Introduction
Posted: 01 September 2017 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2017-09-01

Hello.

My name is Miro Kocur, i am from Bratislava, Slovak Republic.
(should be pronounced “kotsoor”, try at your own risk)

In last few years I found myself in arguing against religious discrimination versus heavy metal bands, festival promoters and other people involved in my country. Due these events I shifted from agnostic towards atheism.

There is a large difference being an atheist in USA and being an atheist in post-communist country. Even when Slovakia has 60% of citizens of catholic belief, there is still stigma of forceful atheism which was sign of conformism with communist regime. Some of self-styled humanists here in Bratislava openly defend ideas of non-democratic systems, or are affiliated with certain hoax-spreading media.
(Well, lets say there are people claiming that they are secular humanists, and atheists, while they dont have problem to spread anti-vax, chemtrails and many other hoaxes.)

I hope i might find out here how is humanism and atheism defined by people on this forum.

Posted: 02 September 2017 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4251
Joined  2014-06-20
Offler - 01 September 2017 02:11 PM

Hello.

My name is Miro Kocur, i am from Bratislava, Slovak Republic.
(should be pronounced “kotsoor”, try at your own risk)

In last few years I found myself in arguing against religious discrimination versus heavy metal bands, festival promoters and other people involved in my country. Due these events I shifted from agnostic towards atheism.

There is a large difference being an atheist in USA and being an atheist in post-communist country. Even when Slovakia has 60% of citizens of catholic belief, there is still stigma of forceful atheism which was sign of conformism with communist regime. Some of self-styled humanists here in Bratislava openly defend ideas of non-democratic systems, or are affiliated with certain hoax-spreading media.
(Well, lets say there are people claiming that they are secular humanists, and atheists, while they dont have problem to spread anti-vax, chemtrails and many other hoaxes.)

I hope i might find out here how is humanism and atheism defined by people on this forum.

The first thing is that atheism is in no way related to agnosticism. Atheism is a position on belief. Agnosticism is a position on knowledge. They are completely unrelated conceots. You can be an atheist and an agnostic at the same time.

Welcome to the forum. You’ll be a good addition.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 02 September 2017 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  502
Joined  2011-09-13

I’m not sure what the connection of religious discrimination, heavy metal, promoters, etc. has to do with each other but in any event, welcome and enjoy.

Posted: 02 September 2017 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2017-09-01
deros - 02 September 2017 02:49 PM

I’m not sure what the connection of religious discrimination, heavy metal, promoters, etc. has to do with each other but in any event, welcome and enjoy.

Short to say… Christian politicians were pressing on police and office of prosecutor to ban metal festival and concert, because it is blasphemous (which is not a crime here). They pointed out that lyrics of the metal songs are real and not a fiction.

Posted: 05 September 2017 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1307
Joined  2005-01-14

That sounds like the sort of thing we went through in America in the 80’s and 90’s.  Good luck with that.

“Offler”?  Does that name come from Terry Pratchet, by any chance?  smile

Posted: 05 September 2017 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2017-09-01
Advocatus - 05 September 2017 06:29 AM

That sounds like the sort of thing we went through in America in the 80’s and 90’s.  Good luck with that.

“Offler”?  Does that name come from Terry Pratchet, by any chance?  smile

Yes, its from Terry Pratchett’s Discworld. I used that nick for few years on different forums many years ago.

I was fan of metal music since 2006. In 2014 there was first such attempt. I realized its in conflict with our laws and constitution. I slowly came to realization that what christian politicians wanted is suppression of free speech, luckily police and other officials were aware of that. That way i became an activist and later i found similar cases in USA (btw Speech of Dee Snyder to Pippa Gore is amazing to watch), and i found people like Pat Robertson. That way I got to James Randi and later to Christopher Hitchens.