas that have been wrestled with. I just find it difficult to reconcile the cosmic meaninglessness that is all around me. I think Camus stated that it was being a meaning seeking creature in a universe void of any and unwilling to surrender any.

Posted: 19 May 2017 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  697
Joined  2010-07-01
Titanomachina - 19 May 2017 12:37 PM
Lausten - 19 May 2017 04:21 AM

Lois

But we are talking about ideas that have been wrestled with. I just find it difficult to reconcile the cosmic meaninglessness that is all around me. I think Camus stated that it was being a meaning seeking creature in a universe void of any and unwilling to surrender any.

Why does there have to be any purposet in life? Does your happiness really rely on there being a meaning? I just don’t get this obsession. If you really do struggle with no resolution, then talk with a therapist.

Also, I don’t think you appreciate the liability factor here. Maybe if you repeatedly assure everyone that you’re not self destructive then you might get better responses.

Posted: 19 May 2017 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I’m not intent on killing myself, I’ve been to that edge many times and never did it. But I am tired of this popping into my head all the time.

The inherent meaninglessness of life, how the world we have built only matters to us, the very things we live and die for are just our own constructs (some would go so far as to call them illusions). The things we assign value to don’t matter to anything but us, I believe some called it an anthrocentric view of reality, that humans occupy some sort of special place. Or how we really just spend a great deal of time solving problems of our own creation and squabbles between each other. I look at the amount of hatred and division and I don’t understand it. I mean everyone is human right? I don’t really understand countries and borders, it just seems like lines on a map to me.

It’s like I’m looking at the world I was a part of through a snow globe, it seems rather alien now and I’m not sure if I can go back. It’s hard to let go of that whole cosmic perspective and return to a view of reality that puts us at the center.

Posted: 19 May 2017 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Titanomachina - 19 May 2017 04:38 PM

It’s hard to let go of that whole cosmic perspective and return to a view of reality that puts us at the center.

There is no view of reality that puts us at the center. The universe has no center.

Signature 

2 of 4