Why Ancient Wisdom
Posted: 26 June 2017 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2012-04-25

Why is it that people seem to regard just about anything old as being full of wisdom? Would they trust medical advice from three hundred years ago versus the latest from their doctor? No.

Posted: 26 June 2017 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21

Well, some do. Otherwise smart people fall for “eat like your grandma”, or have you ever talked to an anti-vaxxer? I like ancient wisdom because I like to know where things came from, but if we’ve improved on it, I’ll go worry that.

Posted: 26 June 2017 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1702
Joined  2016-12-24
CuthbertJ - 26 June 2017 06:40 PM

Why is it that people seem to regard just about anything old as being full of wisdom?

I think a part of it is that ancient people were more in touch with the rhythms of the natural world
and had more appreciation for the many connections between the ‘nature world’ such as the animal kingdom and wild nature and our own lives.

Lordie knows that archeology constantly reveals their actual intelligence and intuition was pretty damned astounding.
Think origins of tools and metallurgy and cool scat like that.

Posted: 01 July 2017 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  278
Joined  2017-05-04
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 26 June 2017 09:13 PM
CuthbertJ - 26 June 2017 06:40 PM

Why is it that people seem to regard just about anything old as being full of wisdom?

I think a part of it is that ancient people were more in touch with the rhythms of the natural world
and had more appreciation for the many connections between the ‘nature world’ such as the animal kingdom and wild nature and our own lives.

Lordie knows that archeology constantly reveals their actual intelligence and intuition was pretty damned astounding.
Think origins of tools and metallurgy and cool scat like that.

I think there is a lot in this. Perhaps ancient people were more in touch with there true nature and not bedazzled by the technological marvels we experience today. For this reason, I think there does exist a lot of ‘folk wisdom’ in some of these old adages.

Posted: 01 July 2017 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2017-06-25

It might be helpful to distinguish between technical knowledge, and commentary on the human condition.  Technical knowledge has obviously changed dramatically, making the ancients less useful commentators on that subject.  But the fundamental human condition has not changed in thousands of years, so they were as qualified to discuss this as we are.

The fundamental human condition is very important, because that’s what drives what we do with the technical knowledge.

I agree with the comments above regarding the ancient’s relationship with nature.  They were more in touch with the real world than we are on average, because they didn’t have so many symbolic distractions.  They had a strong relationship with nature, whereas we are more likely to have a strong relationship with ideas about nature. 

Another issue is that ancient writing had centuries to mature.  A lot of the junk writing in ancient times has presumably been discarded along the way by succeeding generations, generating a higher signal to noise ratio than is possible in modern times when so much of what we are discussing now was thought and written quite recently.

Signature 

Countdown To Zero - Nuclear Weapons Documentary

Posted: 11 July 2017 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  278
Joined  2017-05-04
Tanny - 01 July 2017 04:50 AM

It might be helpful to distinguish between technical knowledge, and commentary on the human condition.  Technical knowledge has obviously changed dramatically, making the ancients less useful commentators on that subject.  But the fundamental human condition has not changed in thousands of years, so they were as qualified to discuss this as we are.

The fundamental human condition is very important, because that’s what drives what we do with the technical knowledge.

I agree with the comments above regarding the ancient’s relationship with nature.  They were more in touch with the real world than we are on average, because they didn’t have so many symbolic distractions.  They had a strong relationship with nature, whereas we are more likely to have a strong relationship with ideas about nature. 

Another issue is that ancient writing had centuries to mature.  A lot of the junk writing in ancient times has presumably been discarded along the way by succeeding generations, generating a higher signal to noise ratio than is possible in modern times when so much of what we are discussing now was thought and written quite recently.

Yep, we are so embedded in technology nowadays that it isn’t easy to experience the very spiritual relationship our forerunners had with the world. I think there is a danger here of automatically dismissing ancient spiritual states that cannot be scientifically verified, yet may have had a reality of their own that we are not equipped nowadays to appreciate.