8 of 9
Why is death not the “answer”?
Posted: 16 October 2017 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7817
Joined  2009-02-26

Titanomachina,
Not that it’s a trick to avid living but to avoid dealing with the truth and exposing the positives as lies.

Death does in as sense negate life. I mean creating a life worth living seems to make sense if one has to stay alive. But if one doesn’t have to, then there isn’t a need to make a life worth living nor do they have to. They can just die. I mean in the end you won’t remember what you did in your life, none of those experiences live on and you can’t take them with you. There isn’t a difference between dying now and later. Regret does with you also, so there doesn’t seem to be any reason to keep living.

It’s true, when you die, you and your sentience cease to exist completely.

But the point is to make the most of the short time you are alive and sentient.

Watch this,  its informative and may give some insight;
https://www.ted.com/talks/anil_seth_how_your_brain_hallucinates_your_conscious_reality

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 October 2017 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Total Posts:  1014
Joined  2015-12-29

But you don’t understand, you don’t have to make the most of it. Dying now is no different from dying later, the end result is the same. You won’t remember anything so there is no point to going on.

Posted: 16 October 2017 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Titanomachina - 16 October 2017 02:52 PM

But you don’t understand, you don’t have to make the most of it. Dying now is no different from dying later, the end result is the same. You won’t remember anything so there is no point to going on.

Have you ever been near-dead ? I nearly died from congestive heart failure and could not breathe, but my body chemistry told my brain it must have air. There was no choice involved. It was a horrible experience. No logic or reason would have made any difference. My body demanded air which I could not provide, without a hospital oxygen mask. This condition lasted almost 2 weeks and after my normal breathing pattern was restored I looked at life with new respect.

At my age, I am not afraid of death, but I surely like to live as long as possible. I still have access to many things that enrich my experience of life. This forum is one of them.

Apparently to you also, judging by the number of posts.  If none of it had any meaning to you, why bother posting at all?

There is a philosophy that people always make decisions in the “direction of greatest satisfaction”, even if it comes to a choice between “the least of two evils”.  But death brings no satisfaction, except perhaps to a few earth worms that will devour your remains.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 October 2017 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20

So why are you still alive? Presumably you have chosen life. Are you crazy or stupid?

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 16 October 2017 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Total Posts:  4181
Joined  2009-10-21

What do you think we don’t understand? I’ve agreed that you are free to do whatever you want. I’ve also suggested that you consider what you do with that freedom and how your actions will affect others. That dead is dead and you won’t remember aren’t arguments for not living. On the most basic level of facts, you’re being alive is different than your being dead. Whatever you have done while you have been alive so far, has had some sort of impact on the rest of the universe, if only just some exchange gases, but it’s still different. So it’s not “no different”. It might be infinitesimally small in relation to the universe, but you are infinitesimally small in relation to the universe, so you make an infinitesimally small difference on other infinitesimally small things. So?

Posted: 16 October 2017 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

But the difference that you make is so small that one could say it doesn’t matter

Posted: 16 October 2017 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

Maybe that ‘seer” is right and humans are too defective to live on. The links make other points about other things humans like that drive them, even love and sex.

Posted: 17 October 2017 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
LoisL - 16 October 2017 06:31 PM

So why are you still alive? Presumably you have chosen life. Are you crazy or stupid?

Do you actually read and think about what others are saying? I told you, it wasn’t a matter of choice. At that time my living body chemistry ruled my mind.

Can you stop your heart by will? Can you stop your breathing by will? It’s physically impossible, unless you do violence to yourself and what would motivate you to do violence to yourself?  Would you do violence to another, because in the end it doesn’t matter to him or her? I should hope not.

The reason why we are responding to your fatalistic attitude is that there are good people who care, even if you don’t, at this particular time.

[ Edited: 17 October 2017 02:52 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 17 October 2017 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 16 October 2017 09:16 PM

But the difference that you make is so small that one could say it doesn’t matter

You could, but there is no reason to. You could compare yourself to the vastness of space, or you could look around at what is going on right where you are.

Posted: 17 October 2017 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Write4U - 17 October 2017 02:31 AM

Do you actually read and think about what others are saying? I told you, it wasn’t a matter of choice. At that time my living body chemistry ruled my mind.

Can you stop your heart by will? Can you stop your breathing by will? It’s physically impossible, unless you do violence to yourself and what would motivate you to do violence to yourself?  Would you do violence to another, because in the end it doesn’t matter to him or her? I should hope not.

The reason why we are responding to your fatalistic attitude is that there are good people who care, even if you don’t, at this particular time.

I do think about it, but I think my mind has been poisoned by that “seer of forbidden truth”.

Posted: 17 October 2017 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Titanomachina - 17 October 2017 06:05 PM

I do think about it, but I think my mind has been poisoned by that “seer of forbidden truth”.

Who’s that?

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 17 October 2017 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
LoisL - 17 October 2017 06:11 PM

Who’s that?

George Carlin; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ucRM0eYD7U

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 17 October 2017 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
LoisL - 17 October 2017 06:11 PM

Who’s that?

The George Carlin bit doesn’t really help.

As for who, there should be links on page six to what he is. I got caught at a vulnerable point in my life and now I find it hard to reject the things he says.

Posted: 18 October 2017 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 17 October 2017 09:08 PM

As for who, there should be links on page six to what he is. I got caught at a vulnerable point in my life and now I find it hard to reject the things he says.

He doesn’t sound like you at all. Other than the fact that he doesn’t use any logic, just states things, then builds on them as if he got there logically. I don’t think you care about this “seer” at all.

[ Edited: 18 October 2017 08:17 AM by Lausten ]

Posted: 18 October 2017 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I worry about him being right and undoing everything I know to be true about myself and the world as I know it, and that if I don’t listen to him I might miss out on something so vitally important and ground breaking.

[ Edited: 18 October 2017 03:51 PM by Titanomachina ]

8 of 9