3 of 8
The little things in life.
Posted: 18 August 2017 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4074
Joined  2009-10-21
Advocatus - 18 August 2017 09:18 AM
LoisL - 17 August 2017 02:29 AM

If life were fair we’d all be in a heap of trouble. A large percentage of the world’s population doesn’t get enough to eat, has no decent medical care, no bathroom facilities, no decent transportation, and lacks jobs that offer even subsistence. Think twice before you want life to be “fair”.

But if life were fair, it would be fair for everybody, wouldn’t it?

I think she is saying if life were fair, it would suck for everybody. I think it can be more fair and not suck that much, but I’m an idealist. But if we took the world we have today, divided up the wealth, we’d all have some pretty simple lives, many of us would increase their risk of getting diseases, many would reduce their life span. If the rule was we had to maintain fairness, we would be completely overwhelmed about how to slightly increase our comfort, because we would have to increase it times 7 billion, to be fair. We couldn’t divide up knowledge overnight, so all the people with educations would have to spend their time passing on their knowledge. Progress would be slow or backwards, for decades.

Posted: 19 August 2017 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2014-06-20

If life were fair we’d all be in a heap of trouble. A large percentage of the world’s population doesn’t get enough to eat, has no decent medical care, no bathroom facilities, no decent transportation, and lacks jobs that offer even subsistence. Think twice before you want life to be “fair”.

That’s my point. If life were fair those of us who have decent lives would have to give them up to give to those who have less. What do you think would happen of all the food worth eating were distributed equally to all the world’s population? How about medical care? Sanitary facilities? Decent housing? Education?

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 23 August 2017 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  7756
Joined  2009-02-26

My most recent “moment of true happiness” came when I recovered my “stereo mix” on my computer (which somehow had been deleted by an update)
Now I can broadcast music again and make other people happy when they like my music. As an old musician, there was nothing more gratifying than be able to bring people into a better state of mind, as expressed by their applause of approval.

Music is a true international natural language. We all seem to share an affinity to certain soundwaves when placed in a correct emotional code.

One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ksM27dVfs
or this wonderful inspiring video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zfgFfC5kOs

and one of my all time favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcAkEl6AV5Y

[ Edited: 23 August 2017 04:52 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 23 August 2017 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Lausten - 01 August 2017 08:25 PM
Titanomachina - 01 August 2017 07:48 PM
Lausten - 29 July 2017 05:08 PM

What did you think of my blog? Instead of saying we create illusions of freedom, I said we create our prisons. If we could create either, dont we have choices?

Prison by choice isn’t prison.

Then what is it?

Self-flagellation. Christians have engaged in that for millennia.

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2017 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

The point is there are limited resources and if they were fairly distributed to all people, the ones who have more now would have to give a lot of them up. “Fair” doesn’t mean resources will be magically increased. It’s a matter of distribution.

[ Edited: 23 August 2017 08:03 PM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2017 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Lausten - 18 August 2017 09:59 AM

I think she is saying if life were fair, it would suck for everybody. I think it can be more fair and not suck that much, but I’m an idealist. But if we took the world we have today, divided up the wealth, we’d all have some pretty simple lives, many of us would increase their risk of getting diseases, many would reduce their life span. If the rule was we had to maintain fairness, we would be completely overwhelmed about how to slightly increase our comfort, because we would have to increase it times 7 billion, to be fair. We couldn’t divide up knowledge overnight, so all the people with educations would have to spend their time passing on their knowledge. Progress would be slow or backwards, for decades.

But it would be “fair.” If the world’s resources are to remain unevenly distributed, how would you feel if it was you and your loved ones who are on the bottom of the distribution chain instead of pretty near the top?

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2017 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

But it would be “fair.” If the world’s resources are to remain unevenly distributed, how would you feel if it was you and your loved ones who are on the bottom of the distribution chain instead of pretty near the top?
Lois

I tend to agree,  a Nation’s resources belong to all the all its citizens.  But except for air, all resources are privately held and sold to the citizenry for a profit.
Seems to me that those profits should be shared by the citizenry, the people who actually are owners of the Nation’s resources.
This is the result of “fences”.  To the Native Americans the concept of fences and property ownership was alien, until they were forced into fenced Reservations.

But the possession of material wealth is just a small part of “being happy” as Buddha (a royal prince) demonstrated during his lifetime.

This little Ted Talk may be pertinent to the discussion.
https://www.ted.com/talks/david_whyte_a_lyrical_bridge_between_past_present_and_future?

[ Edited: 23 August 2017 09:58 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 24 August 2017 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Write4U - 23 August 2017 09:45 PM

Lois

I tend to agree,  a Nation’s resources belong to all the all its citizens.  But except for air, all resources are privately held and sold to the citizenry for a profit.
Seems to me that those profits should be shared by the citizenry, the people who actually are owners of the Nation’s resources.
This is the result of “fences”.  To the Native Americans the concept of fences and property ownership was alien, until they were forced into fenced Reservations.

But the possession of material wealth is just a small part of “being happy” as Buddha (a royal prince) demonstrated during his lifetime.

This little Ted Talk may be pertinent to the discussion.
https://www.ted.com/talks/david_whyte_a_lyrical_bridge_between_past_present_and_future?

The possession of material wealth may be a small part of “being happy, unless you don’t have enough to eat or clean water or sanitary facilities or decent clothing and shelter or a way to support yourself and your family. . Those basic things are essential to “being happy” as far as I can see, emoty Buddhist platitudes to the contrary.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2017 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  963
Joined  2015-12-29
Write4U - 23 August 2017 04:20 PM

My most recent “moment of true happiness” came when I recovered my “stereo mix” on my computer (which somehow had been deleted by an update)
Now I can broadcast music again and make other people happy when they like my music. As an old musician, there was nothing more gratifying than be able to bring people into a better state of mind, as expressed by their applause of approval.

Music is a true international natural language. We all seem to share an affinity to certain soundwaves when placed in a correct emotional code.

Not true at all, like any language music divides people based on their tastes and you get others who ridicule and belittle you for what you like to listen to. It’s not an international language, there is no such thing. Playing what some like can also entail causing others to hate you because they seriously don’t enjoy it. I would think a musician would know that.

Posted: 31 August 2017 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

Any time you post Titano, the only thing I really get from it is, oh, he’s still alive, good.

I’m on Matt Dillahunty’s Patreon project, where I pay a buck for each thing he posts, which are usually 20 minute lectures/talks on philosophy of whatever. Anyway, last night I listened one about Bible children’s books. Mostly he made fun of it, but then he pointed out how even the teachers, even in the secular world, contribute to how kids ridicule and self-ridicule, you are either into the wrong music, or too into any music, or you think you can sing better than you do, or sing well and that’s weird and you’ll never make it a career and you should do something else, or you can’t do anything else well so you might as well try that, or sports are more important than music and you aren’t coordinated either, and on and on.

This is schoolyard crap. Religion has taken it and packaged it and made it into creeds and has special hats and handshakes to show that you are in the good group and everyone else is not, some even say you will burn in hell for ever if you get it wrong. It’s time we all grew up.

Posted: 31 August 2017 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

Speaking of little things. If a 640 page book counts as “little”, I just finished the best book I’ve ever read. But then I’m not an avid reader. Although more than a book or two a year is WAY above average in this country.

It’s The Brothers K, by David James Duncan. It explores many of the questions of life by following a middle class family with growing kids during the 1960’s in Oregon. The father could have been a pro baseball player but never quite makes it, and all the kids have similar life lessons as they almost succeed or find success through failure or think they made it but get the rug pulled out and all that stuff that happens to everybody.

I’d really be interested to hear how a younger person reacts it.

Posted: 31 August 2017 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Titanomachina - 31 August 2017 09:37 AM
Write4U - 23 August 2017 04:20 PM

Not true at all, like any language music divides people based on their tastes and you get others who ridicule and belittle you for what you like to listen to. It’s not an international language, there is no such thing. Playing what some like can also entail causing others to hate you because they seriously don’t enjoy it. I would think a musician would know that.

Oh, yes, good musicians know that and take care when composing. As with any art form good and bad music divides people by their tastes and affinity to certain variations. Some like to close their eyes and listen, while others want to see the spectacle of a Rock concert, complete with fireworks and smashing instruments in fits of rage.

But all living things respond to sound waves, either positively or negatively.  When the sounds are harmonious and executed with skill and understanding, it leads to an emotional experience, which can be shared by peoples all over the world.
Why is it that in Japan classical music is a big favorite? Western classical is completely different from far Eastern music forms, yet, many great classical musicians come from Japan and even China. (see my signature line below)

An experiment proved this. Two cloned plants were placed in separate but identical environments. In one environment they played a constant stream of Heavy Metal music, and in the other room a constant stream of Classical music.

The plant in the HM room failed to thrive and grew away from the speakers as far as possible, whereas in the Classical room, the plants thrived and grew toward the speakers and some even placed their leaves against the speakers, a clear demonstration that in nature, some harmonies seem to be conducive to the organism’s relationship to their environment.

The word harmonious has a much deeper implication than just in the arts. You may want to look up the various definitions of the word harmony to understand the concept of harmony.

Noun 1. harmony - compatibility in opinion and action

harmony - compatibility in opinion and action ≡ harmoniousness

↔compatibility - capability of existing or performing in harmonious or congenial combination

↔congruence, congruity, congruousness - the quality of agreeing; being suitable and appropriate

2. harmony - the structure of music with respect to the composition and progression of chords harmony - the structure of music with respect to the composition and progression of chords ≡ musical harmony

↔music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner

↔harmonisation, harmonization - a piece of harmonized music

↔four-part harmony - harmony in which each chord has four notes that create four melodic lines

↔preparation - (music) a note that produces a dissonant chord is first heard in a consonant chord; “the resolution of one dissonance is often the preparation for another dissonance”

↔resolution - (music) a dissonant chord is followed by a consonant chord

3. harmony - a harmonious state of things in general and of their properties (as of colors and sounds); congruity of parts with one another and with the whole ≡ concordance, concord

↔order - established customary state (especially of society); “order ruled in the streets”; “law and order”

↔peace - harmonious relations; freedom from disputes; “the roommates lived in peace together”

↔comity - a state or atmosphere of harmony or mutual civility and respect

↔accord, agreement - harmony of people’s opinions or actions or characters; “the two parties were in agreement”

4. harmony - agreement of opinions ≡ concordance, concord

↔agreement - the verbal act of agreeing

5. harmony - an agreeable sound property
↔sound property - an attribute of sound

↔harmoniousness, consonance - the property of sounding harmonious

dissonance - disagreeable sounds

The word “chord” itself has application in science and mathematics.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 01 September 2017 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

Testing sounds on plants is hardly indicative of how things work among humans. Music is just something else that people enjoy but for some reason become incredibly divisive over to the point where you can face social isolation based on what you listen to. Is the sort of “schoolyard crap” that is just part of being human, and I doubt it will be something that humans will outgrow in the long run. Religion is just a massive example of that. I could even argue that the plant experiment proves nothing, in the same manner that the experiment with water and music proved nothing.

There really isn’t such a thing as good or bad music, that’s just an illusion we create to further our in-group superiority.

You are also incorrect in that all living things respond to sound waves. And any emotions are based less on the composition and execution and more on the history and culture of the individual.

Art isn’t a creation of the noblest kind, it’s just another tool to exile others socially. If all of it is deemed as good and valid then the world loses its meaning and value, yet when you make a distinction between good and bad you exile others. It’s just another failure of humanity.

Music is hardly an international language, for no such thing exists. That won’t change no matter how many idealistic platitudes artists spout.

Posted: 01 September 2017 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 31 August 2017 02:12 PM

Speaking of little things. If a 640 page book counts as “little”, I just finished the best book I’ve ever read. But then I’m not an avid reader. Although more than a book or two a year is WAY above average in this country.

It’s The Brothers K, by David James Duncan. It explores many of the questions of life by following a middle class family with growing kids during the 1960’s in Oregon. The father could have been a pro baseball player but never quite makes it, and all the kids have similar life lessons as they almost succeed or find success through failure or think they made it but get the rug pulled out and all that stuff that happens to everybody.

A middle class family is hardly an indicator of the questions surrounding life. It’s simply a clouded view of the actual picture.

Posted: 01 September 2017 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 01 September 2017 08:02 AM
Lausten - 31 August 2017 02:12 PM

A middle class family is hardly an indicator of the questions surrounding life. It’s simply a clouded view of the actual picture.

It’s fiction child. Some things need a story to fully illuminate. Not everything has a simple answer.

3 of 8