Learning CFI Forum
Posted: 22 March 2007 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-05-30

Information sought for using the CFI Forum. Where can one find the info for learning how to use this Forum?
Questions:
To whom is one E-Mailing?
Can E-Mails be restricted to a particular group?
How long can a post be?
Who is permitted to post?
How long can a post be listed?
How are administrators contacted?
is there any printed material for learning the use of the Forum?, etc.

Posted: 22 March 2007 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14

Re: Learning CFI Forum

[quote author=“pmtaylors”]Where can one find the info for learning how to use this Forum?

Well, it looks like you already have a pretty good idea ... a forum like this is a place to post things, as you have done. If you want to learn how to do BBCode (formatting for messages) see HERE .

[quote author=“pmtaylors”]To whom is one E-Mailing?

You aren’t emailing anyone, unless you click on a person’s name and then click on the “email” button. Then you would be sending that person email. You can also send someone a private message (PM) by pressing the “PM” button.

[quote author=“pmtaylors”]Can E-Mails be restricted to a particular group?

I don’t believe that one can send out group emails through the forum, although that might be possible with the new forum software that CFI is going to install soon.

[quote author=“pmtaylors”]How long can a post be?

Not sure if there is a length limit, but I would bear in mind that it is very hard to read long posts on a computer screen. Best to keep them relatively short and to the point.

[quote author=“pmtaylors”]Who is permitted to post?

Anyone who is a member.

[quote author=“pmtaylors”]How long can a post be listed?

Potentially forever. If you want to delete your own post, you can, by clicking on the “X” button in the upper right hand corner of your post.

[quote author=“pmtaylors”]How are administrators contacted?

I am one, you can contact me through my username. Thomas is another admin, as is DebGod (Debbie Goddard), as is DJ Grothe. All can be contacted through their user names.

[quote author=“pmtaylors”]is there any printed material for learning the use of the Forum?, etc.

Not that I know of.

[ Edited: 15 July 2008 06:28 AM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 July 2008 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-05-30

1) Your reply confirms what I suspected: It is a slow process to learn to use this Forum. Surely there is a process of learning other than experiencing through trial and error. PM means Private message. Where can I find the meaning of other symbols?
2) Yes, I asked similar questions earlier. I still do not have the answers.
3) I don’t know what BBCode is? Do I need to know? Should I know? What is a formatted message?
4) The question, “Can E-mails be restricted to a particular group?” was to find out if my postings could be directed to members of the CFI Community of which I am a member. If I wish to post to my Community, how can I do that? Is that possible?
5) Any member can post a message. What is a member? member of CFI? member of a Community? member of CFI Forum/ member of a Community Forum?
6) I think that I am posting to Doug. To whom else am I posting? My CFI Community? Other than Doug, who would know That I posted anything?
7) OK. There are no printed materials available for use. Are there any “postings” on this CFI Forum that explain said Forum?
8) How can I post something such that my CFI Community knows that it has been posted? Can I post a message to a CFI Community bulletin board to which our members and potential members may go?
9) I do not know what a fast reply is. Nor “guided” __ or “Normal” ___
10) What is the function of the CFI Forum? For whom does it serve? Is the Forum a chat room for members of a Community to do point and counter point talk? If so, how can the chats be narrowed efficiently so our Community members can chat without searching everywhere?
11) As is obvious, I do not know enough yet to introduce the CFI Forum to our Community members to become members of the CFI Forum. Perhaps someday. I will look around on the sight for some answers. I don’t want you to have to tutor me all the way along. This is why I would like some printed material. Perhaps I will have to write my own. I would do that before introducing the CFI Forum to our Community members.
12) I would like to use smileys, but I couldn’t get that done either.