2 of 2
A Despiciable and Presumptuous Article In The Washington Post: Using Harvey As Political Cannon Fodder
Posted: 29 August 2017 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2016-10-10
WaylonCash - 29 August 2017 10:22 AM

What privileges did I have?  I have a felony conviction, it stuck with me for 7 years.  I would like to understand.
  I was very reluctant to share this information, but I did knowing it would change the way I was viewed to make a point.  If you were going to defend me, what was the circumstance that changed it?  Could you give me a link to a resource containing information about juvenile records following you. I did a quick search and found nothing.  Everything I found says the opposite, only one article from Chicago Sun Times mentioned that child molesters, murderers, and violent offenders records may follow them.

Please explain to me what I am missing.  This isn’t about opportunity or privilege, though the discussion is morphing into that.

Juvenile records are permanently on file, sealing them depends on the state. You might be able to request an expungement, but the chances of that happening depend on the nature of the crime.

You say you’re in Texas: https://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/arrests_and_searches/sealing-or-expunging-juvenile-criminal-records-in-texas.htm

BTW, the “privileges” are that you’re white and you automatically have it better than everyone who is not white. This forum seems to be a place where White self-flagellation is appreciated. Not by me, though.

Posted: 29 August 2017 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2016-10-10
WaylonCash - 28 August 2017 08:15 PM
MikeYohe - 28 August 2017 10:39 AM
Beltane - 28 August 2017 12:18 AM

Good find. It’s an absurd article but it is typical of the mainstream media now.

Trump is right about the most of the media.

Trump is not right about most of the media; coincidentally one of his egotistical, self serving conspiracy theories happens to line up with what’s actually going on.  To imply that he is right about this would mean that its all about him.  It isn’t.  I refer you to broken clock analogy…

No, Trump is right about how degraded the media is.

Posted: 29 August 2017 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-08-06

Thank you for the information, Beltane.  After closer inspection I see this is state-by-state, some states keep these records confidential some do not.  Texas does not.  It seems a a lot of states do not.  I have seen a lot my background checks and none have ever had anything on my juvenile record.

Signature 

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

Posted: 29 August 2017 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4074
Joined  2009-10-21

I’m not a lawyer or a private investigator, I’m just using some common sense and what I’ve heard from friends in the system. Since it is much easier now to do a background check, and data is shared across states, it’s much harder to keep anything sealed. I found those same hits you found, and also one about a somewhat complicated process to get records expunged, so it’s not simple.

I think I did say why you are missing the point. And I said I’m not going to write a thesis on white privilege. There are plenty of fine essays out there on it. If you want to keep repeating your story and getting feedback like you’re getting here, go ahead. The reason I was going to take your side is I think this thread is a great example of the “Narcissism of Small Differences.” You are getting hassled for not being liberal enough and I’m giving you crap for being too white. Your defense is to set yourself apart with your story. These are pretty worthless pursuits by all involved and detracting from the review of the article. I don’t really care about the article, so I don’t care if we get back on track. But I always have 2 cents to throw in.

Posted: 29 August 2017 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2017-08-06
Lausten - 29 August 2017 12:41 PM

I’m not a lawyer or a private investigator, I’m just using some common sense and what I’ve heard from friends in the system. Since it is much easier now to do a background check, and data is shared across states, it’s much harder to keep anything sealed. I found those same hits you found, and also one about a somewhat complicated process to get records expunged, so it’s not simple.

I think I did say why you are missing the point. And I said I’m not going to write a thesis on white privilege. There are plenty of fine essays out there on it. If you want to keep repeating your story and getting feedback like you’re getting here, go ahead. The reason I was going to take your side is I think this thread is a great example of the “Narcissism of Small Differences.” You are getting hassled for not being liberal enough and I’m giving you crap for being too white. Your defense is to set yourself apart with your story. These are pretty worthless pursuits by all involved and detracting from the review of the article. I don’t really care about the article, so I don’t care if we get back on track. But I always have 2 cents to throw in.

This was more insightful than most of the comments so far.  I agree with you on all sides, I even think white privilege exists.  I just don’t feel much like I have gotten to experience it personally.  I did sit in court and watch the rich kids from Kingwood get set free, prBonds, and sentenced to community service though.  I really did not want to reveal that information, but I felt like it was my last resort to try to make the connection.  I knew it would not work in my favor.
Thank you for your 2 cents.

Signature 

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman

Posted: 29 August 2017 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  924
Joined  2016-01-24
Lausten - 29 August 2017 12:41 PM

I don’t think he’s liberal at all, that’s my point.

When it comes to race relations in the US is there any doubt at all the black minority has been profoundly discriminated against to the degree that has almost completely denied their humanity at times?

And this has included recent events like hurricane Katrina where thousands of mostly black residents of New Orleans were basically abandoned then the widespread destruction of the city was seen as a great opportunity to gentrify it in a way that would largely eliminate the sub-culture that gave us jazz, such greats as Satchmo and so much more.

This isn’t about one event, blacks in America live under a constant pressure that no other group does and are roundly condemned when they dare protest at all. Just like how it could cost you your life if you were black in the US south and showed even the slightest bit of defiance to white authority.

Black Americans are 3 times more likely to be shot by police - 1/3 of those unarmed - than whites and often live in conditions that are closer to the third world than the first and if the kind of sociopaths who are now openly marching in America because their man is now president have their way they won’t even have that much longer.

The article that is being described as despicable and presumptuous is merely pointing out a very sad and incredible sick legacy that the US has never really come to terms with.

Being liberal is more than just paying lip service to the right things, it’s about actually caring about the principles of equality and freedom that if not asserted and protected will soon disappear even in the US.

The clan at it’s peak in the US had over 4 million members, there’s a reason to be very concerned about what is going on now, it has all the ingredients necessary to turn all the US into a war zone.

Which is almost certainly why a psychopath backed by the Kremlin is encouraging so much violence and hate in the US.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/19539/

The solution isn’t to condemn those who are at least attempting to point out the roots of the problem as this article in the OP was doing. It’s to face hard realities which is what defines the US right now.

Things are bad and they are only going to get worse before they get better because of who is now in office in the US. Having a wrecking ball for a president in a country with the divides the US has is a recipe for disaster. Pretending those divides don’t exist won’t make them go away, and far too many Americans are artists at denying the racial and socio-economic divides across the nation.

2 of 2