Two Locked Threads
Posted: 14 April 2007 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2003-09-24

Center for Inquiry turning to the Right? - http://www.cfi-forums.org/viewtopic.php?t=1767

Seems like the moderators are not very moderate here.  This is the second locked thread so far, and like the first, threads in which dissent against the opinions or actions of CFI are at issue.  I find this very interesting for a "freethought" organisation.

And to Occam from second locked post… Maybe Meatball is just very acute and smart!

[ Edited: 19 May 2007 01:06 PM by Thomas Donnelly ]
 Signature 

Barry F. Seidman
Exec. Producer of Equal Time for Freethought

Posted: 14 April 2007 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-01-21

My bet is that the thread was locked not because the topic shouldnt be discussed, but because the topic was in fact no longer being discussed. They probably thought it was getting off-topic, and leading into personal discussions and ad hominems.

Whether CFI is turning to the right is an interesting question that should be asked. If you want to discuss that topic, start a new thread on it. But I think the mods would want you to stay on topic and avoid personal attacks of those who disagree with you politically.

Cheers!

Signature 

Thomas Donnelly
Center for Inquiry?
716-636-7571 ext 420
tdonnelly (at) centerforinquiry.net
http://www.centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 15 April 2007 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

meatball, you’ve already been flagged a couple of times in your short time here for hijacking threads with personal accusations. If this persists you will be booted. You can also expect that off-topic posts may be deleted.

Thomas is right that the general topic of CFI’s politics is open for discussion on this forum. However, new threads should not simply involve re-hashings of the same points we have already heard over and over again, but should say something new, and should not degenerate into name calling. Or they will be locked, edited or deleted.

Thanks.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 April 2007 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Am I the only one who feels the level of civility and maturity to the discussions here has dropped off noticeably in the last month? Granted I’ve only been here a short while, but when I started participating I was impressed by the lack of all the angry name calling and polemical inflammatory postings, with a couple of exceptions. Lately, it’s hard to have an honest disagreement without ad hominem attacks, self-righteous certainty, and irrelevant personal sniping. Don’t people think the boards are much more interesting and productive if we argue with a reasonable degree of politeness and humility, and avoid all the indignation and angry rhetoric?

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 15 April 2007 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

The warnings were from Thomas and myself, in the prior locked thread. This is the second thread you have attempted to hijack.

If you wish to play by the rules, we will be happy to have you continue here. But not with present behavior.

Thanks.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 15 April 2007 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I must agree with Brennen.  I believe I joined only a few days before he did and was impressed with the level of discourse (although worn out by the length of some of the posts) however, a few of the members have wasted everyone’s time with diatribes, accusations and criticisms.  I worry that they may have changed the atmosphere of the forum to the point that some good posters may have become discouraged and left.

While we may be secular we should not reject everything the churches do - for instance, excommunication.  smile

Occam

Posted: 15 April 2007 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

I’ve only been here a short while too, but I see no problems with the moderation of the forum. What I do see a problem with is the rehashing of old stuff that should be long since dead, esp since it doesn’t contribute much except to stir up old disputes.  Free inquiry and/or an open society doesn’t necessarily mean everything can be debated/discussed on open forum, esp when they have been brought up so many times before and start to become like the perverbal phrase, “Beating a dead horse” and I think this topic is one of them. There is also a difference between disputes and debate.

I seriously think it’s time to move on to something else, like maybe current events that plague us now and how we could help solve them so future generations don’t have to deal with them, in which case these issues could be worse by that time. That to me seems more humanistic than rehashing old stuff that does nothing to contribute much of anything.  Even to discuss how others have contributed to society would be more benficial, IMO, than this.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 April 2007 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

Meatball,
I’ve reviewed your participation in the forum. I must say that 41 posts in three days is serious participation. Your posts are well written and in those areas (Alternative Medicine and Science and Technology are 2) in which you demonstrate knowledge and interest they contribute to the thread in a positive way.

However you also jumped into a thread and chose sides against a moderator without any knowledge of the history of that thread or its antecedents. For the life of me i can’t understand why you would choose to do that. It was extremely unwise. Whether you will be permitted to continue in the forum making contributions to its discussions now depends on your staying out of any disputes that don’t involve you. Threads that you join for reasons other than joining an ongoing dispute sometimes deteriorate and disputes start but we try not to permit that to happen.
Understand this is not a forum for arguments that are off topic.

Doug, has moderated our forum since it began and his contributions are immeasurable. Have no doubt about that or his considerable talents. We don’t.

That said it appears you have considerable talents too so welcome to the forum - Have a great time here.
Jim smile

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 16 April 2007 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“meatball”]please delete my account. I’m sickened by what I see here. excommunication is the order of the day. it leads to free thought.

thank you and sorry to those I am in discussion with.

OK. Deleted as per user request.

Signature 

Doug