There is an historically accurate description of the Bible
Posted: 09 August 2017 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4074
Joined  2009-10-21

I’ve been developing this theme since I was Christian. It’s changed quite a bit since then, but the underlying principles remain. There is some true and correct and explanation of where the Bible came from. The theist or atheist should be equally invested in knowing what that is, and should be able to agree on methods to discover that truth. Faith and conspiracy theories are add on’s. How culture reacted to it also has historical facts about it. It’s a separate set of facts from where it came from though.

Click here for the long explanation

Posted: 09 August 2017 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2017-07-06
Lausten - 09 August 2017 01:36 PM

I’ve been developing this theme since I was Christian. It’s changed quite a bit since then, but the underlying principles remain. There is some true and correct and explanation of where the Bible came from. The theist or atheist should be equally invested in knowing what that is, and should be able to agree on methods to discover that truth. Faith and conspiracy theories are add on’s. How culture reacted to it also has historical facts about it. It’s a separate set of facts from where it came from though.

we dont know where it came from we dont know who wrote it but we know it was spread through empire

Posted: 09 August 2017 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

We know quite a bit actually. It’s not necessary to identify the individuals. Years, regions, tell you a lot.

Posted: 09 August 2017 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2017-07-06
Lausten - 09 August 2017 07:55 PM

We know quite a bit actually. It’s not necessary to identify the individuals. Years, regions, tell you a lot.

Not the authors not it’s origin

Posted: 10 August 2017 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Adamski - 09 August 2017 11:50 PM

Why is that important? Why do you think we need to know the names and histories of the authors?

For example, here’s what we know about Deuteronomy

Traditionally seen as the words of Moses delivered before the conquest of Canaan, a broad consensus of modern scholars see its origin in traditions from Israel (the northern kingdom) brought south to the Kingdom of Judah in the wake of the Assyrian conquest of Aram (8th century BC) and then adapted to a program of nationalist reform in the time of Josiah (late 7th century BC), with the final form of the modern book emerging in the milieu of the return from the Babylonian captivity during the late 6th century BC.[3] Many scholars see the book as reflecting the economic needs and social status of the Levite caste, who are believed to have provided its authors.[4]

Posted: 10 August 2017 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1466
Joined  2016-12-24
Lausten - 09 August 2017 01:36 PM

For you Lausten I took the time to read through that.  Interesting, if I were more interested I’d say fascinating.
But then I’m always a little amazed that people see so much in the Bible.  Every time (in my adult life) I’ve given it a change and open it to read some,
I get so turned off by the stories and messaging, sometimes disgusted even, that it’s become totally irrelevant to me, though I know most people seems to think it’s some master piece - so it’ll never be totally irrelevant, not even for me.  I’m stuck with the world I was born into.

As for Biblical origins, seems to me, how can there not be a Gilgamesh connection. (not that that answers your question or anything)

http://faithlessfeminist.com/the-bible/the-bible-and-gilgamesh/

Although Egyptian inspiration has a lot to said for itself too

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=214x218149

Written in 1280 BC, the Egyptian “Book of the Dead” describes a God, Horus, son of Goddess Isis.

Egyptian mythology predates the birth of Christianity by 1500 years.

Horus..

-Born Dec 25th.

-Born to a virgin mother(Isis), a virgin birth.

-Birth marked by a bright star in the sky.

-Birth announced by angels. Jesus’ birth was announced by angels.

-born in a cave. Caves were used as stables. Laid in a manger.

-birth event witnessed by 3 wise men bearing gifts whom traveled from afar.

-during infancy, Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Herod tried to have Jesus murdered during infancy.

-Earthly father named Seb. The name/word Seb translates into Jo-seph.

-Both Horus and Jesus were baptized at age 30.

- Horus was baptized in a river by Anup the Baptizer. The name/word Anup translates into John.. as in John the Baptist. Anup was beheaded shortly thereafter, like John the Baptist.

-at age 12 he was led to a temple for his “coming of age” ritual. At age 12 Jesus was led to a temple for the same. Now called the bar mitzvah.

-no data on his life between ages 12-30. No data on Jesus between ages 12-30.

-Both Horus and Jesus disappeared for 18 years from age 12-30.

-Horus wandered into the desert alone at age 30 and was tempted. Jesus wandered into the desert alone at age 30 and was tempted.

-Horus had 12 disciples. 2 named Anup and Aan. Both names translate into John.. the 2 Johns from the 12 disciples of Jesus.

-Horus walked on water.

-Horus healed the sick, the blind, cast out demons, performed miracles.

-Horus raised Asar/El-Azarus from the dead. El-Azarus translates into Lazarus.

-His personal epithet was “Iusa” the “ever-becoming son” of “Ptah,” the “Father.” He was called the “Holy Child.”

-Horus was called “The Messiah”

-Horus’ many Titles: Way, the Truth the Light; God’s Anointed Son; Son of Man; Good Shepherd; Lamb of God; Word made flesh; Word of Truth.

-was a fisherman and associated with “Ichthys”. Similar to Jesus.

-was called the “KRST” or the “Anointed One”. KRST may be the root of the word “Christ”.

-after age 30 Horus delivered a “Sermon on the Mount” and his followers recounted the “Sayings of Iusa.”

-after the sermon, Horus was captured.

-Horus was crucified on a cross or tree between two thieves.

-after 3 days, 2 women announced Horus, the Saviour of humanity had been resurrected. Brought back from the dead to reign for 1000 years. The exact same destiny of Jesus.

Mithra- Persian god 600 BC

Mithra..

-born Dec 25th

-born to a virgin birth.

-Performed miracles

-crucified and resurrected 3 days later.

-known as the Lamb, The Way, The Truth, The Light, The Savior, The Messiah.

Krishna- India 1000 BC

-was a carpenter

-born of a virgin birth

-baptized in a river

Dyonisis, Greek mythological god.

Dyonisis..

-Born to a virgin mother, a virgin birth.

-turned water to wine, performed miracles.

-crucified and resurrected 3 days later.

-was called the Saviour of mankind.

-believed his followers should partake in a feast of his flesh and blood. The root of communion.

-his followers believed they could feel his presence inside them.

The strictest tenets of Christianity, the tenets used to proselytize the non-believer into becoming a Christian appear to be completely copied from various mythologies that predate Jesus by 1500 years.

The story of the miraculous life of Jesus is used to proselytize the non believer. The virgin birth, 3 wise men, the star in the sky, his baptism, his preformance of miracles, casting out demons, healing the sick, raising the dead, his crucifiction between 2 criminals, his resurrection 3 days later…

ALL COPIED FROM EGYPTIAN, GREEK, PERSIAN MYTHOLOGY AND LORE.

For the past 2000 years the Christian church has gone through great, often murderous pains to stifle and hide these facts.

They never prepared for the information age or the internet.

Why don’t our public schools teach our children this information?

It’s high time they start teaching it.

Google “Horus and Isis” “Mithra” “Krishna” “Dyonisis”

Here’s a pretty good resource to get your search started..

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5b.htm

more fun reading on Biblical mythology
https://danielmiessler.com/blog/the-bible-is-fiction-a-collection-of-evidence/#gs.=XE=_GE

I have the feeling most of this sidesteps what you’re really asking here, but it’s not irrelevant background either.    smile

Posted: 10 August 2017 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 10 August 2017 09:57 AM

For you Lausten I took the time to read through that.  Interesting, if I were more interested I’d say fascinating.
But then I’m always a little amazed that people see so much in the Bible.  Every time (in my adult life) I’ve given it a change and open it to read some,
I get so turned off by the stories and messaging, sometimes disgusted even, that it’s become totally irrelevant to me, though I know most people seems to think it’s some master piece - so it’ll never be totally irrelevant, not even for me.  I’m stuck with the world I was born into.

Thanks CC. When I get done with comments on the entire Lectionary I plan to write up a more critical analysis. On Milepost 100, I’m trying to stay neutral. I have a coding system for each entry, and after 80 weeks of readings, I’ve found 3 inspirational passages. There are quite a few more that I call “universal”, but that only means they express a universal value, i.e. something you could find in most civilized cultures. Every religion has that, and they all borrow from each other. Most of the stories I label “theology”, which to me means stories that refer to other symbols and stories within the same culture. I think what most people call inspirational is something like God sending his only son down for sacrifice, what a great guy. But that requires so many assumptions and accepting so many myths, without which, it’s not inspirational at all.

Those theologies are my driest entries. They just report the facts of what the names mean or what passages are being referenced. The interesting ones are when you can forget the theology, forget how it fits some canon that was invented later anyway, and find a warrior’s tale, or a slaves rebellion, or a man’s struggle against his own ego.

As for where it came from, I rarely bother mentioning that. That’s interesting to me, but it’s not what I’m doing with this website.

Posted: 10 August 2017 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2135
Joined  2013-06-01

On the radar of Jesus today is reincarnation. There is talk about early Christians believing in reincarnation. Thus, the bible and the trinity. Doesn’t it seem to you that the bible has left a lot out about heaven? //www.journal.com.ph/editorial/mysteries/hidden-beliefs-covered-by-the-church-resurrection-and-reincarnation-in-early-christianity

Posted: 10 August 2017 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2017-07-06
Lausten - 10 August 2017 04:46 AM
Adamski - 09 August 2017 11:50 PM

Why is that important? Why do you think we need to know the names and histories of the authors?

For example, here’s what we know about Deuteronomy

Traditionally seen as the words of Moses delivered before the conquest of Canaan, a broad consensus of modern scholars see its origin in traditions from Israel (the northern kingdom) brought south to the Kingdom of Judah in the wake of the Assyrian conquest of Aram (8th century BC) and then adapted to a program of nationalist reform in the time of Josiah (late 7th century BC), with the final form of the modern book emerging in the milieu of the return from the Babylonian captivity during the late 6th century BC.[3] Many scholars see the book as reflecting the economic needs and social status of the Levite caste, who are believed to have provided its authors.[4]

Revelation

Posted: 11 August 2017 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Adamski - 10 August 2017 01:55 PM

Revelation

Another well thought out and thorough post from Adamski.