How can ‘space’ really be space?
Posted: 01 July 2017 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  278
Joined  2017-05-04

We are told that space is curved by the presence of matter; that much I can grasp, but there must exist some kind of relationship between space and matter for one to affect the other. Space is supposed to be a vacuum yet how can this be when space and matter seem inextricably connected? If there was ‘nothing’ in space then it would seem to logically follow (to me at least) that space could not be curved by matter.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.  grin

Posted: 01 July 2017 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2017-06-25

Here’s a great 2 hour documentary which you would probably find interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Nothing-Amazing-Science-Empty/dp/B01MY6PO1C

“Everything and Nothing undertakes an epic journey to uncover the true size of everything and the amazing science behind empty space. Part science, part philosophy and part history, this film combines all these elements into a gripping and spectacular narrative that are truly unforgettable. ”

Signature 

Countdown To Zero - Nuclear Weapons Documentary

Posted: 01 July 2017 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2017-05-04
Tanny - 01 July 2017 02:50 AM

“Everything and Nothing undertakes an epic journey to uncover the true size of everything and the amazing science behind empty space. Part science, part philosophy and part history, this film combines all these elements into a gripping and spectacular narrative that are truly unforgettable. “

Thanks, Tanny, I will take a look at that when time permits.  grin

Posted: 07 August 2017 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-08-06

I have an idea: space-time is like a three dimensional net, pulled tight around the universe,very much like the picture you normally see of an object(usually a planet) and how it curves the grid of space.  In this 3 dimensional net, smaller object would more freely move around and have less effect, hence less gravity and less curve.  Larger objects would have the net constricted tighter, thus more gravity and more curve.
  I imagine this like a cast net for catching bait that has been thrown into the water completely spread out, then pulled tight around the universe, hugging and contouring the objects in this universe. Once pulled as tight as possible, maybe at the big bang, the slack is let out and it very slowly expands.  So maybe there is a membrane like substance we call space…  And since it is a net, it very well could have holes and empty spaces in it…
  Well at least in my daydream.

Signature 

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

Posted: 09 August 2017 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2017-05-04
WaylonCash - 07 August 2017 03:59 PM

I have an idea: space-time is like a three dimensional net, pulled tight around the universe,very much like the picture you normally see of an object(usually a planet) and how it curves the grid of space.  In this 3 dimensional net, smaller object would more freely move around and have less effect, hence less gravity and less curve.  Larger objects would have the net constricted tighter, thus more gravity and more curve.
  I imagine this like a cast net for catching bait that has been thrown into the water completely spread out, then pulled tight around the universe, hugging and contouring the objects in this universe. Once pulled as tight as possible, maybe at the big bang, the slack is let out and it very slowly expands.  So maybe there is a membrane like substance we call space…  And since it is a net, it very well could have holes and empty spaces in it…
  Well at least in my daydream.

Interesting theory WaylonCash but you have to get some evidence to convince the doubters.  wink

Posted: 09 August 2017 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-08-06

These are very difficult concepts to support, but it is fun to think about.  The concept is easy the come up with, but it will take some serious thought to dream up an experiment to prove such a thing.  I can easily think of multiple logical reasons why this theory is obviously wrong, like it disounts the empty spaces between an object in freefall and the larger object it is pulled towards.
  But this isn’t so much a theory as a thought experiment to step away from conventional thinking and give yourself another perspective.

Signature 

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

Posted: 09 August 2017 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2017-05-04
Tanny - 01 July 2017 02:50 AM

“Everything and Nothing undertakes an epic journey to uncover the true size of everything and the amazing science behind empty space. Part science, part philosophy and part history, this film combines all these elements into a gripping and spectacular narrative that are truly unforgettable. “

Excellent video that made me think a lot. I love listening to Jim Al-Khalili because he puts things over in a way even I can understand.

Interesting that it turns out we all came from nothing!  wink

[ Edited: 09 August 2017 07:00 AM by webplodder ]

Posted: 09 August 2017 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2017-05-04
WaylonCash - 09 August 2017 04:40 AM

These are very difficult concepts to support, but it is fun to think about.  The concept is easy the come up with, but it will take some serious thought to dream up an experiment to prove such a thing.  I can easily think of multiple logical reasons why this theory is obviously wrong, like it disounts the empty spaces between an object in freefall and the larger object it is pulled towards.
  But this isn’t so much a theory as a thought experiment to step away from conventional thinking and give yourself another perspective.

Well, where would we be without thought experiments? All science has started out as questions, and we need people who can think outside-the-box to push our knowledge to new heights.