9 of 9
Why is death not the “answer”?
Posted: 18 October 2017 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4162
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 18 October 2017 01:30 PM

I worry about him being right and undoing everything I know to be true about myself and the world as I know it, and that if I don’t listen to him I might miss out on something so vitally important and ground breaking.

Right about what? He says he doesn’t care about anyone but himself. You seem to be already doing that. What is it you think you are missing?

Posted: 18 October 2017 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Total Posts:  1002
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 18 October 2017 05:51 PM

I worry about him being right and undoing everything I know to be true about myself and the world as I know it, and that if I don’t listen to him I might miss out on something so vitally important and ground breaking.

Right about what? He says he doesn’t care about anyone but himself. You seem to be already doing that. What is it you think you are missing?

Something of vital importance that no one else knows about and that would give me insight into truth so that I can build something out of it. I’ve valued truth as a means of living life, no matter how harsh or how much I don’t like it. I fear I am committing confirmation bias by ignoring him and ad homeniem by calling him crazy. There are also a few bits about “illusion” and “hive mind”, but mostly it’s a last ditch bid for me not to be normal and average like everyone else, or broken either.

Posted: 18 October 2017 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Total Posts:  7802
Joined  2009-02-26

He is expecting miracles, but neglects to see the miracles of the universe itself.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 October 2017 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Write4U - 18 October 2017 06:57 PM

He is expecting miracles, but neglects to see the miracles of the universe itself.

It’s just that from the things he writes it makes him seem like he’s figured it out, especially the sexual one.

Posted: 18 October 2017 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 18 October 2017 06:51 PM

Something of vital importance that no one else knows about and that would give me insight into truth so that I can build something out of it. I’ve valued truth as a means of living life, no matter how harsh or how much I don’t like it. I fear I am committing confirmation bias by ignoring him and ad homeniem by calling him crazy. There are also a few bits about “illusion” and “hive mind”, but mostly it’s a last ditch bid for me not to be normal and average like everyone else, or broken either.

Those are good goals. You should figure out how to figure out what is true. Reading it on the internet is not an indication of truth. If it was, then you’d be saying that you are worried that I’m right and that I know something vitally important. Again, welcome to adulthood. No one is going to tell you what to do, unless you start going around harming others, then you’ll find what’s true real fast.

Words like “crazy” shouldn’t just be thrown around. There are ways to certify if someone is mentally ill. You don’t need a degree to have a pretty good sense of them. So, apply what you know about the mentally ill when evaluating this guy. His ideas aren’t rooted to much of anything. He values being free from everyone’s control. Well, fine, go be free. Just do it in a way that doesn’t cost me anything. And how do you know you aren’t committing confirmation bias when you dismiss all of us here? Figure that out, then apply how you do that to this idiot. If you can’t or won’t do those things, then you don’t honestly value truth. You certainly have exhibited no inclination to accept harsh truths. And don’t bother trying to tell me you don’t know where to get started figuring these things out, because you’ve already shown you can. If you say you can’t, you wipe out just about everything you’ve said up to now and you’re back to being someone who just doesn’t like the responsibilities that come with growing up.

Posted: 18 October 2017 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I guess you’re right, at this point I’m not valuing truth but just wanting to not be wrong.

I know that all he does is talk about himself, and just asserts things without any (or questionable) evidence. He seems to think not needing others is some kind of strength (as in the case of sex, that he can get off on his own or without touching himself. To me that’s not really “better”, it’s more like “ok, good for you”. That doesn’t make you better than anyone else, that doesn’t even make any logical sense). He thinks metamorphosis is evolution and that is “not even wrong”.

I now realize that all I do is make excuses for him, almost like I WANT him to be right. Again, because if he isn’t or I don’t listen then I’m just average, a sheeple. So it seems my motives aren’t rooted in truth, but more like a personal stake and an ego one at that. Probably why I’m also overly negative while everyone else is not, anything to stand out and be different, because if you are troubled you are smart and know things others don’t.

I value self image and being unique at any cost, which cost me my values for truth I guess.

Posted: 18 October 2017 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Total Posts:  7802
Joined  2009-02-26
Titanomachina - 18 October 2017 08:10 PM

I guess you’re right, at this point I’m not valuing truth but just wanting to not be wrong.

I know that all he does is talk about himself, and just asserts things without any (or questionable) evidence. He seems to think not needing others is some kind of strength (as in the case of sex, that he can get off on his own or without touching himself. To me that’s not really “better”, it’s more like “ok, good for you”. That doesn’t make you better than anyone else, that doesn’t even make any logical sense). He thinks metamorphosis is evolution and that is “not even wrong”.

I now realize that all I do is make excuses for him, almost like I WANT him to be right. Again, because if he isn’t or I don’t listen then I’m just average, a sheeple. So it seems my motives aren’t rooted in truth, but more like a personal stake and an ego one at that. Probably why I’m also overly negative while everyone else is not, anything to stand out and be different, because if you are troubled you are smart and know things others don’t.

I value self image and being unique at any cost, which cost me my values for truth I guess.

Let me be the first to congratulate you for your courage to engage in serious introspection. You have gained my deep respect with that profound post and I can honestly say, “hear, hear” ......... grin

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 18 October 2017 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I guess falling for “truisms” like “the truth hurts” doesn’t help either, I think that truth is supposed to be painful to accept and think that anything shocking is truth, which makes the internet a bad place for me.

But the worst thing has to be my ego, the threat of someone else being better than I am by “getting it” or learning some “forbidden truth” just rubs me the wrong way and so I copy them in order to be superior to the masses. Ugh, that sounds so pathetic now that I write it out.

Posted: 19 October 2017 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 18 October 2017 11:28 PM

I guess falling for “truisms” like “the truth hurts” doesn’t help either, I think that truth is supposed to be painful to accept and think that anything shocking is truth, which makes the internet a bad place for me.

But the worst thing has to be my ego, the threat of someone else being better than I am by “getting it” or learning some “forbidden truth” just rubs me the wrong way and so I copy them in order to be superior to the masses. Ugh, that sounds so pathetic now that I write it out.

Nice post. I look forward to more like this. If you have time for some reading, I recommend Richard Carrier’s Sense and Goodness Without God https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/3297 It is one of a very few books that take a scientific approach to developing your worldview. He covers cosmology and neuroscience and mixes it with some personal stories. It’s been around for a while, so you might be able to find cheap or free versions.

I’ve never read it, but I’ve heard Sam Harris’ Waking Up is also good. Lots of YouTubes about that one.

Posted: 19 October 2017 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I’ve heard some relatively divided views about Sam Harris. Some call him a genius (like on his book about free will) others think he’s full of it.

Posted: 19 October 2017 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 19 October 2017 10:47 AM

I’ve heard some relatively divided views about Sam Harris. Some call him a genius (like on his book about free will) others think he’s full of it.

He is not someone who can be trusted on everything he says. I have fact checked him a couple times myself. But that is usually on political matters. On matters involving the mind, he’s almost always a good source. But that’s cutting edge stuff, so you have to always consider that new data could come out tomorrow.

Posted: 19 October 2017 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I suppose so. I have read some bits about Muslims with him and it’s shocking to say the least. Some like to say that he is taken out of context but I severely doubt that claim.

Posted: 27 October 2017 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

https://forbiddentruthblog.com/2015/...ong-virginity/

https://forbiddentruthblog.com/tag/human-relationships/

https://forbiddentruthblog.com/2017/...-mindlessness/

Yeah, you’re right. Judging from all these things, he really is screwed.

9 of 9