2 of 2
Newsuperbug
Posted: 23 May 2017 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2016-10-10
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 23 May 2017 06:46 PM
Beltane - 22 May 2017 10:16 PM

I’m talking about the unknown foreign pathogens that we risk exposing ourselves to with nonstop global travel.

But wait there’s more,

Should Alaskans fear diseases frozen in the permafrost?
By Zoë Sobel, Alaska’s Energy Desk - Unalaska - 
http://www.alaskapublic.org/2016/08/30/should-alaskans-fear-diseases-frozen-in-the-permafrost/

...“This release of these dangerous microorganisms could actually be spread very easily from the north, because we have lots of birds who are migrating all kind of places in the world,” he said. “So this problem could be not just local problem. It could be global problem.”...

Beltane, ain’t it amazing all the different ways global warming is impacting our planet, right now, not to tomorrow.    smirk

Interesting article, give it a read.    cheese

I heard about that a few yrs ago. Could be bad, could be minor threat. We’ll have to see.

Posted: 23 May 2017 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7752
Joined  2009-02-26

I hope they perfect the new synthetic RNA which is able to alter DNA.  If we could build and selectively deliver a dedicated and catastrophic error in cell division of a bacterium, we may eventually be able to combat pandemics.

Anyone familiar with the current state of research in this area?

[ Edited: 23 May 2017 08:02 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 24 May 2017 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4253
Joined  2014-06-20
DarronS - 18 May 2017 09:33 AM

I did a report on superbugs in my Intro to Public Speaking class a few years ago. These strains arose in hospitals in India and have been spreading worldwide. Pretty scary that they’ve reached one of the most populated cities in the U.S. This is another piece of evidence that high intelligence is not necessarily a good long-term survival strategy. We’re finding many ways to destroy ourselves.

I guess you’re safe then, Darron. tongue wink

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 24 May 2017 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
LoisL - 24 May 2017 05:51 AM

I did a report on superbugs in my Intro to Public Speaking class a few years ago. These strains arose in hospitals in India and have been spreading worldwide. Pretty scary that they’ve reached one of the most populated cities in the U.S. This is another piece of evidence that high intelligence is not necessarily a good long-term survival strategy. We’re finding many ways to destroy ourselves.

I guess you’re safe then, Darron. tongue wink

Hey! I’ve been insulted!  big surprise

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 24 May 2017 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
DarronS - 23 May 2017 06:00 PM
LoisL - 23 May 2017 05:38 PM
Beltane - 18 May 2017 11:28 PM

This is another piece of evidence that high intelligence is not necessarily a good long-term survival strategy. We’re finding many ways to destroy ourselves.

This is an excellent point which doesn’t get stressed enough - the stupidity of intelligence.

Thread relevant - we should institute a moratorium on air travel to limit sudden transmission of these bugs.

You do realze that that would cause the collapse of the US economy, don’t you? Besides that,  too many wealthy people would be against it. That would put the kibosh on it before it got started.

U.S. economy? It would collapse the world economy. When I first read Beltane’s post I thought he was joking, but then realized he was serious. He apparently did not put any thought into that idea.

Yes, of course, it would collapse the world economy. I was thinking of the US because the US is one of the few countries that I know of—maybe the only country—where people are likely to make wild pronouncements like instituting a moratorium on air travel,

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2017 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
LoisL - 24 May 2017 07:20 PM

Yes, of course, it would collapse the world economy. I was thinking of the US because the US is one of the few countries that I know of—maybe the only country—where people are likely to make wild pronouncements like instituting a moratorium on air travel,

Good point. Says something about the sad state of our educational system.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 27 May 2017 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
DarronS - 24 May 2017 08:47 PM

BTW,  i was joking about you being safe. I can seldom resist the oppotunity to take a humorous dig.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2017 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
LoisL - 27 May 2017 11:28 PM
DarronS - 24 May 2017 08:47 PM

BTW,  i was joking about you being safe. I can seldom resist the oppotunity to take a humorous dig.

I knew that. Made me chuckle. I expect that sort of behavior from my friends. That’s why we get along.

Signature 

2 of 2