Trump Impeachment talk gets a bit more serious.
Posted: 17 August 2017 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1466
Joined  2016-12-24

A glimmer of hope, although then we are still stuck with Pense, and Pruit and Sesson, etc..
Still a glimmer is a glimmer,
although then we’ll still have those totally pissed of NAZIs and rest of the Alt-Right nonsense to deal with.
(nothing will ever ever ever make them changes their minds - their words not mine)

President Trump needs friends in the Senate
Elaine Kamarck - Wednesday, August 9, 2017
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2017/08/09/president-trump-needs-friends-in-the-senate/

At some point in 2019 (if not sooner) a Republican Senator may walk into the Oval Office and say to President Trump: “Mr. President, we don’t have the votes,” at which point the Trump presidency will end in a resignation or a conviction in the Senate. This scenario actually occurred forty-three years ago this summer when Republican Senator Barry Goldwater walked into the Oval Office and told Republican President Richard Nixon that they didn’t have the votes in the Senate to save his presidency. Following impeachment in the House, a trial takes place in the Senate. Conviction requires two-thirds of the Senate and by my count there are already twelve senators who have shown a willingness to take on the president when they believe he is in the wrong. If you add that to the forty-eight Democrats in the Senate (who have shown no inclination to work with this President), Donald Trump could be six votes away from conviction in the Senate.

Of course this assumes that the forces now in motion continue on their same trajectory and result in an impeachment vote. They are: the investigations into the Trump campaign; evidence of weakness in the Republican base; historical trends indicating a possible Democratic takeover in the House and, last but not least, defiance in the Senate.[1] ...

Posted: 18 August 2017 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1541
Joined  2012-04-25
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 17 August 2017 09:20 PM

A glimmer of hope, although then we are still stuck with Pense, and Pruit and Sesson, etc..
Still a glimmer is a glimmer,
although then we’ll still have those totally pissed of NAZIs and rest of the Alt-Right nonsense to deal with.
(nothing will ever ever ever make them changes their minds - their words not mine)

President Trump needs friends in the Senate
Elaine Kamarck - Wednesday, August 9, 2017
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2017/08/09/president-trump-needs-friends-in-the-senate/

At some point in 2019 (if not sooner) a Republican Senator may walk into the Oval Office and say to President Trump: “Mr. President, we don’t have the votes,” at which point the Trump presidency will end in a resignation or a conviction in the Senate. This scenario actually occurred forty-three years ago this summer when Republican Senator Barry Goldwater walked into the Oval Office and told Republican President Richard Nixon that they didn’t have the votes in the Senate to save his presidency. Following impeachment in the House, a trial takes place in the Senate. Conviction requires two-thirds of the Senate and by my count there are already twelve senators who have shown a willingness to take on the president when they believe he is in the wrong. If you add that to the forty-eight Democrats in the Senate (who have shown no inclination to work with this President), Donald Trump could be six votes away from conviction in the Senate.

Of course this assumes that the forces now in motion continue on their same trajectory and result in an impeachment vote. They are: the investigations into the Trump campaign; evidence of weakness in the Republican base; historical trends indicating a possible Democratic takeover in the House and, last but not least, defiance in the Senate.[1] ...

I think Drumpf’s ghost writer Tony Schwartz has it right. Trump’s going to declare victory then resign, blaming everyone except himself. And he knows he has a base upon which to bilk for money, with products, books, etc.

Posted: 19 August 2017 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2014-06-20

The problem is impeachment talk isn’t serious enough. In addtion, impeachment will never happen as long as Congress is majority Republican. They’d rather die than do anything against their shining star.

Lois

[ Edited: 20 August 2017 12:02 AM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 19 August 2017 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-08-06

I think it depends on how far he goes.  Since he is crossing a new line on a weekly basis, he very likely could cross wrong one soon.

Signature 

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

Posted: 20 August 2017 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2014-06-20
WaylonCash - 19 August 2017 03:26 PM

I think it depends on how far he goes.  Since he is crossing a new line on a weekly basis, he very likely could cross wrong one soon.

We can only hope.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 31 August 2017 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1466
Joined  2016-12-24

Okay so this isn’t impeachment talk, but it is laying the foundation for a vigorous prosecution.

Trump-Russia inquiry: what you missed in a week dominated by Harvey
Though headlines focused on Texas, it was another dramatic week for the investigation, with a focus on Paul Manafort and a lesser-known Trump associate
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/31/trump-russia-inquiry-paul-manafort-felix-sater

Pressure on Manafort
The team of prosecutors working under the special counsel Robert Mueller is cooperating with New York’s attorney general, Eric Schneiderman,
to investigate the former Trump campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, and his business dealings, Politico reported.
Mueller is investigating whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia to sway the election in his favor.

Robert Mueller and NY attorney general working on Manafort investigation –
Schneiderman’s presence – as a state attorney general – is potentially significant because the president’s power to issue a pardon applies only to federal crimes,
not state convictions (hypothetical, in this case). ...

Trump sought Moscow tower deal
Early in the presidential campaign, Trump signed a non-binding letter of intent to build a tower in Moscow, his lawyer, Michael Cohen,
confirmed in a statement to ABC News. This despite Trump’s claiming during the campaign that he “knows nothing about Russia”, has “no loans” and “no deals” there.
In the absence of his tax returns, which the president refuses to publish, the truth of Trump’s holdings is unknown.

Cohen said: “The Trump Moscow proposal was simply one of many development opportunities that the Trump Organization considered and ultimately rejected.”
It separately emerged, however, that Cohen had written an email asking for help with the deal to a top Vladimir Putin aide in January 2016,
in a previously undisclosed example of direct contact between the Trump Organization (Cohen was vice-president at the time) and Moscow during the US presidential campaign. ...

Trump associate’s email: ‘I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected’
A former broker for the Trump organization, Felix Sater, who also helped to develop Trump’s SoHo hotel tower in Manhattan, wrote an email to Cohen related to the same Moscow tower deal on 3 November 2015, obtained by the New York Times, that read in part:

Felix Sater: the enigmatic businessman at the heart of the Trump-Russia inquiry

Michael I arranged for Ivanka to sit in Putin’s private chair at his desk and office in the Kremlin. I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected.
We both know no one else knows how to pull this off without stupidity or greed getting in the way. I know how to play it and we will get this done.
Buddy our boy can become President of the USA and we can engineer it. I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this, I will manage this process.

Cohen denies collusion

Grand jury interviews Trump Tower meeting figure

Trump contacts judiciary chairman after news that son will meet committee
Trump called senator Chuck Grassley, the chairman of the judiciary committee, a day after reports that Donald Trump Jr would meet with the committee behind closed doors to talk about Russia. ...

Trump lawyers met Mueller team to deny obstruction of justice
Lawyers for the president have met multiple times with the special counsel and delivered memos defending their client, the Wall Street Journal reported. One memo reportedly argues that Trump did not obstruct justice when he fired FBI director James Comey because he has an inherent power under the constitution to hire and fire at will. A second memo was described by the Journal’s sources as arguing that Comey is not a reliable witness to the special counsel investigation, “calling him prone to exaggeration, unreliable in congressional testimony and the source of leaks to the news media”.

More to come.

Man of the hour Felix Sater
Sater’s promise: 

As Sater predicted in an email to the Guardian:

“[T]here are many additional stories that will be coming out about me in the future, much more timely and important than 20 year old stock cases.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/31/felix-sater-trump-russia-investigation