Posted: 07 October 2017 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7854
Joined  2009-02-26

CC-v-3 said,
No, don’t tell me,  you knew Auntie Rosanna Anna Danna too.  surprised

She was a deep thinker….... smile

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 October 2017 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 06 October 2017 07:59 AM

Or as my dear Auntie Rosanna Anna Danna used to say,
Life means as little or as much as you want it to mean.  kiss

It was Roseanne Roseannadanna

Sheesh!

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 08 October 2017 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

Life means as little or as much as you want it to mean.  kiss[/quote

It was Roseanne Roseannadanna

Sheesh!

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2017 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 07 October 2017 12:20 PM

It’s just that I enjoyed things before when I thought I had to stick around for a long time, which made me think “might as well build something if I’m going to be here a while”. But realizing it’s optional makes me second guess why I live. That means I choose pain and suffering as long as I want to live. I don’t “have” to build a life and do things I enjoy because I’m not obligated to. It’s weird to be in such a position. It’s like I don’t want to die, but I don’t see a logical reason to live when it isn’t necessarily

Reading this, it hit me that Titanomachina grew up. We all have these moments when we realize we are on our own. We get an apartment, or maybe a dorm room and we can have over whomever we want, we get a drivers license and realize we can go anywhere, we can stock our cabinets full of junk food and beer, we can stay up late and watch a movie and no one is there to tell us otherwise. We have full authority over our own bodies. Hopefully by time we get that, we’ve learned responsibility. Part of that responsibility is understanding there is a future and that there are other people around us and that those two things work in tandem. Tita leaves these things out of his “logic”.

Posted: 08 October 2017 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  1019
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 08 October 2017 07:12 AM

It’s just that I enjoyed things before when I thought I had to stick around for a long time, which made me think “might as well build something if I’m going to be here a while”. But realizing it’s optional makes me second guess why I live. That means I choose pain and suffering as long as I want to live. I don’t “have” to build a life and do things I enjoy because I’m not obligated to. It’s weird to be in such a position. It’s like I don’t want to die, but I don’t see a logical reason to live when it isn’t necessarily

Reading this, it hit me that Titanomachina grew up. We all have these moments when we realize we are on our own. We get an apartment, or maybe a dorm room and we can have over whomever we want, we get a drivers license and realize we can go anywhere, we can stock our cabinets full of junk food and beer, we can stay up late and watch a movie and no one is there to tell us otherwise. We have full authority over our own bodies. Hopefully by time we get that, we’ve learned responsibility. Part of that responsibility is understanding there is a future and that there are other people around us and that those two things work in tandem. Tita leaves these things out of his “logic”.

I left them out because they don’t factor into it. As I have said, I’m not obligated to stay alive so I don’t see why I should. It made sense to care about what happens to me if I HAVE to live, after all might as well make the ride comfortable. But I don’t have to, so I find it hard to justify choosing pain and sticking around for years on this planet, or working hard just to live another day when I don’t have to. It’s weird not wanting to die but not really wanting to live or seeing the point of living I guess.

Posted: 08 October 2017 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Write4U - 07 October 2017 08:25 PM

Try smoking a jay, that’ll motivate you…... grin

It doesn’t just makes me sad and sleepy.

Posted: 08 October 2017 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Titanomachina - 08 October 2017 12:52 PM
Lausten - 08 October 2017 07:12 AM

I left them out because they don’t factor into it. As I have said, I’m not obligated to stay alive so I don’t see why I should. It made sense to care about what happens to me if I HAVE to live, after all might as well make the ride comfortable. But I don’t have to, so I find it hard to justify choosing pain and sticking around for years on this planet, or working hard just to live another day when I don’t have to. It’s weird not wanting to die but not really wanting to live or seeing the point of living I guess.

You stay alive because your determining factors make you want to stay alive. You have no control over it. If your determining factors should change and make you no longer want to stay alive you will probably find a way to kill yourself. Your consciousness will have no input. Your determining factors are 100% in control.

SpM lime, spam line, spam line. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

[ Edited: 09 October 2017 04:45 AM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2017 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

Pretty much any time you type “as I have said”, just stop.

What you say here is, I know there are reasons, I’m just not considering them. That’s bad logic. You don’t HAVE to live. You don’t have choose pain or hard work. You’re free. That’s the weird thing you are having trouble with. You are like Harold from Harold and Maude, you are walking around already dead. You have seen the choices of working toward happiness or doing just enough to avoid suffering.

Posted: 09 October 2017 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 09 October 2017 07:17 AM

What you say here is, I know there are reasons, I’m just not considering them. That’s bad logic. You don’t HAVE to live. You don’t have choose pain or hard work. You’re free. That’s the weird thing you are having trouble with. You are like Harold from Harold and Maude, you are walking around already dead. You have seen the choices of working toward happiness or doing just enough to avoid suffering.

But without any “have to” to live, why do so? Why choose suffering and what is likely a painful end to all of it? I mean, there isn’t a goal to life. It’s just existing. We humans are aware enough to recognize that and are scared by the void.

Posted: 10 October 2017 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 09 October 2017 09:16 PM
Lausten - 09 October 2017 07:17 AM

But without any “have to” to live, why do so? Why choose suffering and what is likely a painful end to all of it? I mean, there isn’t a goal to life. It’s just existing. We humans are aware enough to recognize that and are scared by the void.

That question has been answered a few dozen times. Look up any of the threads you started. But you don’t get to say anything about your “logic” because I’ve shown that you don’t have any.

Posted: 10 October 2017 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH53vje0SEU

From the 2 min mark on describes what I’m trying to get at here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RD10h7rORA

Also the audio book that would nullify the opposition.

[ Edited: 10 October 2017 11:42 AM by Titanomachina ]

Posted: 10 October 2017 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

And one of the video comments:

when people say “life is inherently bad” what they mean is “the reality we have to experience isn’t very nice.” I agree that there’s nothing inherently good or bad because those are social constructs, but your response to it seems to sidestep what’s being talked about more than address it. who cares if it’s all in our heads? it’s unacceptable nonetheless

also the alternative to finding happiness, or more likely failing to find happiness, is suicide and I encourage everyone to kill themselves as quickly and painlessly as possible. though the treachery of existence and our evolution ensures that suicide is often out of our reach, but books like these help us ease into the idea that we should destroy everything around us as thoroughly as possible until we can ensure our total destruction and preferably the destruction of all things

Posted: 10 October 2017 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 10 October 2017 10:59 AM

And one of the video comments:

when people say “life is inherently bad” what they mean is “the reality we have to experience isn’t very nice.” I agree that there’s nothing inherently good or bad because those are social constructs, but your response to it seems to sidestep what’s being talked about more than address it. who cares if it’s all in our heads? it’s unacceptable nonetheless

also the alternative to finding happiness, or more likely failing to find happiness, is suicide and I encourage everyone to kill themselves as quickly and painlessly as possible. though the treachery of existence and our evolution ensures that suicide is often out of our reach, but books like these help us ease into the idea that we should destroy everything around us as thoroughly as possible until we can ensure our total destruction and preferably the destruction of all things

I’ve done more research on Ligotti than I care to already. He’s a fiction writer, not a philosopher. If that’s where you get your logic, it explains a lot. He lacks logic just like you. A guy pointing to a book is not an argument. That a guy wrote a book is not an argument. The video comment is rambling and incoherent. That you can’t “shake it” or can’t make an argument against Ligotti isn’t telling you that he’s right, it’s telling you that this is a discussion you aren’t up to having. People make arguments and write books all the time, and they are still wrong. People buy them and believe them, and they are wrong too.

Posted: 10 October 2017 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I think Schopenhauer puts it better:

Schopenhauer notes that once satiated, the feeling of satisfaction rarely lasts and we spend most of our lives in a state of endless striving, in this sense, we are, deep down nothing but Will. Even the moments of satisfaction, when repeated often enough, only lead to boredom and thus human existence is constantly swinging “like a pendulum to and fro between pain and boredom, and these two are in fact its ultimate constituents”.[22] This ironic cycle eventually allows us to see the inherent vanity at the truth of existence (nichtigkeit) and to realize that “the purpose of our existence is not to be happy”

Posted: 10 October 2017 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

Or really this whole page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pessimism#Albert_Camus

5 of 9