Tawik Hamid - Mar 16/2007
Posted: 20 March 2007 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-03-20

Hi All.. I am new here/ Sorry I bypassed the Welcome Discussion

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OUJErMA4d9Q

Who invited that clown Glen Beck to the Secularist Muslim Conference??
Ahmid Bedier didn’t have much good to say about Tawfik Hamid.

I hope he isn’t a spokesperson for all of Islamic America.. If so we are in trouble..
Rob

Posted: 20 March 2007 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

Interesting Podcast

I listened to this podcast this evening on the way home and was fascinated by his argument—specifically that if a Muslim doesn’t specifically denounce a person and his actions, they either that person or those actions are subliminally supported.  That, if CAIR doesn’t specifically denounce terrorism and the actions of Bin Laden and Bin Laden himself, that it doesn’t really rebuke all aspects of terrorism and/or what Bin Laden planned on 9/11.

I was also encouraged by his grasping for ways to use gentler quotes from the Koran to supersede the more violent ones, the way xians concentrate on Jesus’ words of love and ignore the “I come bearing a sword” stuff.

I learned a lot!

Posted: 20 March 2007 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-20

Making quotes like “All Muslims support “passive terrorism” isn’t going to win him the Henry Kissinger award for diplomicy smile

Posted: 20 March 2007 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-01-21
[quote author=“Aushawster”]Making quotes like “All Muslims support “passive terrorism” isn’t going to win him the Henry Kissinger award for diplomicy smile

I dont remember him saying that at all. Maybe we should post a transcript. This is one of our more popular interviews based on the downloads and hits, and we have received a lot of emails about it from around the world and I hope it gets an even wider audience than it appears to be getting so far.

My understanding of what he said is that any muslim who doesnt denounce terrorists by name or doesnt denounce the institutions that refuse to denounce terrorists by name are what he calls “passive terrorists” themselves. “Terrorists in value and belief but not in practice.” Or as Ibn Warraq says, “whats a moderate muslim—a terrorist who has run out of ammunition.”  Although admittedly that is polemic I think.

But Tawfik is a believing muslim, NOT an apostate or unbeliever and he denounces terrorist muslims. I, for one, wish all muslims would.

Signature 

Thomas Donnelly
Center for Inquiry?
716-636-7571 ext 420
tdonnelly (at) centerforinquiry.net
http://www.centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 20 March 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-03-04

He made several references to what he described as mainstream Islamic texts that support pedophilia? Dare one ask which ones?

Posted: 21 March 2007 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-20

[quote author=“Thomas”][quote author=“Aushawster”]Making quotes like “All Muslims support “passive terrorism” isn’t going to win him the Henry Kissinger award for diplomicy smile

My understanding of what he said is that any muslim who doesnt denounce terrorists by name or doesnt denounce the institutions that refuse to denounce terrorists by name are what he calls “passive terrorists” themselves. “Terrorists in value and belief but not in practice.” Or as Ibn Warraq says, “whats a moderate muslim—a terrorist who has run out of ammunition.”  Although admittedly that is polemic I think.
But Tawfik is a believing muslim, NOT an apostate or unbeliever and he denounces terrorist muslims. I, for one, wish all muslims would.

Thank you for completing the quote..
Having had a brief email conforontation with Ahmed Bedier(who appeared with Tawfik Hamid on The Glen Beck Show) Secularist-Islamics have a real up hill battle ahead of them, even attempting to comunicate with so called main-stream American muslims.  Ahmed Bedier had said “people who don’t truly love Islam have no business hosting a summit on it.” I told him “people who truly love Islam arn’t exactly objective to what is wrong with it. Saying and believing Islam is a religion of peace does not make it so”

Posted: 21 March 2007 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2006-09-08

We just have to be patient, it is really a Muslim issue that has to be resolved by them. It will take hundreds of years to change, just like Christianity and the Protestant reform. We just have to make sure they don’t destroy the Western societies on the meantime.

Posted: 23 March 2007 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-20

[quote author=“OhioDoc”]We just have to be patient, it is really a Muslim issue that has to be resolved by them. It will take hundreds of years to change, just like Christianity and the Protestant reform. We just have to make sure they don’t destroy the Western societies on the meantime.

When it comes to reform it was predicted a century ago religion (in the west) would be gone by now. The more main stream society has lessoned the role god plays on their lives the more the, apparently growing, christian radical fringe fights to push it’s religion on us.
Is it being stereotypical of me to think of main stream muslims as zealot in their literalist belief in the quaran as the christian fringe are with their bible?