RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7916
Joined  2009-02-26
Boris - 12 January 2018 07:09 PM
Write4U - 12 January 2018 07:04 PM
Boris - 12 January 2018 06:53 PM
Write4U - 12 January 2018 04:17 PM

yeah well, you forgot to include this little tidbit

Pyrrho was a Skeptic who created the school named Pyrrhonism. He too wrote after his stay in India that nothing really exists, but said that human life is governed by convention. These two statements are purely Buddhist - showing the connection between the religions of the ancient Greeks with Buddhism. It also shows how attractive Buddhism was to other religions at the time

Which means that Buddhism was a thriving religion in India and beyond and not at the brink of extinction as you suggested.

No it wasn’t it was almost dead and was dying out until the Greeks converted to it and developed it and spread it

Can you not see the contradiction in your argument.

no

the Greeks changed Buddhism and spread it - that is the fact

IOW, they plagiarized it.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 12 January 2018 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 242 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2017-11-10

If you want to believe that the Greeks had nothing whatsoever to do with Buddhism - you just go right ahead.

As for me - I say its a Greek religion and without the Greeks and Greek influence if would have died out as it has in India now but is strong in Sri Lanka.

The statues are all Greek - the monks that spread it to China and Asia were Greek. The monks who taught Pankration to the Shaolin were Greeks.

But hey - I totally get I am wasting my breath.

Posted: 13 January 2018 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 243 ]
Total Posts:  4329
Joined  2009-10-21
Boris - 12 January 2018 06:52 PM

its my thread - I started it to talk about Zoroastrianism and Judaism

and then I mentioned that Buddhism was a Greek religion

And yoy have continued to hijack yourself

Posted: 13 January 2018 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 244 ]
Total Posts:  4329
Joined  2009-10-21
Boris - 12 January 2018 07:50 PM

If you want to believe that the Greeks had nothing whatsoever to do with Buddhism - you just go right ahead.

As for me - I say its a Greek religion and without the Greeks and Greek influence if would have died out as it has in India now but is strong in Sri Lanka.

The statues are all Greek - the monks that spread it to China and Asia were Greek. The monks who taught Pankration to the Shaolin were Greeks.

But hey - I totally get I am wasting my breath.

Like that

Posted: 13 January 2018 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 245 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-11-10

Buddhism is just one example of Hellenisation where Greek influence changed Asia in thousands of ways all because of Alexander the Great.

The Greeks for almost 200 years took Asian things and made them Greek.

Without Alexander the great there would be no Buddhism and no Karate.

Posted: 13 January 2018 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 246 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-11-10

Here dont take my word for it.

http://stars.library.ucf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2577&context=honorstheses1990-2015

Abstract
The study of the Hellenistic period has produced a historical construction of the various
relationships that formed between the Greco-Macedonian settlers and the natives they came into
contact with. Hellenic kings established kingdoms as far as modern day Pakistan, Afghanistan
and India, bringing them into contact with the Persian and Indian natives. The study herein is
focused on the relationship that formed between the Greco-Macedonian descendants and the
Buddhist group that emerged out of India. Numismatic evidence shows that Greco-Bactrian and
Indo-Greek kings held political control over regions bordering the Hindu Kush; furthermore, the
Indo-Greek coins indicate a relationship between their kings and the Buddhists. Artistic
representations found in various cities, such as Ai-Khanoum, illuminate on the cultural blending
that occurred as Greek themes began to be represented through local techniques and material.
Ancient literature and archeological remains provide further proof of interaction and help to give
an identity to key Greek and Indian monarchs. With regard to Buddhism, these monarchs played
an important role in the growth of the religion as, alongside artistic expression, the religion had
prospered since its beginnings through the aid of royal patronage. In the Greek kingdoms the
Buddhists found new mediums of artistic expression and kings that supported their monastic and
lay lives; in turn the Greeks saw a pacifist religious group that attracted merchants and wealth.
The relationship was mutually beneficial and numismatic evidence from the Indo-Greeks shows
that their kings showed favoritism towards the Buddhists. The conclusion herein is that the
Greeks provided the structural foundations for the growth of Buddhism who in turn attracted
wealth and provided a medium for cooperation between the Greek monarchs and parts of the
native population.

[ Edited: 13 January 2018 05:21 PM by Boris ]

Posted: 13 January 2018 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 247 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  269
Joined  2017-09-24
Boris - 13 January 2018 02:40 PM

Buddhism is just one example of Hellenisation where Greek influence changed Asia in thousands of ways all because of Alexander the Great.

The Greeks for almost 200 years took Asian things and made them Greek.

Without Alexander the great there would be no Buddhism and no Karate.

What a load of BS, without Greek influence Buddhism would have been different, it would have still existed because it derives from spiritual beliefs from Southern India not southern Europe.

Under Greek influence there was a personification of the “Buddha”, the underlying beliefs had been around for a very long time before that and were of truly Asian not European origin.

And that personification of a Buddha is almost certainly fictional just as with Christ - and under a great deal of Greek influence as well - what was understood to be a mythical figure who’s roots can be traced back thousands of years was also turned into a literal “historical” figure.

Taking what in other cultures were understood to be mythical esoteric figures intended to reveal inner “truths” and turning them into exoteric literal characters that are no different from today’s superheroes was no accomplishment at all. In fact it has set back genuine spiritual investigation and freedom for millenia.

And so does trying to treat any religious texts as history…

Posted: 14 January 2018 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 248 ]
Total Posts:  2254
Joined  2013-06-01

If you break Buddhism down to its root. What is it? Knowledge. What type of knowledge? Sutra. Where did it originally come from? Sanskrit literature. What the Greeks did with sutra knowledge is defeat the longest sitting and most powerful god of all time – Ra. Ra’s power was that he controlled all knowledge and the only way you gained knowledge was when Ra gave it to you. It took the sutra knowledge to get the people in the Egyptian area thinking differently.

Posted: 14 January 2018 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 249 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  269
Joined  2017-09-24
MikeYohe - 14 January 2018 10:13 AM

If you break Buddhism down to its root. What is it? Knowledge. What type of knowledge? Sutra. Where did it originally come from? Sanskrit literature. What the Greeks did with sutra knowledge is defeat the longest sitting and most powerful god of all time – Ra. Ra’s power was that he controlled all knowledge and the only way you gained knowledge was when Ra gave it to you. It took the sutra knowledge to get the people in the Egyptian area thinking differently.

Like I said, in some people’s minds this is no different than today’s superheroes.

They don’t even have a clue where our religions actually come from and what they were actually meant to describe.

And it wasn’t “people” with magical exoteric powers.

Posted: 15 January 2018 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 250 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

Boris, how were the Buddha burial methods compared to the Greek and India? Were the sky burials picked up in India? It is interesting that the Buddha uses the swastika at a time it was also used in Greece. Looking at this from a religious viewpoint I find it hard getting any facts that are solid. But a different view when I look at what was going on with methods to try and rebuild or save the knowledge of the sutras. Most people today have a mental block when it comes to thinking that the people of the past were dealing with knowledge. Today, people like to think that we are the smart ones and they were basically stupid when it comes to knowledge. Yet, the word god first meant “knowledge”. And Jesus was Gnostic. Which means “knowledge”. We seem to have a problem with understanding a religion based upon knowledge. The closest we come is maybe Buddhism and yet many of the sutras that ended up in the bible are credited to god. Which might be showing that the bible was in a way trying to use the historically proven system but also a deity to control the knowledge as Ra did remarkably well for so long. 

Timeline. First universities in India – 600 BC. In Greece – 500 BC.  Buddha comes along around 480 BC with sutras of Sanskrit literature. Alexander the Great – 315 BC.

Ancient Greece scholars. Pythagoras, Plutarch, Plato, Socrates, Sophocles, Herodotus, Pericles, Pindar, Euripides, Diogenes, Aesop, Aristotle, Archimedes, Hippocrates. One must ask; how did Greece get a monopoly on knowledge? For example, we have the atom. Pre-history say that all things are made of matter and an atom is the smallest part of matter. Then we have the colleges in India teaching the atom in 600 BC. Then in Greece in 500 BC. Democritus in 400 BC is remembered for his formulation of an atomic theory of the universe. 

The knowledge was moving from East to West. Then a couple hundred years latter the knowledge and technology were moving West to East.

And move a couple hundred years up the timeline after that the Buddha aphorisms were being use in Gnostic teachings at the colleges in Alexandria Egypt and you got the Buddha saying being incorporated into the stories of the bible.

What seems obvious is the knowledge base worked well with the caste systems being used in the beginning. Once the populations got big enough to have universities then the knowledge was following the populations. The populations were following the protein. The bones show that the people’s health went down with increases of populations and up again after major plagues. The hybrid olive being introduced to the West caused a major change to the protein levels and the population grew and was healthy. The knowledge base also increased and caused changes to take place in the religious structure and thousands of gods were created to maintain this knowledge base. Over time, knowledge ended up being kept by only a few gods with really great power. These were the religions that were able to take the sutras and aphorisms of passed down knowledge and incorporate them into their religion. The Indo-Greek connection between Sanskrit and Greek is shown by the Greek god Zeus (Dios) who shares his name with the Vedic god Dyaus. There are shared poems and plays.  Sanchayan Sarkar, PhD Research from Pittsburgh University claims that all this knowledge started with the Rig Veda, then to India. Then to Greece. So, is the bible in a way kind of a byproduct of global knowledge being portrayed by a deity?

Posted: 15 January 2018 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 251 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-11-10

the sky burials are Zoroastrian Parsee or Persian - not Indian per se even though they were once the same people

Buddhism was developed and spread by the Greeks and is part of the Hellenisation of Asia after Alexander the Great

the proto Indo Persians split and the Sandskrit and Avestan languages are the same but evolved apart but still recognisably for the same origin so one went east and the other west and ideas spread and evolve

Posted: 16 January 2018 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 252 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

I read a theory that claimed that the Greeks originally were Caucasians from India. But, just about everyone at one point came from India after the human bottleneck. 

Operation Messiah: St Paul, Roman Intelligence and the Birth of Christianity Jun 16, 2008 by Thijs Voskuilen and Rose Mary Sheldon.

Spies of the Bible is another book by Rose Mary Sheldon. 

It is interesting to say the least and to talk about these other puzzles or theories of our heritage. Paul’s job was to investigate and neutralize civic and religious dissenters. Paul goal may have been to make the psychological controlling of people available to the Romans.

As Greg J. Lovern stated,
  —Ancient Roman espionage was very sophisticated; impressive even by modern standards.
  —Actions by Paul described in the New Testament that are otherwise difficult to explain, make perfect sense if he was an excellent Roman spy.
  —As a spy, Paul’s purpose was not only to get information about the Christians to the Romans, but also to modify their religion to make it less threatening to Rome.

Point being. We know that India controlled China for over a thousand years without using one soldier. India’s knowledge was showing up in the West, mainly Greece. We have teachers of psychological thinking over a long period of time in Greece. We know that Roman armies used soldiers as a last resort. Psychological warfare was preferred.  Not only by the Greeks and Romans.  As far back as 600 BC the Persians use it in the Battle of Pelusium.  http://news.softpedia.com/news/Jesus-Was-Invented-by-the-Romans-as-Form-of-Psychological-Warfare-390175.shtml Now, how does the Greeks creating the Buddha religion fit in with what was going on at the time? It proves that they not only had the knowledge, they also had the skills to implement the knowledge.

RE: “I would wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions, with a good memory, a broad range of ideas and a clear-sighted view of important issues,” Professor Crabtree says in a provocative paper published in the journal Trends in Genetics.  Professor Gerald Crabtree, heads a genetics laboratory at Stanford University in California.

Boris, your Buddha coming from Greece fits just fine with the theory that Paul created Christianity.

17 of 17