Topic lists hide topics from ignored members
Posted: 07 July 2017 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2017-06-24

It is useful to avoid posts by some members but sometimes those members create new topics that generate considerable interest. At present the Topic List doesn’t list topics posted by ignored members. It might be helpful to display all topic titles in the Topic Lists.

Posted: 15 July 2017 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-06-24

It would also be good to have an automated feature to add hyperlinks. I’m too lazy to remember how to code the HTML.

Posted: 16 July 2017 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2017-06-25

My understanding is that this forum software is shared in an “as is” condition, and that the forum owners have basically lost interest in both the forum and the forum software.  If true, there’s probably no point in making suggestions of any kind.

Signature 

Countdown To Zero - Nuclear Weapons Documentary

Posted: 16 July 2017 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 16 July 2017 09:15 AM

My understanding is that this forum software is shared in an “as is” condition, and that the forum owners have basically lost interest in both the forum and the forum software.  If true, there’s probably no point in making suggestions of any kind.

I don’t think forum owners have lost interest. They simply have no control over the forim software which was the choice of CFI movers and shakers some time ago. They are apparently stuck with an old decision and changing the software now would cost CFI untold amounts of time and money. We can manage to work with an imperfect system. It’s a little like keeping a bad marriage together for the sake of the kids.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 17 July 2017 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2017-06-25

I don’t think forum owners have lost interest.

Ok, that could be for sure. Hope you’re right.  So where are they?

They simply have no control over the forim software which was the choice of CFI movers and shakers some time ago. They are apparently stuck with an old decision and changing the software now would cost CFI untold amounts of time and money.

Well, none of this is true, but ok, whatever you say.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2017 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15740
Joined  2006-02-14
Tanny - 17 July 2017 08:52 AM

I don’t think forum owners have lost interest.

Ok, that could be for sure. Hope you’re right.  So where are they?

Volunteers are here every day.

Tanny - 17 July 2017 08:52 AM

They simply have no control over the forim software which was the choice of CFI movers and shakers some time ago. They are apparently stuck with an old decision and changing the software now would cost CFI untold amounts of time and money.

Well, none of this is true, but ok, whatever you say.

It is true as I understand it, yes. The whole CFI website is built around one software suite, and at this point changing the entire suite would be very expensive and time consuming. That isn’t to say it won’t be done someday. Indeed it certainly will be done someday. But its doing will not be driven by what is going on on the Forum.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 July 2017 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2017-06-25
dougsmith - 17 July 2017 12:50 PM

That’s not what I mean, and I think you know that already.  What’s so hard about saying that the site owners aren’t interested in their own forum, if that is true?  I take it to be true, because if a site owner was here you would have pointed to them rather than try to distract me with “volunteers”.

I’m not trying to bash the site owners.  I’m trying to make the point that when site owners lose interest in their own site, it’s probably time for some kind of change.  I don’t think the problem is the software, but the “almost anybody can join and say almost anything” publishing model. 

It’s not just this forum, it’s bigger than that.  All the “intellectual” type forums seem to be suffering from the same problem, very low content standards.  And so the site owners, who are often intelligent people, get bored with their own forum and wander off.

Signature 

Posted: 18 July 2017 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 18 July 2017 03:30 PM

That’s not what I mean, and I think you know that already.  What’s so hard about saying that the site owners aren’t interested in their own forum, if that is true?  I take it to be true, because if a site owner was here you would have pointed to them rather than try to distract me with “volunteers”.

I’m not trying to bash the site owners.  I’m trying to make the point that when site owners lose interest in their own site, it’s probably time for some kind of change.  I don’t think the problem is the software, but the “almost anybody can join and say almost anything” publishing model. 

It’s not just this forum, it’s bigger than that.  All the “intellectual” type forums seem to be suffering from the same problem, very low content standards.  And so the site owners, who are often intelligent people, get bored with their own forum and wander off.

Yet you continue to participate.

Signature 

Posted: 18 July 2017 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-06-24
LoisL - 18 July 2017 04:55 PM

Yet another incisive response demonstrating the intellectual depth of the forum.

Tanny
Total Posts:  166
Joined 2017-06-25

Posted: 18 July 2017 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

The site iwners are the leaders of CFI. They are not necessarily interested in the forum—thay have a lot on their plate. I susoect the forum was created for people who wanted a humanist forum and there were people who were willing to run it who are interested in it. The owners of a forum often have little to do with it beyond being its sponsors.

Signature 

Posted: 18 July 2017 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
JohnH - 18 July 2017 06:47 PM

Yet another incisive response demonstrating the intellectual depth of the forum.

Speak for yourself, John.

Tanny
Joined 2017-06-25

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2017 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2017-06-25

Here’s my long quoted text so I can type something of no value to anyone.

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2017 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2017-06-25

Tanny
Joined 2017-06-25

Yet another empty nothing one liner post which adds nothing of interest to the conversation. 

Thank you for illustrating my point.  This is what happens to forums when the forum owners wander off.  The quality of the content inevitably makes it way down towards the lowest common denominator, often in the form of an endless series of lazy little one line posts that are about nothing but the latest ego burp from the poster.

And just as the forum owners get bored and wander off, so do most of the interesting posters.  One by one by one the posters worth reading vanish until all that’s left is an endless one liner quip war.

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2017 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 19 July 2017 05:33 AM

Tanny
Joined 2017-06-25

Yet another empty nothing one liner post which adds nothing of interest to the conversation. 

Thank you for illustrating my point.  This is what happens to forums when the forum owners wander off.  The quality of the content inevitably makes it way down towards the lowest common denominator, often in the form of an endless series of lazy little one line posts that are about nothing but the latest ego burp from the poster.

And just as the forum owners get bored and wander off, so do most of the interesting posters.  One by one by one the posters worth reading vanish until all that’s left is an endless one liner quip war.

“If you’re looking for sympathy, you’ll find it in the dictionary between sh—and syphilis.” David Sedaris

Signature