1 of 3
It’s time to arrest control from the ignorant politicians and the unconscionable corporations.
Posted: 13 August 2017 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-08-06

Our society is on the brink of destruction and the majority of society can’t be bothered to pay attention for more than a moment.  Whether legitimately elected or not, our country is under the thumb of an plutomaniac with an ego complex and the self control of an adolescent.  The mere fact that he could be a candidate is an indictment of the system; basically this convoluted, faux democracy is broken beyond repair.  It must be disassembled, analyzed, and rebuilt.

If we can not handle the prospect of completely dismantling the system, then we can at least take the baby steps toward progress.  More accurately concurrent small steps that must be taken.

First and foremost, the repeal or reform of Citizens United, with many stipulations added which I will touch on later.  Second, articles of impeachment need to be set forth immediately; traditionally there are numerous offenses to the people, the constitution, including general moral turpitude.  If any members of Congress try to inhibit this, they should be removed from office aswell.  While I know that is a stretch, at some point we must accept desperate times call for desperate measures.

All future candidates must pass a mental examination aswell as general and specific knowledge exam based on the office they choose.  We cannot allow below average intelligence to navigate the direction of our society any longer.  Basically, a marriage of democracy and meritocracy.

An institution, not a commission, should be built which will be unbiased, non partisan, scientific fact checkers.  At this point, the truth is the hardest thing to discern, we need this.  Like politico, but with fail safes and checks and balances to guarantee honesty and accuracy. 

All debate and campaigning should be done on public broadcasting, without advertising or corporate influence.  These corporate entities will fight and claw to stay in the political arena, we must not tolerate this.  While a candidate may maintain a website and info center; attack/dirty politics should not be tolerated and disqualify a candidate.  The discussion should be that of the serious issues that the people face in their own personal and financial life, not the opinions of others of how everyone should live their life.  Abortion is not an issue, healthcare is an issue. 

The most important change is reforming the educational system.  This can not wait.  We must raise our standards and expectations of students and teachers alike.  Provide resources and training to promote independent thought and creative reason.  To teach actual understanding, instead of surface knowledge.  And finally eradicate standardized testing, to follow suit with the multitude of countries that have found success without it.

I understand that many issues and concerns are left out of this general summary.  Such as the Paris accord, economic concerns, and many other important points.  And I have noticed on this forum, though lots of members, there are a disproportionate amount of replies.  But I hope that some of you can fill in the blank spaces and edit the oversights.  Questions or criticisms welcomed, I just wanted to put the idea out there for discussion.

Signature 

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

Posted: 13 August 2017 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2014-06-20
WaylonCash - 13 August 2017 07:58 AM

Our society is on the brink of destruction and the majority of society can’t be bothered to pay attention for more than a moment.  Whether legitimately elected or not, our country is under the thumb of an plutomaniac with an ego complex and the self control of an adolescent.  The mere fact that he could be a candidate is an indictment of the system; basically this convoluted, faux democracy is broken beyond repair.  It must be disassembled, analyzed, and rebuilt.

If we can not handle the prospect of completely dismantling the system, then we can at least take the baby steps toward progress.  More accurately concurrent small steps that must be taken.

First and foremost, the repeal or reform of Citizens United, with many stipulations added which I will touch on later.  Second, articles of impeachment need to be set forth immediately; traditionally there are numerous offenses to the people, the constitution, including general moral turpitude.  If any members of Congress try to inhibit this, they should be removed from office aswell.  While I know that is a stretch, at some point we must accept desperate times call for desperate measures.

All future candidates must pass a mental examination aswell as general and specific knowledge exam based on the office they choose.  We cannot allow below average intelligence to navigate the direction of our society any longer.  Basically, a marriage of democracy and meritocracy.

An institution, not a commission, should be built which will be unbiased, non partisan, scientific fact checkers.  At this point, the truth is the hardest thing to discern, we need this.  Like politico, but with fail safes and checks and balances to guarantee honesty and accuracy. 

All debate and campaigning should be done on public broadcasting, without advertising or corporate influence.  These corporate entities will fight and claw to stay in the political arena, we must not tolerate this.  While a candidate may maintain a website and info center; attack/dirty politics should not be tolerated and disqualify a candidate.  The discussion should be that of the serious issues that the people face in their own personal and financial life, not the opinions of others of how everyone should live their life.  Abortion is not an issue, healthcare is an issue. 

The most important change is reforming the educational system.  This can not wait.  We must raise our standards and expectations of students and teachers alike.  Provide resources and training to promote independent thought and creative reason.  To teach actual understanding, instead of surface knowledge.  And finally eradicate standardized testing, to follow suit with the multitude of countries that have found success without it.

I understand that many issues and concerns are left out of this general summary.  Such as the Paris accord, economic concerns, and many other important points.  And I have noticed on this forum, though lots of members, there are a disproportionate amount of replies.  But I hope that some of you can fill in the blank spaces and edit the oversights.  Questions or criticisms welcomed, I just wanted to put the idea out there for discussion.

The first thing we have to do is get rid of Trump, his family, his cabinet and his thick-headed followers. Without that we’re sunk.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 13 August 2017 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2016-10-10

Corporations are the main problem. They should be busted up, especially social media and tech ones. Politics would improve a lot just from that.

Re: exams for holding office - impossible in a free society.

Re: an unbiased fact checking institution - impossible because of human nature.

Re: education - this is a big can of worms, but the problem is more social than educational.

Posted: 13 August 2017 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2016-10-10
LoisL - 13 August 2017 01:16 PM

The first thing we have to do is get rid of Trump, his family, his cabinet and his thick-headed followers. Without that we’re sunk.

Lois

Not gonna happen.

Posted: 13 August 2017 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-08-06
Beltane - 13 August 2017 01:39 PM

Corporations are the main problem. They should be busted up, especially social media and tech ones. Politics would improve a lot just from that.

Re: education - this is a big can of worms, but the problem is more social than educational.

I strongly disagree that it is impossible to achieve these things.
1. A doctor, lawyer, safety inspector, engineer, crane operator, plant manager, and nearly every specialty technician must train, study, pass exams and in some cases have on the job training before they can be certified in their chosen field.  Why is it such a stretch to ask those that make critical decisions that affect our lives any less? 
2.an unbiased fact checking institution- this is not an option, this is detrimental to our survival and the only viable option.  The alternative would be intense regulation of the internet, but that would impede free speech.  This could be accomplished with the checks and balances system, if each fact check were blind verified by multiple people it could be done.  There are honest people out there, it may seem hard to believe.
3.what is the social problem affecting the education system?  Classism?  Compulsory education in the first place changed the nation and had a significant role in the massive economic and infrastructure growth in the previous century.  Imagine if we reexamine the entire process and keep what works and exclude what doesn’t. 
  If you feel any of this is impossible, then maybe you’ve already given up.  I look for solutions rather more problems.  Every puzzle can be solved.

Signature 

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

Posted: 14 August 2017 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Beltane - 13 August 2017 01:40 PM

Lois

Not gonna happen.

What makes you think so?

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2017 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2016-10-10
WaylonCash - 13 August 2017 02:30 PM

I strongly disagree that it is impossible to achieve these things.
1. A doctor, lawyer, safety inspector, engineer, crane operator, plant manager, and nearly every specialty technician must train, study, pass exams and in some cases have on the job training before they can be certified in their chosen field.  Why is it such a stretch to ask those that make critical decisions that affect our lives any less?

Politics is different. It’s not a “logical” career where success is measured by checking boxes, it’s more about personality and the ability to influence others. We could develop a sort of civil service exam for candidates maybe, but that wouldn’t help filter out corrupt individuals, and corruption is the main problem - more so than stupidity. As for IQ tests, they would eliminate the truly dumb, but most politicians aren’t dumb to begin with.

The only political candidacy exam left would be one that is ideologically based, and that’s only possible in a totalitarian society.

2.an unbiased fact checking institution- this is not an option, this is detrimental to our survival and the only viable option.  The alternative would be intense regulation of the internet, but that would impede free speech.  This could be accomplished with the checks and balances system, if each fact check were blind verified by multiple people it could be done.  There are honest people out there, it may seem hard to believe.

Not enough honest people for what you’re describing, not to mention a checks and balances system of that sort would be too cumbersome. I think you’re missing the more important point anyway; its not that people are getting the wrong info, its that some people don’t care about facts.

3.what is the social problem affecting the education system?  Classism?  Compulsory education in the first place changed the nation and had a significant role in the massive economic and infrastructure growth in the previous century.  Imagine if we reexamine the entire process and keep what works and exclude what doesn’t.

It seems like the standards for public education have been lowered to accommodate the problems stemming from diversity.

Posted: 14 August 2017 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2016-10-10
LoisL - 14 August 2017 06:20 PM
Beltane - 13 August 2017 01:40 PM

Lois

Not gonna happen.

What makes you think so?

No legal way to do it, and a revolution would be doomed to failure.

Posted: 15 August 2017 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4070
Joined  2009-10-21
WaylonCash - 13 August 2017 02:30 PM

Who is going to manage this certification system? All of the things you list ultimately fall under government control. We need other doctors to determine if a doctors are good enough to doctor, but there’s a system of universities and boards governing all that. And there are people who don’t know the doctor stuff, but they can understand the methods those boards are using and they can tell when there is corruption. When that happens, we use the court system and we fix it. That all takes a lot of time and resources. Elections are a much more direct system for keeping power in check.

We have independent journalism. We have a web project that asks every candidate the exact same questions and publishes their answers without comment. We have endorsements. All of these can be changed without some bureaucracy needed to sign off on it.

Posted: 15 August 2017 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1461
Joined  2016-12-24

I think that’s where an informed and engaged electorate is a prerequisite for a healthy sane democracy.

Our founding fathering never imagined the massive dumbing down of our populace

Posted: 15 August 2017 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

No, Trump and his henchmen are the main problem. Nothing will get better as long as Trump is in office. Only when he’s out can the country begin to heal from the destruction he has wrought, singlehandedly.

Lois

Spam line, spam line, spam line

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2017 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-08-06

As for the “exam”, a civil service exam would at least be a start.  It would at least be a speed bump to slow down unqualified candidates.  But I personally think it could be a comprehensive exam encompassing all the various skills, principles, and knowledge required to satisfactorily represent the nation.

Someone said it would be “too cumbersome” to put forth a checks and balances system on a fact checking institution.  I believe that any thing worth achieving SHOULD BE CUMBERSOME.  We are supposed to be the ones that believe in science.  To maintain the integrity of any scientific findings, the scientific method requires cumbersome work.  Testing and analysis, trying to prove yourself wrong instead of working towards or based on a preconceived notion. 

Where is your imagination?  Everyone has come up with a lot of “you can’t do this” and ” this won’t work, but none of you have given a valid reason why, only preconceptions and assumptions based on a system you have become complacent with.  We can not accept that the current results are the only acceptable ones, we have to test and experiment for ourselves.  Thomas Jefferson didn’t just accept that “This is the way things are”, he stepped outside of conventional thinking to help form something that would do what the current system couldn’t, work for the people.
I fell victim to an assumption my self, I assumed this forum would be full of open minded, free thinkers.

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2017 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

You can’t do this because you can’t put a small group of people in charge of a test that gets you into government. You give them the power of control over where it’s supposed to be, in the hands of the electorate.

Posted: 15 August 2017 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

Can the mods run an anti virus? It seems everyone is getting infected with the idea that if you don’t agree with them, you’re not a frethinker.

Posted: 15 August 2017 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2016-10-10
WaylonCash - 15 August 2017 06:53 PM

As for the “exam”, a civil service exam would at least be a start.  It would at least be a speed bump to slow down unqualified candidates.  But I personally think it could be a comprehensive exam encompassing all the various skills, principles, and knowledge required to satisfactorily represent the nation.

Someone said it would be “too cumbersome” to put forth a checks and balances system on a fact checking institution.  I believe that any thing worth achieving SHOULD BE CUMBERSOME.  We are supposed to be the ones that believe in science.  To maintain the integrity of any scientific findings, the scientific method requires cumbersome work.  Testing and analysis, trying to prove yourself wrong instead of working towards or based on a preconceived notion. 

Where is your imagination?  Everyone has come up with a lot of “you can’t do this” and ” this won’t work, but none of you have given a valid reason why, only preconceptions and assumptions based on a system you have become complacent with.  We can not accept that the current results are the only acceptable ones, we have to test and experiment for ourselves.  Thomas Jefferson didn’t just accept that “This is the way things are”, he stepped outside of conventional thinking to help form something that would do what the current system couldn’t, work for the people.
I fell victim to an assumption my self, I assumed this forum would be full of open minded, free thinkers.

Well since this is the internet, you should expect some people to disagree with you.

Posted: 15 August 2017 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-08-06

If over and over again everyone seems “infected with the idea you are not a free thinker” at some point you might consider it’s not everyone else who is infected, maybe your just a conformist.  “You can’t put a small group of people in charge of a test that gets you into government.”  But you can put a small group of people in charge of everything else?  Anytime a commission is formed to write a law or investigate something, anytime an administration takes office, E.P.A.,  department of energy, the state commissions that approve textbooks for schools, the list goes on and on. 
  This task is meager in comparison and easily attainable.  These concepts aren’t all that revolutionary.  This would not affect the electoral process.  I am not trying to argue, but to discuss.  I apologize for the comment at the beginning, but it’s a criticism that should be considered.

Signature 

1 of 3