ABC News manipulating discussion on atheists
Posted: 14 May 2007 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

Recently, ABC News aired a debate between the "Rational Responders" and Kirk Cameron, etc., which you probably know about.

They now have a section on their web forum that is dedicated to talking about "atheists". I have been active on there discussing issues with people, and over a period of several days they have systematically deleted most or all of my posts and the posts of other atheists. I have had to repost them repeatedly, and they continue to be deleted, such that atheists are denied the ability to express their point of view on the forum, even though we are not violating any rules and we are not being banned.

You can clearly see the evidence of this my looking at the threads:

http://forums.abcnews.go.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?folderId=6&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=ABCWorldNews&redirCnt=1

Here is a specific example:

http://forums.abcnews.go.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ABCWorldNews&tid=27794

Look at the post counts. You see that it goes 1 or 11, 2 of 11, 4 of 11, 8 of 11, etc. This is because the other posts have all been deleted. I have made several posts in that thread which have all been deleted, and the replies to my posts have been deleted, and the posts of other atheists have been deleted.

None of these posts were hostile, violated any rules, or were even negative at all. I have saved some of my posts that have been deleted, but not this particular example unfortunately, but there are dozens of examples. This is a case of a major media company taking sides and actively manipulating the presentation of ideas to skew the discussion and misrepresent atheists and deny atheists the ability to represent themselves in a public forum.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 14 May 2007 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29

First I thought you’ve joined a forum on Cameron’s website. Then I realized it was actually ABC’s website!!

Wow!  :shock: What are you going to do, RR? Can you show us a copy of the deleted posts?

Posted: 14 May 2007 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7503
Joined  2007-03-02

That seems biased to delete atheists posts.  It is a misrepresentation to do so and no gets to know anyone that way.  IMHO, this does not speak well of ABC.  The question is, what can we do about it?  Not that I have time to post on another board, but it is a concern, I believe to all of us.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 May 2007 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

[quote author=“Mriana”]That seems biased to delete atheists posts.  It is a misrepresentation to do so and no gets to know anyone that way.  IMHO, this does not speak well of ABC.  The question is, what can we do about it?  Not that I have time to post on another board, but it is a concern, I believe to all of us.

Letter writing campaign.

Get media attention… not going to work considering that it’s the media being biased in this case.

Sue ‘em?

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 15 May 2007 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7503
Joined  2007-03-02

Those are good ideas, but we need several people to do a letter writing campaign.  Don’t know how many would do that though.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 May 2007 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14

What confuses me is that it seems they have left up a number of pro-atheist messages ... so it’s not clear what they are doing or why.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

Obviously, they want to fuel a debate, because that generates interest.  At the same time, any argument that really knocks the Christians out of the park is not going to sit too well with a majority of their viewers.  You could tell by the debate they aired on Nightline.  Kirk Cameron’s “Way of the Master” website was given more time, and was treated more positively.  The atheists were constantly characterized as “unbelievers” and “faithless”.

Posted: 16 May 2007 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

[quote author=“advocatus”]Obviously, they want to fuel a debate, because that generates interest.  At the same time, any argument that really knocks the Christians out of the park is not going to sit too well with a majority of their viewers.  You could tell by the debate they aired on Nightline.  Kirk Cameron’s “Way of the Master” website was given more time, and was treated more positively.  The atheists were constantly characterized as “unbelievers” and “faithless”.

And that’s the way the media is, eh? Biased!

And the media controls the people.

Scary thought… scarier than 1984 almost…

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

‹‹ New CFI Website      Career Choices ››