3 of 4
How to handle an existential crisis?
Posted: 19 May 2017 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1019
Joined  2015-12-29
DarronS - 19 May 2017 04:44 PM
Titanomachina - 19 May 2017 04:38 PM

It’s hard to let go of that whole cosmic perspective and return to a view of reality that puts us at the center.

There is no view of reality that puts us at the center. The universe has no center.

Not like a physical center, but rather when we view reality we tend to think of humans and what we do as something special.

Posted: 19 May 2017 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
Titanomachina - 19 May 2017 08:10 PM

It’s hard to let go of that whole cosmic perspective and return to a view of reality that puts us at the center.

There is no view of reality that puts us at the center. The universe has no center.

Not like a physical center, but rather when we view reality we tend to think of humans and what we do as something special.

That isn’t viewing reality, it is a fantasy born of ego and perpetuated by religions.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 20 May 2017 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21
DarronS - 19 May 2017 08:32 PM
Titanomachina - 19 May 2017 08:10 PM

That isn’t viewing reality, it is a fantasy born of ego and perpetuated by religions.

Do not in any way confuse what I say here with sympathy for Titanomachina. Darron has it right, in reality, we are just another species that will go extinct like every other species, we have no special place in the universe. This is the conclusion of all of the knowledge we currently have. We found out the stars do not revolve around us, rather we are just hurtling through space and spinning around with no particular place to go. This did great harm to the control of religion, but we still have not begun to really deal with it. We have gone from thinking the forces that be will work in our favor to finding out we are the cause of our own destruction, but we still have ourselves at the center of the story.

I see people dealing with this in a number of ways. Titanomachina’s version is one of the sadder ones, asking for deliberate ignorance, knowing his old worldview was wrong, but wanting it back. Others have fallen into the well of fake news, believing conspiracy theories, or that we will be either be destroyed or saved by a secret cabal. Even better, aliens. That’s it for now, my new bumper sticker, “Prefer Reality”.

Posted: 20 May 2017 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
ExMachina - 16 May 2017 11:42 PM

This happened to me in my 30’s (46 now). Eventually I came to realize something that made my life worth living.

I beat 500+ million sperm to exist so I have to prove to myself why I deserve to exist.

Why? Who or what is forcing you to prove yourself?

btw I wasn’t the first to reach the egg. I was number 2. Think about the fact that your mother and father, and all your ancestors had to beat these odds, lest you not exist. It’s amazing if you think about all the improbabilities of you not existing, and reflect it to the fact that you are here now. If your father decided for one second to lay a fart before conception, you may have not been born. DON’T LET ALL YOUR IMPROBABILITY GO TO WASTE!

If you can’t appreciate your odds then tell me why it’s all not worth it.

It isn’t. You’ve got a limited time of trying to understand the universe around you. That’s all you get and it’s all anyone gets. Either enjoy it and make the best of it or continue to obsess over the possibility that it may come to an end. If it’s going to end it will end whether you have figured anything out or not. It’s out of your hands. You’re wasting the time you have.  Fsh or cut bait.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 20 May 2017 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  697
Joined  2010-07-01
LoisL - 20 May 2017 11:24 AM

This happened to me in my 30’s (46 now). Eventually I came to realize something that made my life worth living.

I beat 500+ million sperm to exist so I have to prove to myself why I deserve to exist.

btw I wasn’t the first to reach the egg. I was number 2. Think about the fact that your mother and father, and all your ancestors had to beat these odds, lest you not exist. It’s amazing if you think about all the improbabilities of you not existing, and reflect it to the fact that you are here now. If your father decided for one second to lay a fart before conception, you may have not been born. DON’T LET ALL YOUR IMPROBABILITY GO TO WASTE!

It isn’t. You’ve got a limited time of trying to understand the universe around you. That’s all you get and it’s all anyone gets. Either enjoy it and make the best of it or continue to obsess over the possibility that it may come to an end. If it’s going to end it will end whether you have figured anything out or not. It’s out of your hands. You’re wasting the time you have.  Fsh or cut bait.

I said I had to prove it to myself. I never mentioned that anyone is forcing me. I put high regards to being lucky enough to exist. Why does this bother you so much?

Posted: 21 May 2017 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
ExMachina - 20 May 2017 07:13 PM

I said I had to prove it to myself. I never mentioned that anyone is forcing me. I put high regards to being lucky enough to exist. Why does this bother you so much?

Because you keep whining about it. I have no objection yo your holding that opinion if you’d keep it to yourself. If you present it here, expect a negative response.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2017 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
LoisL - 21 May 2017 10:24 AM
ExMachina - 20 May 2017 07:13 PM

Because you keep whining about it. I have no objection yo your holding that opinion if you’d keep it to yourself. If you present it here, expect a negative response.

Lois

Whining about WHAT? smile

You are making absolutely NO SENSE what-so-ever. It’s completely idiotic to tell people to keep their opinions to themselves, on a forum that is strictly based on peoples opinions.

Posted: 21 May 2017 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21

Lois, you seem to be confusing Tita and Ex

Posted: 21 May 2017 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
Lausten - 21 May 2017 10:49 AM

Lois, you seem to be confusing Tita and Ex

LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 21 May 2017 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
ExMachina - 17 May 2017 05:20 PM
Titanomachina - 17 May 2017 05:08 PM

I beat 500+ million sperm to exist so I have to prove to myself why I deserve to exist.  btw I wasn’t the first to reach the egg. I was number 2. Think about the fact that your mother and father, and all your ancestors had to beat these odds, lest you not exist. It’s amazing if you think about all the improbabilities of you not existing, and reflect it to the fact that you are here now. If your father decided for one second to lay a fart before conception, you may have not been born. DON’T LET ALL YOUR IMPROBABILITY GO TO WASTE!

There’s nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn’t be feeling this right now and I wouldn’t be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn’t terribly convincing.

I’ve heard your response before to be honest, but to me it’s more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an “i” that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare.

It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself?

I just don’t see how people can be optimistic. There doesn’t seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn’t seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day.

My death will be forgotten, my achievements won’t last, who am I doing this for? If it’s for someone else then what happens when they go?

This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life?

There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it.  The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living.  Take your pick.

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2017 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
LoisL - 21 May 2017 11:15 AM

I beat 500+ million sperm to exist so I have to prove to myself why I deserve to exist.  btw I wasn’t the first to reach the egg. I was number 2. Think about the fact that your mother and father, and all your ancestors had to beat these odds, lest you not exist. It’s amazing if you think about all the improbabilities of you not existing, and reflect it to the fact that you are here now. If your father decided for one second to lay a fart before conception, you may have not been born. DON’T LET ALL YOUR IMPROBABILITY GO TO WASTE!

There’s nothing magical about being an accident, that is essentially what you are describing. It can also be said that if I had not been born I wouldn’t be feeling this right now and I wouldn’t be struggling like this. Makes me wonder if life really is a gift, the reasoning behind that thought isn’t terribly convincing.

I’ve heard your response before to be honest, but to me it’s more like wishful thinking. Not to mention all my hopes and dreams amount to little more than dust. A creature birthed into existence and seeking meaning in a place where none is, with the illusion that an “i” that I know myself as exists. Not to mention the multitude of painful experiences that could happen at any moment, makes me wonder if the joy is worth it. People who do the unspeakable, and diseases that make your last moments a nightmare.

It almost seems like a cruel game to me. Put a creature into being and watch him squirm. In such a sea of negatives, how do other people do it? Am I kidding myself?

I just don’t see how people can be optimistic. There doesn’t seem to be much proof for it to me, no matter how much I dig for it. Even the tiniest shred doesn’t seem like much. It just makes me question why I stick around, and the list grows shorter each day.

My death will be forgotten, my achievements won’t last, who am I doing this for? If it’s for someone else then what happens when they go?

This question was posted a long time ago, so its not my own, but maybe can give you a little perspective. What is the reason for life?

There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have make the best of it and stop wasting time trying o find an ultimate meaning beyone our life as we find it.  The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living.  Take your pick.

Correction:

There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it.  The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living.  Take your pick.

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2017 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
LoisL - 21 May 2017 11:19 AM

Correction:

There is none. Life is an accident. The fact that you or I exist is the result of countless accidents. Life is as we find it. We have to make the best of it and stop wasting time trying to find an ultimate meaning beyond our life as we find it.  The alternative is a life of misery and despair, a life not worth living.  Take your pick.

Considering that accident means an undesirable result really makes you sound bitter about living at all. I see it as incidences that have lead to our existence. How you decide to view life is up to you, but me personally, I’d choose to see the positives aspects of what life has to offer.

Posted: 21 May 2017 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
ExMachina - 21 May 2017 12:19 PM

Correction:

Considering that accident means an undesirable result really makes you sound bitter about living at all. I see it as incidences that have lead to our existence. How you decide to view life is up to you, but me personally, I’d choose to see the positives aspects of what life has to offer.

It’s actually honest, those who choose to see just the positives seem to be deluding themselves in some manner or another. The fact is that there is a lot of bad things in the world, a good deal of it as a result of our actions.

I’m not asking for deliberate ignorance, god knows there’s no going back to that. Trying to do that is like building a house of cards at the beach. I was fine without god really, not that big a deal. But the realization that the world isn’t the good place I thought it was or being open to the great deal of negatives, that’s harder to deal with. Makes me wonder how people do it every day. So many problems around the world and not enough solutions.

Posted: 22 May 2017 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

Correction:

What positives? You’ve hardly mentioned any.

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2017 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
LoisL - 22 May 2017 02:16 AM

Correction:

What positives? You’ve hardly mentioned any.

I have a question then, why do you continue to live in spite of that knowledge?

3 of 4