3 of 3
Belief in the resurrection?
Posted: 11 April 2007 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-10-12

You have good points.

[quote author=“mckenzievmd”] You still haven’t answered the question. Why is a grand purpose or meaning necessary? You can’t be suggesting that without one, acts of compassion aren’t possible, can you? And if you are suggesting that denying the idea of a grand purpose is complicity with religion, you are mistaken. In fact, denying the very need for a myth that places human beings qualitatively out of and above the ordinary existence of everything else, is exactly the sort of alternative to religion you claim to want to offer.

I am not suggesting that acts of compassion are not possible but I am saying that without offering an alternative to the religious dogmas of today is not compassionate. Complacency perpetuates the myths by not challenging the legitimacy. Your rejection of religion or some purpose for humanity is a cop out for lack of a better word. “I don’t have an answer so why think I should.” Huh? You seem to have a deep understanding of “Your” reality but how does that help other? Oh’ right, by staying out of their way, I imagine”

[quote author=“mckenzievmd”]You seem to be offering a replacement mythology that give humans some extraordinary significance that I don’t think we have or need and just leaves out the God part. Offering an alternative that is the same kind of false hope for importance beyond reality that religion offers is not compassion.

I don’t believe that the natural ability for humanity as a group to bring the universe into the realm of the known is a myth. It is not an alternative it is a truth. Struggle to exist in a harsh environment is not meant to be compassionate as is the natural ability to be aware of existing in this harsh environment but a world with no purpose or the suggestion of some form of an afterlife filled with wonder is? Sorry, I am not buying it. I want to release humanity’s dependence on both the need for heaven as well as your attempt to place existence as a part of some random chaos with no order or purpose.

Signature 

Cosmic Cave

Posted: 11 April 2007 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-10-12

Purpose is necessary for the overall health of any being be it the environment of the universe or family life. In order for a healthy existence a purpose to continue gives all things great and small life. The universe is a natural thing that can always become and humanity is one of the things that can develop within the universe. With humanity and like beings the universe becomes known to exist and without humanity or like beings the universe would not be known to exist. This relationship between the universe and humanity and like beings is the highest form that can develop within the environment of the universe. All things within the universe are moving towards this event or returning from this event. Fortunately, for us, we are now in this event.

Signature 

Cosmic Cave

Posted: 15 April 2007 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-03-11

[quote author=“Entity”]The destiny of humanity deals with the why and how humanity should look at its purpose for being.

You may call it destiny, you may call it what you want but I call it evolution by natural selection with its antecedant history being the properties of self-replicating molecules made possible by the big bang and the cosmological constants that ensued.

Even if one does not believe that there is a purpose for humanity there is an innate driving force that perpetuates its continuation throughout time.

That same “force” perpetuates the continuation of virii, bacteria, blue/green algae and mosses, salamanders, humans, bovines, maple tree’s, bromeliads, etc…..it’s called the success strategy of genes being able to replicate themselves due to random mutation. It is so simple and natural yet so fascinating (don’t forget that 99% of all life in the history of Earth has went extinct).

Like all religious beliefs, I too believe there is a reason for humanity’s existence however; I also believe most religions have false understandings of humanity’s purpose.

I believe all religions are based on anthropocentric misunderstandings of teleology, but with all due respect, why do you think you have a/the correct understanding?

The universe exists so it can become known and humanity is the knowing agent.

Objection! This is more anthropocentrism. The universe existed for about 13.5 billion yrs. before human consciousness even evolved to realize or question its place in the universe. It was here before us and will, more than likely I suppose, be here long after us or any other rational conscious beings. There are still a great many things not known about this universe or the Earth, climate change, bacteria, the moon, galaxies, other planets or if life only emerged once or how abundant it may be in the universe. It is a universe not made for us and I can only speculate that life is abundant throughout galaxies, hence the universe.

This event is the highest final form within the structure of the universe.

That’s a matter of opinion I suppose.

All other actions within the universe are either moving towards this event, coming from this event, or stuck in a non-motion towards this event.

Well said, sort of. It pretty much covers all your bases ie.: kind of like predicting rain…“it will rain or it will not rain or it may rain tomorrow”.

It is either true that humanity is the only living knowing entity that can communicate its awareness of Being or there exist others throughout the universe.

I think I know what you mean but the chosen syntax is a bit misconstrued, or at least lengthy, for the proposition. It is an inexorable, immutable and incorrigible dichotomy (now that’s lengthy). Kind of like saying it either will or will not rain tomorrow.

Imagine Humanity’s responsibility to the universe if Earth’s environment is the only place capable of sustaining living knowing entities.

I’m trying to but I’m gettin’ nothing. What responsibility? What do you suggest I, you, or anyone else do with the universe?

With Humanity’s demise comes the end of the known universe.

Like I mentioned earlier, the universe was here before us and it will be here after us unless it is the entity that destroys us, big crunch and what not. Albeit plant and animal life, hence reproduction, will still be influenced by the physical laws and influences of our moon; for ex.: moth’s migrating at night by keeping their left eye to the moon, corals cyclic spawning during the phase of a full moon, fiddler crabs and mudskippers taking advantage or low tides etc. So, to that extent, the influence of “astrophysics” will be “known” without humans. Just sayin’.

I believe, Humanity’s purpose must be reestablished in harmony with its true destiny, which is its enduring awareness of being.

That sounds like word salad to me but everyone is entitled to their opinions, likewise you, me and anyone else.

Although we disagree I have tried to disagree respectfully. I believe your position is very anthropocentric in the sense that you feel humans and/or human-like conciousness is the measure of all things. It seems similar to the old question of, “If a tree falls in the forrest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?”.

3 of 3