Nica Lalli Nothing, Something to Believe In
Posted: 02 April 2007 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-03-23

I loved this interview and feel she sums up exactly what I am too. I love how when DJ challenged her on her credentials that she said "I’m a human being who thinks." Congratulations on another fantastic discussion! This is the perfect epsiode for me to become a little evangelical about smile

Signature 

"There’s nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear." - Daniel Dennett

Posted: 04 April 2007 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-04-02

Slightly dissapointed…

I got the impression that she felt that learning about science was something not very worthwhile when she stated that she was just too busy to learn about the way the universe works.  It just seemed that she felt that it was just too trivial of a topic for her to spend any tme on.  She is entitled to that opinion of course and I did agree with almost everything else she said.  It was, in my opinion, a sad statement.  Especially when it is obvious that she has spent considerable time thinking about it.

Posted: 05 April 2007 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2006-11-24

Sad? I didn’t feel that way. People have different interests. Take cars: some can’t care less what’s under the hood and just want to drive, others…
Sadder is when people run with their pseudo explanations and try foisting them onto others, especially children.

Posted: 25 April 2007 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2006-10-09

Pragamtic Atheist

Around minute 24:30 she says she’s busy and doesn’t need everything answered.  Even people who search for the answers never find them with certainty.  In the end, couldn’t we argue that Nica is an atheist by faith or by Plantinga basic belief? 

For Nica it is true that God doesn’t exist and she doesn’t care about figuring our why.  She just believes it as true…for her it is a basic belief.

Posted: 25 April 2007 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

It was a good episode and she made some good points, but I have already forgotten what they were.  At the time, though, I thought they were good and made one think.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 April 2007 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-02-21

Re: Pragamtic Atheist

[quote author=“equinox”]In the end, couldn’t we argue that Nica is an atheist by faith or by Plantinga basic belief? 

It was few weeks back that I heard this episode but I got the opposite opinion.

I think she said that she didn’t bother calling herself an atheist anymore.

I am of a similar opinion which is probably why I tuned into the message I wanted to hear.

I don’t believe that there are fairies living my garden but this does not infer that I have a faith in nonpixieism. I just don’t believe in pixies.

Signature 

Seeking truth is a never ending search for possibilities.
Finding truth is an end to that search.