4 of 4
Quantum Physics
Posted: 21 April 2007 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2007-02-17

[quote author=“George”]I read the following in New Scientist:

Things get much worse when quantum theory is applied to the entire universe. If the universe is as real as we believe, then it must have been cast into that state by an observer able to view it all. Yet since the universe includes everything, there can be no external observer.

Not sure what to think of it. I though QT applies only to subatomic particles. But then, the whole universe is indeed made up of these very particles.

And if our universe is real (whatever that means), who is observing us…?

Actually if you pick up on of Brian Greene’s books he discusses the higgs field, which is suppose to permeate the entire universe, this field may be the “observer” that we interact with at the quantum level that is doing the “observing”.  Make sense? No?  Read the book LOL

Signature 

http://www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com

Posted: 22 April 2007 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

One of the problems with the observer theory is that all of our experience depends on our observations.  It’s pretty hard be able to know something occurred without some sort of observation (even if second, third or fourth hand). 

And, I didn’t understand the reference to the music you listen to, Brennen?

Occam

Posted: 22 April 2007 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Occam,

Sorry, just a tongue-in-cheek response to George:

We are not only overdue for a pandemic, but also for the new Darwin/Einstein…and the music sucks too these days…

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

4 of 4

‹‹ Is absolute truth possible?      Necessity ››