2 of 3
UFO Documentaries
Posted: 15 July 2017 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2017-06-25
webplodder - 15 July 2017 02:41 AM

I can understand why the government doesn’t really want to take such cases seriously in a way. If they were seen to be seriously investigating UFOs a lot of people would probably take that to mean UFOs are real and exist and are a threat.

I hear you, but consider the counter case. 

Scientists poo-poo UFOs for decades, declaring it just a bunch of nothing, typically with a snotty superior condescending tone.  And then a UFO does land on the White House lawn, proving all the UFO wacko nutjobs right. 

What happens to the credibility of science and the government if they are revealed to be completely wrong about the biggest story in human history?  Or, what happens to that credibility if it becomes known the government knew, but lied to us for decades?  Point being, there’s a price tag attached to being either ignorant or dishonest.

It does seem strange to me that there never seems any really convincing photos or videos of these incidents, instead just circumstantial evidence which can be interpreted in more than one way.

That’s a good point of course.  The situation seems to be, a huge pile of credible evidence of something happening, but no proof of any particular explanation. 

It could be some kind of unknown mass psychological phenomena, which seems to be the government party line.  But isn’t that almost as interesting and important as UFOs?  So even if that’s it, where’s the government investigation?

Is this because the really good evidence is always spirited away by whatever agencies are involved. Could be.

Some of the stories in the documentaries above strongly suggest this is the case, but again, no proof of anything.  To me, the strongest evidence the government is up to something is the lack of publicly reported investigations.  That makes no sense to me.  Thousands of citizens reporting unknown aircraft flying over a country, and nobody official is sent out to interview the witnesses.  There’s clearly something wrong with that picture. 

As example, consider the huge resources devoted to uncovering plots by some lone wolf wacko with a bomb in their underwear.  Millions of dollars and hundreds or thousands of FBI agents are tasked to this threat. 

But hyper performance mysterious aircraft being reported thousands of times, often by highly credible witnesses…  Nothing.

Signature 

Countdown To Zero - Nuclear Weapons Documentary

Posted: 15 July 2017 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Joined  2017-06-25
LoisL - 15 July 2017 12:23 AM

It will remain a bunch of silliness to rational people until there is objective evidence that it is not just a bunch of silliness.

Ok, ok, I apologize for kicking your ass Lois.  Besides being an ass myself, here’s why I’m kicking. 

I’ve been using forums for twenty years, and have seen countless “intellectual” communities destroyed by lazy posters whose primary goal in posting is to inflate their ego.  Threads get clogged with piles of little one sentence blurbs that contribute nothing at all to the conversation, except that the poster gets to pose themselves as being somehow superior. 

And then what happens is that those who could and would make it an interesting thread get bored with scrolling through all the junk, and so they vanish.  As the signal to noise ratio declines, more and more interesting posters wander off, until finally the forum is little more than an ego mud wrestling contest.

So, please do challenge anything anybody says.  We all know that this is an important part of critical thinking and we accept that challenging is what happens here.

But please challenge intelligently.  Make it interesting. As example, you might actually watch the videos linked above, select some specific point contained within, and then present a calm, reasoned challenge to that point, using data and evidence where you can.  It doesn’t have to be perfect, just show evidence of making a sincere effort to contribute something worthwhile.

If you should decline this invitation, what will happen is that eventually you’ll have nobody but other little one sentence ego blurbers to chat with, and then even you will become bored.

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2017 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  278
Joined  2017-05-04
Tanny - 15 July 2017 04:06 AM

I can understand why the government doesn’t really want to take such cases seriously in a way. If they were seen to be seriously investigating UFOs a lot of people would probably take that to mean UFOs are real and exist and are a threat.

Scientists poo-poo UFOs for decades, declaring it just a bunch of nothing, typically with a snotty superior condescending tone.  And then a UFO does land on the White House lawn, proving all the UFO wacko nutjobs right. 

What happens to the credibility of science and the government if they are revealed to be completely wrong about the biggest story in human history?  Or, what happens to that credibility if it becomes known the government knew, but lied to us for decades?  Point being, there’s a price tag attached to being either ignorant or dishonest.

It does seem strange to me that there never seems any really convincing photos or videos of these incidents, instead just circumstantial evidence which can be interpreted in more than one way.

That’s a good point of course.  The situation seems to be, a huge pile of credible evidence of something happening, but no proof of any particular explanation. 

It could be some kind of unknown mass psychological phenomena, which seems to be the government party line.  But isn’t that almost as interesting and important as UFOs?  So even if that’s it, where’s the government investigation?

Is this because the really good evidence is always spirited away by whatever agencies are involved. Could be.

Some of the stories in the documentaries above strongly suggest this is the case, but again, no proof of anything.  To me, the strongest evidence the government is up to something is the lack of publicly reported investigations.  That makes no sense to me.  Thousands of citizens reporting unknown aircraft flying over a country, and nobody official is sent out to interview the witnesses.  There’s clearly something wrong with that picture. 

As example, consider the huge resources devoted to uncovering plots by some lone wolf wacko with a bomb in their underwear.  Millions of dollars and hundreds or thousands of FBI agents are tasked to this threat. 

But hyper performance mysterious aircraft being reported thousands of times, often by highly credible witnesses…  Nothing.

What do you think about the theory that some of these high performance UFOs are top secret experimental aircraft?

Posted: 15 July 2017 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4248
Joined  2014-06-20
webplodder - 15 July 2017 07:59 AM
Tanny - 15 July 2017 04:06 AM

What do you think about the theory that some of these high performance UFOs are top secret experimental aircraft?

While it’s an interesting idea, it doesn’t rise to a scientific theory. When you can come up with any objective evidence to support it rather than wishful thinking, it might be worth exploring. Until then, it’s a waste of time. Interesting ideas with no evidence are a dime a dozen.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 16 July 2017 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2017-06-25
LoisL - 15 July 2017 08:17 AM

While it’s an interesting idea, it doesn’t rise to a scientific theory.

Who said anything about scientific theory?  We’re talking about the documentaries linked above.  Please watch them so you can comment intelligently and add something useful to the thread.  Once you’ve watched the documentaries you are not obligated to agree with anything, but at least you would then be on topic, and your challenges would be relevant and informed.

When you can come up with any objective evidence to support it rather than wishful thinking, it might be worth exploring. Until then, it’s a waste of time. Interesting ideas with no evidence are a dime a dozen.

We’re talking about UFO’s and NOT Lois’s self flattering self image as a hard core realistic science worshiping superior laser sharp reasoner person blah, blah, blah etc and other emotional ego inflating poses.  If you wish to talk about Lois and her ego, please start another thread on that topic.  Thank you.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2017 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2017-06-25

Seems a theory reasonable.  Surely there are secret aircraft, and it’s surely possible some have been spotted by civilians.

It seems to me the question boils down to this. 

1) Are _ANY_ of the sightings real UFOs?  All that’s needed is a single valid case to make the UFO believers on the right track.

OR:

2) Are _ALL_ the many thousands of sightings all false, mistakes, frauds etc.  Is every single one of these thousands of cases not a real UFO?  This is what’s required to make the skeptics right.

I don’t claim to know the answer, I’m just trying to do the math. 

My best guess for now is that something unknown is flying around up there.  I’m less willing to jump on the “it must be aliens” bandwagon.  Something unknown does not automatically equal alien life forms from across the galaxy.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2017 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 15 July 2017 04:17 AM

It will remain a bunch of silliness to rational people until there is objective evidence that it is not just a bunch of silliness.

Ok, ok, I apologize for kicking your ass Lois.  Besides being an ass myself, here’s why I’m kicking. 

I’ve been using forums for twenty years, and have seen countless “intellectual” communities destroyed by lazy posters whose primary goal in posting is to inflate their ego.  Threads get clogged with piles of little one sentence blurbs that contribute nothing at all to the conversation, except that the poster gets to pose themselves as being somehow superior. 

And then what happens is that those who could and would make it an interesting thread get bored with scrolling through all the junk, and so they vanish.  As the signal to noise ratio declines, more and more interesting posters wander off, until finally the forum is little more than an ego mud wrestling contest.

So, please do challenge anything anybody says.  We all know that this is an important part of critical thinking and we accept that challenging is what happens here.

But please challenge intelligently.  Make it interesting. As example, you might actually watch the videos linked above, select some specific point contained within, and then present a calm, reasoned challenge to that point, using data and evidence where you can.  It doesn’t have to be perfect, just show evidence of making a sincere effort to contribute something worthwhile.

If you should decline this invitation, what will happen is that eventually you’ll have nobody but other little one sentence ego blurbers to chat with, and then even you will become bored.

Speak for yourself, Tanny. If you’ve been using forums for 20 years you should know that already. If you “kicked my ass” I didn’t notice.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2017 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 16 July 2017 09:03 AM

Who said anything about scientific theory?  We’re talking about the documentaries linked above.  Please watch them so you can comment intelligently and add something useful to the thread.  Once you’ve watched the documentaries you are not obligated to agree with anything, but at least you would then be on topic, and your challenges would be relevant and informed.

When you can come up with any objective evidence to support it rather than wishful thinking, it might be worth exploring. Until then, it’s a waste of time. Interesting ideas with no evidence are a dime a dozen.

We’re talking about UFO’s and NOT Lois’s self flattering self image as a hard core realistic science worshiping superior laser sharp reasoner person blah, blah, blah etc and other emotional ego inflating poses.  If you wish to talk about Lois and her ego, please start another thread on that topic.  Thank you.

Your opinions mean nothing here. I thought I was on your ignore list. If not, please do so now.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2017 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 16 July 2017 09:03 AM

Obviously you were not talking about science. Feel free to talk about unsupported ideas with no evidence. You will always find plenty of people who don’t care about or don’t know about science or critical thinking. They’re a dime a dozen, even on this blog, as you can see.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2017 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2017-06-25
LoisL - 16 July 2017 12:04 PM

Speak for yourself, Tanny. If you’ve been using forums for 20 years you should know that already. If you “kicked my ass” I didn’t notice.

This is exactly what I mean.  You want to slam down on the reply button to do the debunker dance, which is fine.  But you can’t be bothered to do it in an interesting manner, which results in you clogging threads with your boring little one liners which are really about nothing other than Lois.  Could you please start a thread called something like All About Lois And Her Self Image, and clog that thread with whatever you wish?  Thank you!

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2017 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2017-07-06
Tanny - 15 July 2017 03:49 AM

Ah, I see, you win by default.  What a master of reason you must be!

As believable as your imaginary friend

Posted: 19 July 2017 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 16 July 2017 09:13 AM

Seems a theory reasonable.  Surely there are secret aircraft, and it’s surely possible some have been spotted by civilians.

It seems to me the question boils down to this. 

1) Are _ANY_ of the sightings real UFOs?  All that’s needed is a single valid case to make the UFO believers on the right track.

OR:

2) Are _ALL_ the many thousands of sightings all false, mistakes, frauds etc.  Is every single one of these thousands of cases not a real UFO?  This is what’s required to make the skeptics right.

I don’t claim to know the answer, I’m just trying to do the math. 

My best guess for now is that something unknown is flying around up there.  I’m less willing to jump on the “it must be aliens” bandwagon.  Something unknown does not automatically equal alien life forms from across the galaxy.

There are millions if not billions of unknown and unidentified things flying around up there. Why not investigate every one! It should keep you busy for a while.

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2017 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 17 July 2017 08:54 AM
LoisL - 16 July 2017 12:04 PM

This is exactly what I mean.  You want to slam down on the reply button to do the debunker dance, which is fine.  But you can’t be bothered to do it in an interesting manner, which results in you clogging threads with your boring little one liners which are really about nothing other than Lois.  Could you please start a thread called something like All About Lois And Her Self Image, and clog that thread with whatever you wish?  Thank you!

I didn’t want you to be alone with your boring one-liners. If you want to start a thread called All About Tanny abd His Self Image and clog up that thread, be my guest. It would be right up your alley.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2017 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2011-09-13

All you have heard of UFO’s is nonsense.  Those guys only come to Earth 2 or 3 times a year and land in my back yard.  I step out and chat while handing them a cool one as I fire up the grill.  They are polite but tell me they are surprised humanity keeps surviving but they hope we do as long as I keep supply them with beer and burgers.  Any hoo, they said to say hello to everyone.

Posted: 08 August 2017 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  1305
Joined  2005-01-14
Tanny - 14 July 2017 04:56 AM

Something very unusual flew over Phoenix, that much seems clear.  It could have been a secret govt project, but why would they fly a secret project over a major city on a clear night when they knew lots of people would be outside looking up at the comet then passing by?

It seems to me that the same would hold true for aliens.  They would have to be incredibly stupid to fly an enormous spacecraft in plain sight over a populated area.  In fact when you think about it, the only reason that aircraft have lights on them is to make them visible to other aircraft.  The same would hold true for alien spaceships.  Surely they don’t need lights for navigation.  So why would they call attention to themselves?  To me it seems much more reasonable that people on the ground saw something, such as practice flares dropped from aircraft, and misinterpreted what they saw.  Thus the flares which you dismiss so easily make more sense to me than postulating some kind of alien craft.

2 of 3