3 of 3
Non-religious but spiritual
Posted: 06 July 2017 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2017-06-24
Tanny - 06 July 2017 07:18 AM
JohnH - 06 July 2017 07:01 AM

Are you suggesting that morality can only be a result of religion?

No, not at all.  Only that any moral system will be designed in the realm of ideas.  That doesn’t make it bad necessarily, but is that spirituality?

Morality wasn’t designed, it evolved. Ideas (memes) can offer ‘designs’ up for natural selection and that can supplement selection of genetic traits for morality but the basis for moral behavior across the animal kingdom is without doubt genetic. Before corruption of the word meme by social media, it had quite a different meaning and gave rise to the academic discipline of memetics - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme.
Don’t be hung up on ‘spiritual’. It was a label I used to help people who need to have labels. Much like colors on a color chart, it has many shades which I attempted to clarify in the OP and other posts which may not have been read.

Posted: 06 July 2017 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2017-06-25
JohnH - 06 July 2017 08:12 AM

Don’t be hung up on ‘spiritual’.

I’m attempting to better understand what you mean by that word, and perhaps help you better understand as well in the process.

Signature 

Countdown To Zero - Nuclear Weapons Documentary

Posted: 06 July 2017 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-06-24
Tanny - 06 July 2017 08:28 AM

I’m attempting to better understand what you mean by that word, and perhaps help you better understand as well in the process.

Maybe I don’t need to understand…

If an experience is “nutritious”, who cares what it’s called or what it means etc?

Apparently, you do?

As for the experience, I suggested you read post 21 of this thread. I noted and corrected an error introduced by the pesky autocorrect on my tablet. In case you can’t backtrack, here it is again..

The processes that brought about this world we live in are awe-inspiring to me and go so far beyond the capabilities of humankind and even what most of humankind can comprehend that such awe becomes “spiritual”. Not because it involves magic or supernatural but simply because it is so far beyond present human capabilities.

What don’t you understand about this?

[ Edited: 06 July 2017 09:52 AM by JohnH ]

Posted: 06 July 2017 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2017-06-25
JohnH - 06 July 2017 09:49 AM

What don’t you understand about this?

Why you are using the word “spiritual”.  But, never mind, proceed as you wish.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2017 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-06-24

Some people seem to understand. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjW5-4IiSc.
Given the chemistry of it all, and the nuclear physics of it all, not only we are in the Universe, the Universe is in us and I don’t know any deeper spiritual feeling than what that brings upon us.” Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Posted: 07 July 2017 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2017-06-25
JohnH - 07 July 2017 10:17 AM

Given the chemistry of it all, and the nuclear physics of it all, not only we are in the Universe, the Universe is in us and I don’t know any deeper spiritual feeling than what that brings upon us.” Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Why is that feeling “spiritual” instead of “awesome”, “incredible”, “inspiring” etc?

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2017 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7844
Joined  2009-02-26

Mimetics,

Etymology

The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα pronounced [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, “imitated thing”, from μιμεῖσθαι mimeisthai, “to imitate”, from μῖμος mimos, “mime”)[13] coined by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976)[3][14] as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catchphrases, fashion, and the technology of building arches.[15] Kenneth Pike coined the related term emic and etic, generalizing the linguistic idea of phoneme, morpheme, grapheme, lexeme and tagmeme (as set out by Leonard Bloomfield), characterizing them as insider view and outside view of behaviour and extending the concept into a tagmemic theory of human behaviour (culminating in Language in Relation to a Unified Theory of the Structure of Human Behaviour, 1954).

IMO the seat of “memes” can be found in the “mirror neuron system”  which allows us to mirror the experience of other people or patterns in nature.

Thus there is no transfer of information in the spiritual sense, but is the result of reflexive chemical reactions by observation of previously experienced environmental behaviors, whether they be human or natural.  The experience itself is called “empathy”.

Perhaps a good example can be found in Astrology, which is based on certain observable patterns in the universe and from which a person’s fundamental characteristics supposedly can be devined if they are born under a specific cosmological pattern.

I was born on the cusp of Aquarius and Capricorn, and indeed I exhibit some characteristics associated with those patterns. But I have two brothers and a sister who exhibit the same characteristics, but were born under completely different signs. So where is the spiritual connection to astrological signs?

The answer of course is that we all grew up in the same family environment and our characteristic behaviors are learned from exposure to our parents behaviors, which have become imprinted in our neuron mirror system and has caused a common empathic response behavior.

Is this a sign that my family is spiritually connected?

[ Edited: 07 July 2017 08:37 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 September 2017 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-09-08

This is great

Posted: 15 September 2017 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7844
Joined  2009-02-26
Marc Kreidler - 14 September 2017 12:10 PM

This is great

Welcome Marc, as administrator. Your first post is encouraging to laymen such as myself and encourages me to delve deeper into the mysteries of the universe and life itself.

[ Edited: 15 September 2017 01:14 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 26 October 2017 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2017-10-26
LoisL - 25 June 2017 11:46 PM

I doubt that anyone can be “spiritual” without the belief that we, as humans, are above all other creatures on earth for some special reason, namely that a higher power created us with a supernatural plan in mind and that that we will never truly die. It’s the perfect example of self-delusion and the thought of being part of such a plan makes us feel all tingly.

I see myself as spiritual, being that spiritual does not necessarily imply that I am higher or better than those who don’t see themselves as such. I see it more as a personal characteristic than anything else. You most likely have a background in science.
That’s a background that I do not have at all and that makes me into a total empty bucket. Atheists on other sites were kind and thoughtful enough to open my eyes to couple of things, but that’s about it. This said. I Radically reject the notion that animals are beneath me or that mankind is above them. In fact I see men as the animals and animals as the beings of light in many instances. depending.
I look forward to learning from and other….

3 of 3