Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2016-12-24
Write4U - 30 December 2017 12:48 AM
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 29 December 2017 11:44 AM
Write4U - 22 November 2017 06:12 PM

I’m a retired bassplayer.

Contrabass?
Classical?

Yep, for the first 7 years I played the night club circuit with a Roth upright, but it was so wieldy, I switched to a Peavey elecric for the last three years on the road. Then I got married and took an 9 to 5 job as bookkeeper, playing classical in our small town orchestra. There is no jazz in No Idaho….. sick

I still have both but seldom play anymore, except for occasionally “sitting in” with local bands. I can’t use the upright anymore because my callouses are all gone after 10 years of bookkeeping. So it stands in a corner and is home to a few spiders… grin

I never played, but grew up with a contrabass and cello sitting in the living.  My dad used the cello for classical music and the contrabass for jazz.  He practiced a lot and I loved the sound of it.  Poor guy none of his five kids had any talent for playing, but we all love listening.

Posted: 30 December 2017 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1603
Joined  2010-04-22

There is no jazz in No Idaho….. sick

A few years ago now I worked with Camden Hughes in the Great Basin Jazz Camp. Camden’s a great jazz multi-instrumentalist who works around Boise.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 30 December 2017 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7915
Joined  2009-02-26
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 30 December 2017 07:30 AM
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 29 December 2017 11:44 AM
Write4U - 22 November 2017 06:12 PM

I’m a retired bassplayer.

Contrabass?
Classical?

Yep, for the first 7 years I played the night club circuit with a Roth upright, but it was so wieldy, I switched to a Peavey elecric for the last three years on the road. Then I got married and took an 9 to 5 job as bookkeeper, playing classical in our small town orchestra. There is no jazz in No Idaho….. sick

I still have both but seldom play anymore, except for occasionally “sitting in” with local bands. I can’t use the upright anymore because my callouses are all gone after 10 years of bookkeeping. So it stands in a corner and is home to a few spiders… grin

I never played, but grew up with a contrabass and cello sitting in the living.  My dad used the cello for classical music and the contrabass for jazz.  He practiced a lot and I loved the sound of it.  Poor guy none of his five kids had any talent for playing, but we all love listening.

Yes, apart from the piano, I think the cello is the most versatile and melodic instrument, but as I have large hands and fingers, the bass was easy for me to handle and I always liked the idea that the bass is both a rhythmical as well as melodic instrument which bridges pure rhythm with melodic content. A subtle foundation, especially in smaller jazz combos.

A perfect example of this is evident in this excellent Bireli Lagrene trio playing “C’est si bon”, primarily a straight bass-line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbu8ZdojVg4

as well in the Ahmad Jamal new version of “Poinciana”, the interplay between bass and piano is just lovely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GtrfgrSY0

p.s. I have a virtual jazz club; “Foggy Manor Jass Club” on PalTalk which allows me to broadcast jazz in the music (jazz) section. It’s great fun and an opportunity to listen to jazz from all over the world as everyone has opportunity to broadcas their favorite tunes.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 31 December 2017 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2017-10-26
TromboneAndrew - 28 December 2017 08:14 PM

Cool, a fellow music lover! smile

For religious music, I prefer to go a bit more old school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHQ2ybTejU

The tune starts at 0:16

The vid was as captivating as the musical notes. Thank you so much. Too bad it was not as long As I would wish it to be. Exquisite!!!!!

Posted: 31 December 2017 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2017-10-26

Citizen challenge, thanks for capturing ” ...retired Bass player…”  quote,  because I missed it.

@ Write 4U, I didn’t really appreciate the Bass as instrument til Metallica’s “Load” or “Re-load”,  I think, where Bob Rock, their then producer brought it to the for front. That might not be the best example of a nice display of how it can beautify a song. But to me that’s what did it. Now I lOooove IT. You’re a blessed person for being able to play it. WoW!

Posted: 31 December 2017 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2017-10-26

Happy New Year to Aaaaaaaalll of you. Best Wishes and May You all conquer and overcome In the name of Jesus The Christ. Amen.

blowing kisses…And champagne Toating to 2018….

Posted: 31 December 2017 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
InBetween - 31 December 2017 10:09 AM

The vid was as captivating as the musical notes. Thank you so much. Too bad it was not as long As I would wish it to be. Exquisite!!!!!

Well, since you asked . . . there is more. smile That piece actually has some interesting history associated with it, and it’s a small part of a collection Bach wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Musical_Offering

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 31 December 2017 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7915
Joined  2009-02-26

Seconded wholeheartedly!

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 31 December 2017 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2010-04-22

Along the lines of classic religious music, Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah is one of the all-time awesome pieces of music. I do have a favorite recorded ending, although for maybe not the reason one would think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gBGaB5bwI

As a musician, I get a great kick out of happy little accidents like this.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 02 January 2018 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2017-10-26
TromboneAndrew - 31 December 2017 10:40 AM

Well, since you asked . . . there is more. smile That piece actually has some interesting history associated with it, and it’s a small part of a collection Bach wrote:

un bouquet de fleurs.  red face hugs.

Posted: 02 January 2018 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2017-10-26
Write4U - 31 December 2017 11:22 AM

Seconded wholeheartedly!

To me it comes across as the music or more like the language of the gods or angels.

Posted: 02 January 2018 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2017-10-26

I really like this cover by Disturbed of the “sound of silence”. Hope you like it red face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

Posted: 07 January 2018 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  263
Joined  2017-09-24
InBetween - 02 January 2018 07:18 PM
TromboneAndrew - 31 December 2017 10:40 AM

un bouquet de fleurs.  red face hugs.

what a bi-polar turd you truly are, all sunshine a sweet on some threads and a complete psycho on others.

this is what you posted to me earlier…

I gave you couple of pieces of info to keep you busy if you were to be an honest person, but since you are not. Get back to your pipe. I have other things to do then waste my time with an ignorant idiot. bye bye.

Like I said, SETH Rich is the building 7 OF the schemings of that criminal bitch. And Apparently Session decided to probe her ok-ing the sale of American Uranium to a Russian Company, after all. The bitch Called Putin “dictator” right around the time she did that. Now if that’s not criminally schizophrenic, what is. And on and on and on….

And you might want to pour some ice water on your undersized head. Trump is not going anywhere. Pelosi herself said so as she SAID “There is no evidence for him being forced to leave”.

Posted: 07 January 2018 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15764
Joined  2006-02-14
DougC.V2 - 07 January 2018 12:49 PM

what a bi-polar turd you truly are, ...

this is what you posted to me earlier…

DougC this is completely uncalled for and against the rules. Continued rule violations may lead to banning.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 07 January 2018 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2016-12-24
TromboneAndrew - 31 December 2017 04:24 PM

Along the lines of classic religious music, Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah is one of the all-time awesome pieces of music. I do have a favorite recorded ending, although for maybe not the reason one would think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gBGaB5bwI  shock

As a musician, I get a great kick out of happy little accidents like this.

As a listener I can feel a great kick in the somewhere - OUCH

That poor organist, that’s one of those things who’s memory will make one cringe decades later.  shut eye

next up Timpanist Fail  LOL

2 of 3