1 of 2
Another atheist gets attacked…
Posted: 08 May 2007 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/135/story/58743.html

These cases should be prosecuted as hate crimes, but it seems that they are never pursued as such.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 08 May 2007 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, in a way he asked for it, didn’t he? Have you ever seen Hombre with Paul Newman?: If you don’t feel like fighting, don’t get involved.

Posted: 08 May 2007 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

In the U.S., according to the First Amendment, we have freedom of speech.  That doesn’t include the right to assualt and rob those who speak out with different opinions than yours.  By the logic of “Well, he asked for it, didn’t he?” we could justify a group of Democrats beating and robbing a person who has a Bush sticker on his/her car, or a group of atheists beating and robbing someone who has a Christian symbol on his/her car.

We could also accept a group of Jews waiting outside a church and shooting the Christians as they came out of it because, because, “If they didn’t feel like fighting, they shouldn’t have gotten involved.”

Although I’m not too sanguine about the objectivity of Myrtle Beach juries, if the attackers are caught, they will be tried and most likely convicted and sent to prison for breaking a number of laws.  That would indicate that he had the right to have the sticker on his car and that they did not have the right to assault and rob him.

Occam

Posted: 08 May 2007 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-04-29

The notion that thuggery is an acceptable response if someone says something (or puts a sticker on their car or a cartoon in a newspaper) that offends you has no place in a society of adults. Hopefully, these particular thugs will be locked away for a while once they are found.

George

Signature 

George Ricker
http://www.godlessinamerica.com

“Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them.” Godless in America: conversations with an atheist

Posted: 08 May 2007 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Of course they had no right to assault him and rob him. I wasn’t trying to justify their actions. But I can imagine driving through a gay parade in my car displaying a “I hate gays” sticker.

[quote author=“Occam”]In the U.S., according to the First Amendment, we have freedom of speech.  That doesn’t include the right to assault and rob those who speak out with different opinions than yours.

So? In the U.N. we have an agreement not to attack countries that are no danger to us. And there are many more so-called rights, amendments, laws, etc. And I ask what is the law? Questio quid iuris? :D

Posted: 08 May 2007 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Given the details of the story, one could reasonably assume he was no more attacked and robbed for being an atheist as being anything else. Obviously hoodlums were out looking for trouble and they found him. The rest is likely pretence.

Posted: 08 May 2007 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

Regardless if it was a hate crime or not, there was no excuse for assauling the man.  Either way, the courts should do something about it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 08 May 2007 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

Well clearly a crime has been committed. So once the police have captured any alleged criminals involved, as well as any evidence, and given evidence to the prosecutor, and the prosecutor has begun a case, then yes the courts should function to find judgement within the confines of the established laws of the people.

Posted: 12 May 2007 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Well… I have had Christians threaten to beat me up before.

I told them to go ahead and try, and that I’d sue them later. :D

Anyway, as for the hate crimes thing, I don’t exactly believe in hate crimes… I may not have the freedom to commit crimes like this, but I should have the freedom to hate whoever I want with reason. The motives, while fascinating, oughtn’t determine how bad a crime is.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 12 May 2007 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

You know, threatening to beat someone up is really childish.  Why does it seem like those who discriminate are childish in their behaviour.  Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 May 2007 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

It’s just a matter of imbalance, Mriana — Way too much testosterone and way too little neural capability.

They were probably also brought up in a violent environment where they were physically abused as children, and because of their inferiority they feel inadequate and angry.

Occam

Posted: 13 May 2007 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

Hey! Enough with the adhom’s will ya?!?! My therapist says thats all behind me.

Posted: 13 May 2007 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Well, I’m dealing with one else where who has this idea that we know nothing about the Bible and need to be SAVED!  rolleyes  It would appear she doesn’t know her Bible as she claims, yet she keeps telling me to read it.  (You know, atheists have never even looked at the Bible mentality) I’m sorry, I think I’m doing pretty damn good for following Robert Price, Spong, Karen Armstrong, and alike. The woman didn’t seem to know that the OT was originally in Hebrew. Tried to tell me it was in aramaic.  ROFLMBO!  I think CSER says it all concerning Humanists and the Bible.

She tried to say Jesus was pure and when I pointed out to her his geneology had 4 women of ill-repute (Tamar, Ruth, Rahab, and Bathsheba) and therefore makes Mary’s pregnancy questionable, she said, “See, that just shows people need a saviour.”  rolleyes  She also thinks she knows what is on my conscious, that it’s God talking to me, therefore I need to repent for my sins and give my life to the Lord. RIGHT!  And I’m Mrs. Santa Claus.  Needless to say, she truly believes I’m wrong about the Bible being up there with Jackie Collins with all it’s sex, rape, incest, violence, murder, adultry…  Oh one thing Collins has not written about as far as I know is child abuse, which is in the Bible.  I’m sure she will have some weird rebuttle about the so called family values in the Bible.  rolleyes  Either that, or she’ll attempt that stupid guilt crap again, insisting she is right and I’m wrong. Whatever.  No, I haven’t told her to shove it up her BLEEP, yet. I’ve been nice about telling her where she is folly.

Where do these fundies get these ideas?  Why do they try to pound them into others with violence- either verbal or physical? BTW, my “god” of love, compassion, and reason does not exist. Obviously not in her world if she is going around acting like she does.  I still say her supernatural deity does not exist and silently adding without posting it she’s full of it.  (You can fill in the it.)

Are there varying levels of insanity among these people?  The violently insane and the mentally insane?  Of course, there isn’t much difference between the two.

She came on that blog attacking everyone.  Of course, I became her target when I said something to her.  Now everyone has left that thread and she’s still being a gutton for punishment with me.  Yet, she seems to feel threaten by me because I’ve challenged her beliefs.  I finally told her that this debate has now become circular, after she start yelling for people to read the Bible for it is truth or something like that.  Therefore, it is time to let the people decide who has more knowledge on the subject. Then I left her with this thought from C. S. Lewis’s book “Surprised by Joy”:

“You can have enlightenment for nine pence, but you prefer ignorance.” ~ W.T. Kilpatrick AKA “Old Knock”- Secular Humanist.

I’m so cruel.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 13 May 2007 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Two of my favorite bible stories are when angels came to Sodom and the crowd wanted them to come out of the house so they could have sex with them, and their host offered the crowd his daughters instead of the angels.  and the other, was after the city was destroyed and Lot and his daughters were living in a cave his daughters got him drunk so they could have sex with him. 

I wonder why they don’t make a bible movie about those?

Occam

Posted: 14 May 2007 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I like the Good Sumaritan story because he did what he did from his heart without any regard to reward or punishment.  He did not help the man for any self-gratification.  It seems to me, so many Christians miss that story.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 14 May 2007 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree with you, Mriana, however, I hope everyone realizes I was being ironic and a bit sarcastic when I listed the bible stories I like.  I’m REALLY not into pedophilia, rape, and incest.  LOL

1 of 2

‹‹ PBS Doc on Atheism      New CFI Website ››