Why is death not the “answer”?
Posted: 03 October 2017 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2016-12-24

zyx

Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 03 October 2017 05:42 PM
Titanomachina - 02 October 2017 11:09 PM

It’s not an assertion, it’s fact. We are all just “wandering” around a rock chasing goals that only showcase our own sense of self importance. So we fill these years with things that really serve no biological purpose. Money, entertainment, just to pass time. We work until we are old, so we can make money, so that we can use the money on entertainment, food, and shelter. In modern western society, food and shelter are pretty much taken for granted, so we really use our extra money on entertainment. Games, television, vacations, just to take up time, until our inevitable demise.

That’s why we NEED a solid grounding in and appreciation for our planet’s evolution, life’s evolution, your body’s evolution and our society’s evolution - it’s important, it fills in a lot of those gaps.

Religions are okay for the human head game - but if you want to appreciate your place in reality - it is absolutely impossible unless you step outside our wonderful minds and onto the solid ground of this Earth under your feet.

DougC.V2, re your last comment,

I relate to you in many ways, and often agree with you, but you can be too harsh - we’re all fucked.
I believe you feel too secure in your own judgementalism.
Come on, we’re all fools on this bus, give the guy a break, cut him some slack.

Aren’t there better ways to call him in his spiel ?  wink

[ Edited: 03 October 2017 06:13 PM by Citizenschallenge-v.3 ]

Posted: 03 October 2017 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  7818
Joined  2009-02-26

I have not heard this addressed yet.

Is there an objective reason for the argument that life is worth living if there is no personal compelling reason to want to keep living?

George Carlin addresses that question in his skit “Life is Sacred?”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY95vuEjTTE

and the stark facts; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXTBVwAZIIs

[ Edited: 03 October 2017 11:54 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 October 2017 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4181
Joined  2009-10-21
Write4U - 03 October 2017 10:14 PM

Is there an objective reason for the argument that life is worth living if there is no personal compelling reason to want to keep living?

Because you never know what tomorrow may bring. aka it gets better. Lack of a reason is not a reason. Given the finality of the decision, you need a good reason to give up. Something like chronic incurable pain.

Carlin answers himself when he says, I’m too dang busy to kill myself.

Posted: 04 October 2017 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2016-12-24
Lausten - 04 October 2017 04:20 AM

Because you never know what tomorrow may bring. aka it gets better. Lack of a reason is not a reason. Given the finality of the decision, you need a good reason to give up. Something like chronic incurable pain.

LOL  LOL  LOL 
There’s a guy that had a way with words.  W4, spot on, nothing like starting the day with a good belly laugh, thanks.
Titano, you taking notes?

Posted: 04 October 2017 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14
Beltane - 01 October 2017 05:31 PM
Titanomachina - 01 October 2017 05:28 PM

Buddhism doesn’t advocate suicide

Maybe not, but it advocates non-existence.

Buddhism teaches that desires and ambitions lead to negative thoughts when those desires are frustrated.  But that doesn’t mean that life is pointless.  By living mindfully in the present moment, we can experience the joy of simply being alive.  That essentially is what meditation does for us.  I don’t consider myself a fully fledged Buddhist, but a lot of it makes sense to me.

Posted: 04 October 2017 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2016-10-10
Advocatus - 04 October 2017 07:23 AM

Buddhism teaches that desires and ambitions lead to negative thoughts when those desires are frustrated.  But that doesn’t mean that life is pointless.  By living mindfully in the present moment, we can experience the joy of simply being alive.  That essentially is what meditation does for us.  I don’t consider myself a fully fledged Buddhist, but a lot of it makes sense to me.

Don’t know a lot about Buddhism, but iirc the goal of Buddhism is to leave the meaningless cycle of reincarnation and become one with the void or whatever it is. Seems like a colorful way of describing non-existence.

Posted: 05 October 2017 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  1014
Joined  2015-12-29
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 04 October 2017 06:47 AM
Lausten - 04 October 2017 04:20 AM

LOL  LOL  LOL 
There’s a guy that had a way with words.  W4, spot on, nothing like starting the day with a good belly laugh, thanks.
Titano, you taking notes?

Carlin missed the mark in regards to suicide. He doesn’t seem to guess that life is too long. I’m only 26 and it feels like it is too long, too much time to fill.

I would appreciate anything that isn’t Disney philosophy, like how “tomorrow will be better” (which is a lie, tomorrow could be worse). Who said you need a good reason to die? Who decides that? Once it’s done there really isn’t any regret to the decision since you don’t exist anymore. That whole “you don’t know what tomorrow brings” isn’t even a counterpoint.

Lack of a reason is in fact a reason to die. There is nothing saying one needs a good reason to die, maybe some are tired of living. At this point it’s more of an obligation rather than any will to keep going. Like I’m doing some duty about how others say it gets better (it hasn’t) or that you don’t know what tomorrow brings (you can know, maybe not in past times but in the modern era it’s quite different). Life is fairly predictable.

Posted: 05 October 2017 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

Oh duty,  good one. For someone who says they have no reason to live, you keep coming up with them. A duty to those who care about you. To stay alive and continue to bless us with your wonderful wit and good humor.

Posted: 05 October 2017 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 05 October 2017 07:40 PM

Oh duty,  good one. For someone who says they have no reason to live, you keep coming up with them. A duty to those who care about you. To stay alive and continue to bless us with your wonderful wit and good humor.

It’s a weird feeling, like I’m sticking around for someone else and not for me.

BUt as someone else said, life is pretty much a predictable cycle of getting a job just to exist for no real reason.

Posted: 06 October 2017 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 05 October 2017 08:09 PM
Lausten - 05 October 2017 07:40 PM

It’s a weird feeling, like I’m sticking around for someone else and not for me.

BUt as someone else said, life is pretty much a predictable cycle of getting a job just to exist for no real reason.

What makes a reason real?

Posted: 06 October 2017 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

Or as my dear Auntie Rosanna Anna Danna used to say,
Life means as little or as much as you want it to mean.  kiss

Posted: 06 October 2017 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14
Beltane - 04 October 2017 02:00 PM
Advocatus - 04 October 2017 07:23 AM

Don’t know a lot about Buddhism, but iirc the goal of Buddhism is to leave the meaningless cycle of reincarnation and become one with the void or whatever it is. Seems like a colorful way of describing non-existence.

Different branches of Buddhism seem to disagree about whether reincarnation really happens at all.  This is one of the teachings that prevents me from actually becoming a Buddhist actually.  But the basic philosophy which they all agree on is that the present, the here and now, is the only thing that matters.  There’s no point in pining for some afterlife where things will be better.  Learn to experience the joy in the present moment, in performing the most ordinary tasks.  The idea of “becoming one with the void” as you put it sounds no different to me than what we atheists believe, that after death there is only nonexistence.

Posted: 07 October 2017 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 06 October 2017 07:59 AM

It’s just that I enjoyed things before when I thought I had to stick around for a long time, which made me think “might as well build something if I’m going to be here a while”. But realizing it’s optional makes me second guess why I live. That means I choose pain and suffering as long as I want to live. I don’t “have” to build a life and do things I enjoy because I’m not obligated to. It’s weird to be in such a position. It’s like I don’t want to die, but I don’t see a logical reason to live when it isn’t necessarily

Posted: 07 October 2017 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  7818
Joined  2009-02-26
Titanomachina - 07 October 2017 12:20 PM

It’s just that I enjoyed things before when I thought I had to stick around for a long time, which made me think “might as well build something if I’m going to be here a while”. But realizing it’s optional makes me second guess why I live. That means I choose pain and suffering as long as I want to live. I don’t “have” to build a life and do things I enjoy because I’m not obligated to. It’s weird to be in such a position. It’s like I don’t want to die, but I don’t see a logical reason to live when it isn’t necessarily

Try smoking a jay, that’ll motivate you…... grin

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 07 October 2017 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2016-12-24
Write4U - 07 October 2017 08:25 PM
Titanomachina - 07 October 2017 12:20 PM

Try smoking a jay, that’ll motivate you…... grin

No, don’t tell me,  you knew Auntie Rosanna Anna Danna too.  surprised

4 of 9