Christianity as a default in Europe is gone
Posted: 22 March 2018 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  179
Joined  2017-09-01

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/21/christianity-non-christian-europe-young-people-survey-religion

Something to cheer about.

I wonder, why Slovakia is not in the article, but whatever. In last census 60% of Slovaks (all generations) identified as christians, however only 20% from this group actually visit churches.

Edit: I contacted the St. Mary University in Twickenham if they had the information from Slovakia. If not, i already started to ask poll agency in Slovakia if they can perform such inquiry and for the costs.

[ Edited: 22 March 2018 02:25 AM by Offler ]

Posted: 22 March 2018 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2013-06-01

What is your thoughts on where the Christianity went to? Mankind and religion goes back into pre-history. Humans seem to have a gene that requires them to seek some of the items Christianity provided. Assuming that humans have not changed, there must be something that is replacing the Christianity.

My bet would be the items Christianity provide are in the forms of knowledge and history of human spirit. And I would guess the internet is giving better knowledge on the subjects in question.

The other item that may have caused some changes is the Churches tax systems. I have read where the churches in Germany was not allowing people into the church if they stopped the payroll deduction going to the church. This was because so many people were stopping the deduction. Sounded to me like the churches were creating a pay to pray system.

Posted: 22 March 2018 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  605
Joined  2016-10-10

The headline is painting with wide strokes as the graph shows identifying as Christian is still quite common outside most of northern and western Europe. Also keep in mind that Islam will become dominant in several of the “godless” countries if demographic trends continue.

Posted: 23 March 2018 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2017-09-01
MikeYohe - 22 March 2018 12:59 PM

What is your thoughts on where the Christianity went to? Mankind and religion goes back into pre-history. Humans seem to have a gene that requires them to seek some of the items Christianity provided. Assuming that humans have not changed, there must be something that is replacing the Christianity.

My bet would be the items Christianity provide are in the forms of knowledge and history of human spirit. And I would guess the internet is giving better knowledge on the subjects in question.

Answer to the question is hidden in idioms which are common to various different languages. “God knows” can be described as “I dont know, and there is possibilty that nobody else does”. The main difference is access to knowledge, partially by easier ways than printed books.

Downsize is that we have to deal with hoaxes and quacks. Certain people - some religious, but also some well informed skeptics - are either afraid what will replace religion or are actively fightning misinformation. Clergy tend to claim that religious beliefs are either harmless or are motivating people to live healthy life without committing crimes. This would be fine, unless religious people start to create conspiracy theories of their own or fight science, or even take part in religiously motivated violence.

Science wont be new religion, but rise of various beliefs which are destructive (various sects, breatharianism) to the believers indicates risks to the society. Christian beliefs are relatively harmless, unless you live in Northern Ireland.

Beltane - 22 March 2018 01:45 PM

The headline is painting with wide strokes as the graph shows identifying as Christian is still quite common outside most of northern and western Europe. Also keep in mind that Islam will become dominant in several of the “godless” countries if demographic trends continue.

The headline is probably directed toward audience in UK, I expecteded it to be similar to France or Germany. There might be shift happenning.

When it comes to Bratislava, Slovakia where I live, situation should be similar to Portugal, but because we are culturally close to both Czech Republic and Poland it differs a lot in various regions of Slovakia. northeast of the country is very religious on similar level as Poland, southeast is more secular. 70% of secular people in my case is an informed guess.

I would expect that amount of secular people in region where I live is much higher compared to USA.

[ Edited: 23 March 2018 12:48 AM by Offler ]

Posted: 29 March 2018 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2015-11-28

It would have been gone a long time ago if the Catholics did not take over the religion. Today the Catholic network of religious tribes, (all the denominations of Christianity) controls about half the wealth on Earth.  That alone will provide staying power for the greedy, murderous, treacherous, Catholic Christians.

Posted: 30 March 2018 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2297
Joined  2016-12-24

Hey but if the Pope says Hell is a myth, what’s that do for them?

just wondering

Posted: 31 March 2018 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2015-11-28
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 30 March 2018 04:27 PM

just wondering

I believe in 3 realms of human life, THEN, NOW, and WHEREVER.

THEN is the ~ 200,000 years humans adapted to the environment of the planet prior to the notions of Christianity and substantiated by an abundance of proof.

NOW is the Holocene Epoch, a period of geologic time that began about 11,700 years ago and is the geologic time period we still live in today.
Another term that is sometimes used is “Anthropocene Epoch” because the Holocene extinction referred to as the sixth extinction is currently an ongoing extinction event of species mainly due to human activity.

Christians created WHEREVER when they created designated spaces for Hell, Heaven.
, Purgatory and other Devine spaces that did not exist prior to Christians. these spaces are in WHEREVER along with all that defines Christianity.

I cannot answer or comment on your questions of Hell and Pope.  I strongly believe in THEN” and NOW.

WHEREVER is the realm of Christian adherents and their supernatural ideology.  It’s a place for atheists and other non believers to ask religious questions and argue.

Posted: 31 March 2018 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

WHATEVER

tongue rolleye

Posted: 31 March 2018 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2016-12-24

I simply couldn’t resist

AMH - 31 March 2018 05:39 AM

I believe in 3 realms of human life, THEN, NOW, and WHEREVER.

Back to what you wrote.
The way you describe it makes perfect sense to me.
The way the Pope explains it, doesn’t work for me.

Posted: 31 March 2018 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2017-09-01
Citizenschallenge-v.3 - 30 March 2018 04:27 PM

just wondering

Pope John Paul II said that “heaven is a state of mind” some 10+ years ago… Yet there is still a lady writing her 4rth blog on same plattform i write my blogs, and warns about risks of the afterlife…

She has to be perfectly unaware of that statement.