2 of 9
The little things in life.
Posted: 27 July 2017 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1702
Joined  2016-12-24

Oh dear, such judgmentalism.

Who knows who’s stupid.  None of us are in a position to be The Judge on that.  Besides, what does it matter???
Maybe you should take the long way home and consider the possibilities   blank stare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKGOCOAI_2c&list=PLMxW7O6yL-jAmJtqVKe3TVP02-2RvQ27f
kiss

I thought about your ‘argument’ today and it occurred to me, you are advocating for locking one self up into a personal dungeon because iife sucks and we die.

I can agree with you life sucks, sometimes worse than others, then again sometimes it’s pure ecstasy, other times it’s just plain enjoyable and okay, then we die.
Whatever.
In any event, I’ll be damned if I want to go out of my way to build my own prison.

I myself since listening to Eric Burdon always thought the biggest challenge in life was escaping our predetermined prisons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3mgapAcVdU
Why not strive for a day in the sun?  Why satisfy yourself with a dank hell-hole?  It’s beautiful out here.

Posted: 28 July 2017 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14
Titanomachina - 26 July 2017 09:45 AM

You guys are little more than gears in the clock of existence.

Don’t knock gears.  The clock wouldn’t run at all without them.  smile

Posted: 28 July 2017 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21

I came across an analogy using DeCartes evil demon. It applies to so many people I know, my friend who believes in astrology and is constantly telling us how “new energy” is coming, my friend who used to a State House Rep and now believes every government conspiracy there is, the guy who writes in the local paper about how vaccines are killing us, and of course Titanomachina.

Here’s the long explanation.

Simply, by accepting that we don’t think for ourselves, we create an imaginary force that controls us.

And please don’t make this about free will. If we can’t “think for ourselves”, then the universe is controlling everything we do, fine, but it’s not doing it as an independently thinking agent. It has no concern for our happiness. We on the other hand can “think” and perceive differences based on that action. If the evil demon is trying to be so tricky that it’s tricking me into thinking I can control my own happiness, then he’s just a stupid evil demon and it doesn’t matter. I hope that’s the last word on that.

Posted: 29 July 2017 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1019
Joined  2015-12-29
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 27 July 2017 09:37 PM

Oh dear, such judgmentalism.

Who knows who’s stupid.  None of us are in a position to be The Judge on that.  Besides, what does it matter???
Maybe you should take the long way home and consider the possibilities   blank stare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKGOCOAI_2c&list=PLMxW7O6yL-jAmJtqVKe3TVP02-2RvQ27f
kiss

I thought about your ‘argument’ today and it occurred to me, you are advocating for locking one self up into a personal dungeon because iife sucks and we die.

I can agree with you life sucks, sometimes worse than others, then again sometimes it’s pure ecstasy, other times it’s just plain enjoyable and okay, then we die.
Whatever.
In any event, I’ll be damned if I want to go out of my way to build my own prison.

I myself since listening to Eric Burdon always thought the biggest challenge in life was escaping our predetermined prisons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3mgapAcVdU
Why not strive for a day in the sun?  Why satisfy yourself with a dank hell-hole?  It’s beautiful out here.

To see beauty is to be blind.

And there is no escaping from our predetermined prisons. Only the fool believes himself to be free.

It can be comfortably said that the good does not outweigh the bad, I mean humans had to invent a good deal of imaginary friends to make existence bearable. Seems doubtful that one would choose to be born.

Posted: 29 July 2017 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

What did you think of my blog? Instead of saying we create illusions of freedom, I said we create our prisons. If we could create either, dont we have choices?

[ Edited: 01 August 2017 08:26 AM by Lausten ]

Posted: 01 August 2017 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2016-12-24
Lausten - 29 July 2017 05:08 PM

What did you think of my blog? Instead of saying we create illusions of freedom, I said we create our prisons.
If we could create either, dont we have choices?

Perhaps he didn’t find the link

You’re own evil demon
July 28, 2017

I came across this rather interesting use of a very old thought experiment. Descartes was trying to figure out if he existed independently, or if something was controlling him,
like an evil demon. He eventually concluded his ability to think proved his independence. The use of this is something I see people doing to themselves or trying to do to others.
They try to make people into their own “Cartesian demons”.

You can do it to yourself by thinking you are a failure, then believing it. You can let others do it by allowing them to tell you that you are in some way flawed.
You can let them convince you that they are smarter, or that all humans are incapable of understanding some fundamental truth or that none of us know the real way things work.
Of course they have the answer, and if you believe them, you give yourself up to them to get it. Or, you just give up to the idea. Either way you’ve let an imaginary “demon” take control.

The good news, no special powers are required to escape this demon. Just think for yourself. If it’s a claim about science,
then find all the research you can and learn how a scientific consensus if formed. If it’s government, get involved.
The US just had two polar opposites in the presidency. I’m guessing no one is controlling this.
‘If it’s just that we can’t know everything and we’re just animals, then how do you know that?
You would need to know everything to know that we can’t know it.

There is nothing to do but learn more.
You don’t know what your limits are.

http://winter60.blogspot.com/2017/07/youre-own-evil-demon.html

Makes sense to me.

Posted: 01 August 2017 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

What did you think of my blog? Instead of saying we create illusions of freedom, I said we create our prisons. If we could create either, dont we have choices?

Prison by choice isn’t prison.

Posted: 01 August 2017 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 01 August 2017 07:48 PM

Then what is it?

Posted: 08 August 2017 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

Have you ever heard the expression, “nobody said life was fair”?  But when you think about it, isn’t that all they tell you every minute of every day from the moment you’re born?  Every fairy tale, story, book, movie, television show—“Life is tough, but if you work hard and keep faith, in the end things will work out.  You’ll get the girl.  You may not get the princess you were in love with at the beginning of the movie, but that’s only because by the end you’ll find out that she’s really an empty-headed twit, and the one you really love is the plucky scullery maid who stood by you through thick and thin.”

Then you grow up and find out you’re not even the star of the movie!  You’re just one of the extras walking past in the background, and even the scullery maid isn’t going to glance in your direction except by accident!  What do you do then?  You learn to deal with it, that’s what.

Posted: 08 August 2017 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

At about age 23 I was told in the end they will dump me in a hole and throw dirt in my face. Some of the best advice I’ve ever got. Not something you want to tell a 13 year old, but delivered correctly, along with tools for finding happiness and making a difference, it is what is, star or not.

Posted: 15 August 2017 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 08 August 2017 10:43 AM

At about age 23 I was told in the end they will dump me in a hole and throw dirt in my face. Some of the best advice I’ve ever got. Not something you want to tell a 13 year old, but delivered correctly, along with tools for finding happiness and making a difference, it is what is, star or not.

Except you don’t find happiness, and nothing you do makes a difference.

Posted: 16 August 2017 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

Be come into this world naked, travel from the place or our birth to the place of our death, then we die alone and naked.

So what.  It’s the journey that matters.

Posted: 17 August 2017 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
Titanomachina - 01 August 2017 07:48 PM

It’s not a choice if it’s all you’re offered.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 17 August 2017 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
Advocatus - 08 August 2017 06:58 AM

Have you ever heard the expression, “nobody said life was fair”?  But when you think about it, isn’t that all they tell you every minute of every day from the moment you’re born?  Every fairy tale, story, book, movie, television show—“Life is tough, but if you work hard and keep faith, in the end things will work out.  You’ll get the girl.  You may not get the princess you were in love with at the beginning of the movie, but that’s only because by the end you’ll find out that she’s really an empty-headed twit, and the one you really love is the plucky scullery maid who stood by you through thick and thin.”

Then you grow up and find out you’re not even the star of the movie!  You’re just one of the extras walking past in the background, and even the scullery maid isn’t going to glance in your direction except by accident!  What do you do then?  You learn to deal with it, that’s what.

If life were fair we’d all be in a heap of trouble. A large percentage of the world’s population doesn’t get enough to eat, has no decent medical care, no bathroom facilities, no decent transportation, and lacks jobs that offer even subsistence. Think twice before you want life to be “fair”.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 18 August 2017 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2005-01-14
LoisL - 17 August 2017 02:29 AM

If life were fair we’d all be in a heap of trouble. A large percentage of the world’s population doesn’t get enough to eat, has no decent medical care, no bathroom facilities, no decent transportation, and lacks jobs that offer even subsistence. Think twice before you want life to be “fair”.

But if life were fair, it would be fair for everybody, wouldn’t it?

2 of 9