General feedback and questions
Posted: 23 August 2017 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-08-06

I have read the rules and explored the boards.  I was very surprised at the environment of this forum.  I don’t consider it bad, but definitely pessimistic and a little unfriendly.  I have been a member of another forum for many years; a technology specific forum.  I was able to watch the evolution and eventual progress this forum made.  By strictly enforcing a simple and easy to comprehend set of rules, that forum has become a positive community and invaluable database.  “Fostering an evidence-based, scientific outlook and humanist values.”  I have not seen very much evidence or understanding of the philosophy of science.

Xenforo provides a great forum software that is much more personal and effective for word processing, linking, uploading images ect…  While on a mobile device, in the reply box(both fast and normal), the text runs down into the reply options.  It’s not very orderly. 
  Please don’t take this as an attack, it’s only my personal opinion. 
Thank you for you time.

Signature 

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

Posted: 24 August 2017 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15741
Joined  2006-02-14

Topic specific fora such as ones on technology, hobbies, etc., are significantly easier to corral than a forum such as this that is open to free inquiry on any and all subjects. When this one began it was one of several such secularist/atheist/skeptic fora on the internet, others of which were significantly larger. AFAIK all or nearly all the other larger ones have closed down, I believe usually due to the difficulty of managing them properly.

There is talk within the organization of moving to a different software platform eventually but that is not something that we have any say in. IMO any upgrade is likely to be a benefit although not without quite significant growing pains.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 August 2017 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
WaylonCash - 23 August 2017 06:53 PM

I have read the rules and explored the boards.  I was very surprised at the environment of this forum.  I don’t consider it bad, but definitely pessimistic and a little unfriendly.  I have been a member of another forum for many years; a technology specific forum.  I was able to watch the evolution and eventual progress this forum made.  By strictly enforcing a simple and easy to comprehend set of rules, that forum has become a positive community and invaluable database.  “Fostering an evidence-based, scientific outlook and humanist values.”  I have not seen very much evidence or understanding of the philosophy of science.

Xenforo provides a great forum software that is much more personal and effective for word processing, linking, uploading images ect…  While on a mobile device, in the reply box(both fast and normal), the text runs down into the reply options.  It’s not very orderly. 
  Please don’t take this as an attack, it’s only my personal opinion. 
Thank you for you time.

It’s not that hard to work around the glitches in this program. All in all, it isn’t all that bad.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]