Why a person might create two accounts
Posted: 26 April 2007 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-03-15

Often to be a troll perhaps…

But why did [i:abcd769536]I[/i:abcd769536] create two accounts? 

I doubt many of you want to discuss this at much length, but you may have some questions.  Doug felt I should say a few words to clear up any confusion.  I put this in the philosophy forum because I think I have some psychological/philosophical things to discuss in regards to the subject.

I’ve been reading Kierkegaard and I like how he created and published a bunch of books authored by different pseudonyms with contrasting views, in opposition to each other.  When his earliest books came about, his readers didnt know who the real author was. 

By establishing my remit account, I eventually planned on pitting my darker self VS. my lighter self in order to highlight ideological conflicts that I may not be able to provoke on my own.  And also, I think part of the reason I created the remit account was to feel free to relax behind a pseudonym and not feel the anxiety of associating myself with ideas that I might not be so confident in.  I planned on blatantly presenting some pretty extreme views from remit, one’s that I myself would never support.

Anyways, sorry for any confusion.

Posted: 26 April 2007 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-15

Why a person might create two accounts

Often to be a troll perhaps…

But why did I create two accounts? 

I doubt many of you want to discuss this at much length, but you may have some questions.  Doug felt I should say a few words to clear up any confusion.  I put this in the philosophy forum because I think I have some psychological/philosophical things to discuss in regards to the subject.

I’ve been reading Kierkegaard and I like how he created and published a bunch of books authored by different pseudonyms with contrasting views, in opposition to each other.  When his earliest books came about, his readers didnt know who the real author was. 

By establishing my remit account, I eventually planned on pitting my darker self VS. my lighter self in order to highlight ideological conflicts that I may not be able to provoke on my own.  And also, I think part of the reason I created the remit account was to feel free to relax behind a pseudonym and not feel the anxiety of associating myself with ideas that I might not be so confident in.  I planned on blatantly presenting some pretty extreme views from remit, one’s that I myself would never support.

Anyways, sorry for any confusion.

Posted: 26 April 2007 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

And I’ll add there is no discernable difference from what you did and what a troll/sock puppet would do. The only difference is your claim to a higher purpose.  :wink:

Posted: 26 April 2007 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Other than a troll persona, the only reason I see is schizophrenia.  LOL

And, don’t take Kierkegaard as a role model.  While I’m sure Doug, as a professional, wouldn’t agree, I think Kierkegaard was a nut.

Occam

Posted: 26 April 2007 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

[quote author=“Occam”]Other than a troll persona, the only reason I see is schizophrenia.  LOL
Occam

Don’t you mean MPD?  Multiple Personality Disorder.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 April 2007 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-15

[quote author=“occam”]
Other than a troll persona, the only reason I see is schizophrenia.  LOL

[quote author=“Mriana”]
Don’t you mean MPD? Multiple Personality Disorder.
LOL

Occam and Mriana, what is it that you find funny about mental illness?

Posted: 27 April 2007 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

deleted by the author

Posted: 27 April 2007 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Let’s remember that Multiple Personality Disorder is probably a fiction.

See the papers from Skeptical Inquirer listed under this search , in particular THIS one.

Also see HERE .

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 April 2007 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

deleted by the author

Posted: 27 April 2007 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m sorry you took offense to what I said, Cory and George, but it was just a joke and MPD is not a life threating illness (if it really exists).  I have a psych degree and the illness is questionable as to it’s reality.  Bleeding ulcers are not fiction and there is no question about them, esp when they become lifethreatening.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 April 2007 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-15

I was just looking for a way to yank yer chain LOL

- in retaliation, of course.

Laughter means: malice with a good conscience.
-Nietzsche

:wink:

Posted: 27 April 2007 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

George, I see that you’ve have a humorectomy.  It was apparent that you didn’t get that Cory was probably being snide rather than posting a real concern.  I was the first to mention a psychological diagnosis, and what I was really saying was that going for multiple personas on the board is done either to use one as an attack or else is just dumb (in my opinion). 

I suggest you spend quite a bit of time learning how to recognize and avoid critical thinking errors such as the one you used. 

An example of this is the very old joke (1950s).  A reporter is being shown the beautiful subway stations with wonderful wall paintings by his guide in Moscow.  After seeing a number of stations, he says, “The stations are all beautiful, but where are the people and subway trains?”

The guide snaps back, “Well, what about the lynchings in your south?”

Occam

Posted: 27 April 2007 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

deleted by the author

Posted: 27 April 2007 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I accept your apology, George.  You’re not unintelligent, but you are human and don’t always think, before speaking. This is not lack of intelligence though, it’s just a human frailty.  We’ve all done similar things at least once in our lives- if not more.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 28 April 2007 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Hey George, no need to delete everything. You’re a valuable contributor to the forum, and really no worries. Let’s have the name “George” back again.

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 28 April 2007 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I second what Doug said, George.

Signature 

Mriana

‹‹ Blackbody radiation      Truth ››