Surveying my religion - WHY??  Advice please.
Posted: 03 April 2007 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-02

First of all, complements to the creators of this website and its moderators.

Here’s my problem.
I live in the UK and work in a UK University, the Charter of which would describe it as a secular institution.

The University legal adviser has said all staff are to complete a religious faith monitoring form.  I queried her on this and she said it was a legal requirement of Government. 

OK, leave asde the idiocy and the irony of the staff of a secular University having their Faith monitored.  How should I respond?  I could say none, although to poke fun at the stupidity of it all I’m tempted to say Jedi as in the UK census (see the details at:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon).  Or do I just say

’ I object to answering this question’?

Posted: 03 April 2007 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-02

Surveying my religion - WHY??  Advice please.

First of all, complements to the creators of this website and its moderators.

Here’s my problem.
I live in the UK and work in a UK University, the Charter of which would describe it as a secular institution.

The University legal adviser has said all staff are to complete a religious faith monitoring form.  I queried her on this and she said it was a legal requirement of Government. 

OK, leave asde the idiocy and the irony of the staff of a secular University having their Faith monitored.  How should I respond?  I could say none, although to poke fun at the stupidity of it all I’m tempted to say Jedi as in the UK census (see the details at http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon).  Or do I just say

’ I object to answering this question’?

Posted: 03 April 2007 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I suggest you request the name, number and identification of particular law that that requires this.  You may find that she’s merely using this statement as a way of coercing you even though there’s no such law.  If there is, get a copy and read it carefully.  You’ll probably find that it’s not nearly as demanding as her interpretation of it is.  This will give your objection much more strength.

Let us know the results.

Occam

Posted: 03 April 2007 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

I recommend being honest. If you are an atheist, put atheist. Hiding this fact only hurts non-religious people. We should be trying to make our status known, not hide it.

What are they going to do about? Nothing I am sure. If they kicked all of the non-religious people our of universities, especially in the UK, they would have very few instructors left!

I don’t think its silly anyway.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 03 April 2007 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-02

[quote author=“cgallaga”]Well

A. what are the questions?

B. Is this a blind survey or are participants names known?

C. What is the purpose?

From what you said so far it could be harmless census type stuff, maybe a requirement for state funded education systems. If that is so then I don’t see a complaint/problem.

===========================
A- I don’t know yet, but we are told it’s coming

B- It is supposedly anonymous

C- That’s what I can’t answer - the legal adviser merely says ’ we are required to do it’

It could well be harmless, but it’s the sorts of pointless beauracracy that seems to infest education in the UK.  Suppose it could be a great thing if we had a resounding majority who say ‘NONE’.  Thanks though for all the comments.

Posted: 03 April 2007 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Well there are a lot of restrictions put on society by government. I have to fill out an employment survey and a property survey every 3 months because I have a business. Not only do I have to do it under threat of legal action (fines, imprisonment and what not) I also have to pay the postage! Harumph!

But this might be exactly the kind of data that we keep seeing in our discussions here and in places like the Beyond Belief conference. If this is just data collected to understand human belief, you should be proud to help que no?

And if it is annon then you can put Jedi if that makes you happy and the survey tabulators will know of at least one individual who objects to the questions.

I have often participated in Zogby surveys and when I find a question I don’t like I write in. For that particular survey I believe they count it as a nil answer, but I have seen subsequent surveys change to accommodate some write ins and so can suspect that someone reads them and thinks about them.

Usually people doing surveys just want to learn something. I doubt there is a nefarious purpose here, or that you have anything to fear. Your legal advisor may just be a curmudgeon who can’t be arsed. wink