What do you do?
Posted: 22 March 2007 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19

I’m just wondering what most of my fellow atheists do for a living. I’m about to graduate from college with a Bachelor’s in English, and I’m looking into a number of fields. While investigating, I began to think about all of the people on this forum and what they do from day-to-day.

So what do you do for a living?

Posted: 22 March 2007 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

deleted by the author

Posted: 22 March 2007 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Well, currently I’m working on a second degree.  I’m wanting to get out of the Psychology field, because I have discovered I enjoyed studying the subject, but I do not enjoy working with the mentally ill.  Oh the people are fine, but there are some very sad cases and I empathize too much with people to stay in the field. You get burnt out after a while.

So, now I hope to be a writer and the meantime I’m taking classes at a local uni to hone my writing skills.  I enjoy writing Star Trek and have a fanfic site, but I also like to write non-fiction too.  I’ve been considering lately trying to figure out something to submit to Humanist News Network or even The Humanist magazine, so currently I’m pondering what will be of interest to them and then send a query letter to them.  I’ve looked into The Humanist submitting process and I can do it, if I can figure out what they would be interested in having.  I don’t want to be redundant either, then they might not consider it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 March 2007 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

I’ve had just about every job from factory to food service to clerical. Even did a fishing boat in Alaska once. Spent way too many years in school getting degrees in English Lit, General Biology, Primate Behavior, and finally Veterinary Medicine. Currently I’m a small animal veterinarian, and my wife says I don’t get to change my mind or go to school anymore. grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 23 March 2007 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2006-04-10

Software Developer

Posted: 23 March 2007 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-03-23

teacher

Signature 

"There’s nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear." - Daniel Dennett

Posted: 23 March 2007 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

Dentist

Posted: 30 March 2007 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

Back from Retirement Lawyer.
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 08 April 2007 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Retired polymer chemist.  Although, when someone pompous asked me that after I had given a presentation at a UU Area Council, I said “Paint Salesman.” 

He said, “Oh, really” and I could see his opinion of me go way down. 

I then said, “However, an artist could be called a paint salesman.”

“Oh, you were so organized and made an excellent presentation.  I would not have expected that of an artist.”

“I didn’t say I was an artist, only that I could be an artist.”

“Oh, then what ARE you?”

“Hungry,” then I walked away and over to the refreshment table.

Occam

Posted: 08 April 2007 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-04-08

What do you do?

I work in a community mental health center as a child case manager. My job is to build skills (anger mgmt, coping, decision making skills) with the child and parents to prevent out of home placement.  Not a good paying job but it is sometimes rewarding.

Posted: 08 April 2007 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-08

I work in a community mental health center as a child case manager. My job is to build skills (anger mgmt, coping, decision making skills) with the child and parents to prevent out of home placement.  Not a good paying job but it is sometimes rewarding.

Posted: 14 August 2007 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-08-06

Good question. I used to work for SEVEN years in a supermarket. A little too long if you consider I’m only 27 years old. Why I didn’t do something better with my life ? First of all my life is not over yet, I’m just really starting to live now. Second it is a long story and one day I would like to include it in my biography but for now I need to copyright it.
Right now I just got lucky. Met a great guy and I work with him in his computer repair service company in New York. In two months of time I learned marketing, webdesign and how to live with another human being.  A lot been accomplished.

Posted: 15 August 2007 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  195
Joined  2007-07-24

I’m a math grad student.

Posted: 15 August 2007 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-08

Hi Jaik,

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation.

I graduated from University of Tennessee with a degree in Social Work and a minor in Business. After graduation I began working with our Dept of Children’s Services at a Level 3 secure Youth Development Center (aka juvenile prison) with kids who had been committed to state custody for felony conviction. My title was Classification Case Manager which classified them according to their committing offenses and after evaluation of their needs recommended an appropriate treatment program. As you can imagine, the money was not good but then social workers don’t get into the field for the money.

After about five years I changed jobs and began working at a Community Mental Healh Center working with children ages 5 to 18 all having a diagnosed mental illness such as ADHD, Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and others. I’m considered an intensive case manager meaning that I visit the child in the home and his/her school at least twice weekly, devleoping a treatment plan with their parents and hopefully improving their daily functioning such as social skills, academic commitment, parenting skills, etc, some informal individual therapy is attempted although since I have a four year degree I’m not really qualified for this;  usually takes a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with a Masters for therapy.

Our clients come from low income families who qualify for Tenncare, our state’s medicare program which covers all children based upon income.

I’d like to teach but I don’t like the idea of having such a rigid routine every day. My schedule permits lots of flexibility and quite a bit of traveling around the county.

I hope this helps,  good luck.

David

Posted: 15 August 2007 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

corporate stooge

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 15 August 2007 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-01-13

I’m a nurse.

Or put another way: I’m permanently tired, under paid, stressed, abused by management, spat on, assaulted and always cheerful.

But on a positive note, 90% of my colleagues are attractive young women who dress in nurse’s uniform!

Signature 

There are 10 types of people in the world.

Those who understand binary numbers and those who do not.