Forum Behavior and the Future
Posted: 16 April 2007 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15405
Joined  2006-02-14

Regarding recent behavior of some forum members, and Mod/Admin response:  for the record, at least two Moderators or Admins are required to ban an existing member. The procedure of touching base and hashing through the issues may take time, so it may not happen immediately in any given case.

We will not necessarily be updating our ban list publicly going forward, however since I am sure that this will be posted about, Jim and I, the two existing Moderators of this Forum, have mutually decided to ban Barry. This was due to his ongoing and persistent disruptive and harassing behavior of Forum members, Moderators, Admins and CFI employees.

We were willing to bend over backwards for him, however our tolerance has his limits. Going forward we will be keeping a much tighter ship, which should make for a more pleasant and reasoned atmosphere for mutual inquiry into the sorts of topics that we all find so interesting.

We will also be expecting new Forum software and capabilities in the near future, which should enable all sorts of interesting functionality with other parts of the CFI website. So we have a lot to look forward to!

Thanks to all for your consideration and ongoing civility.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 April 2007 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

A suggestion to you that I mentioned before to DJ.

In most other places Moderators, especially those who are active as participants as well, usually reserve a color of text (like red) for moderator action. and try to keep that action totally separate from a discussion post. By that I mean if a moderator is having a discussion they would not also warn someone in the same post.

Warning and discussion should be separate and clear.

Posted: 16 April 2007 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15405
Joined  2006-02-14

That is a good idea, Chris. It might be possible to get new functionality of some sort in the new software as well.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 April 2007 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7597
Joined  2007-03-02

Some forum software does have that feature and think keeping warnings separate from board discussion is a good idea.  Not only that, it could help with keeping flames off the board too, IF the person being warned is understanding enough to do so and willing to work things out that way.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 April 2007 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree that it’s an excellent idea.  However, you might have to block that particular color from the regular posters.  Since Doug chose blue, if I was annoyed by someone I could always post “Hey, jerk.  Where the hell do you get off posting stupidity like that?”  :D

Of course, that would justify a warning, but it would already have been done.  :wink:

Occam