1 of 2
is the Bible indecent? HK officials have 208 complaints sa
Posted: 15 May 2007 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

A few months ago, the Hong Kong Censor found a TV production indecent that showed gay couples in Hong Kong and how they faced discrimination. The Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority said it was promoting a gay lifestyle. Then a few weeks ago a University academic publication published a sex survey results which in part asked about incestuous fantasy and was found indecent by the TELA.

Today a small independent group has launched (so far) 208 complaints that the bible is indecent, using the exact same methods and reasons that were used in the above two cases.

http://www.scmp.com/topnews/ZZZC2OC0I1F.html (need subscription)

[quote:9af5400e6a]The Bible became a target of indecency complaints yesterday after an anonymous website launched a campaign asking people to put pressure on the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority to reclassify the holy text as an indecent publication.

The Chinese-language website http://www.truthbible.net said the Bible was full of stories and references to incest, rape, cannibalism and violence in both the Old and New Testaments.

Tela confirmed yesterday it had received 208 complaints, more than double the number of complaints it received over the past week about the Chinese University Student Press, which resulted in two issues being classified by the Obscene Articles Tribunal as indecent on Monday.

<SNIP>

If the complaints were upheld, by law it would mean full texts of the Bible would be deemed suitable to be read only by over-18s, and copies would need to carry a warning and be sold in sealed packaging.[/quote:9af5400e6a]

Posted: 15 May 2007 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

is the Bible indecent? HK officials have 208 complaints sa

A few months ago, the Hong Kong Censor found a TV production indecent that showed gay couples in Hong Kong and how they faced discrimination. The Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority said it was promoting a gay lifestyle. Then a few weeks ago a University academic publication published a sex survey results which in part asked about incestuous fantasy and was found indecent by the TELA.

Today a small independent group has launched (so far) 208 complaints that the bible is indecent, using the exact same methods and reasons that were used in the above two cases.

http://www.scmp.com/topnews/ZZZC2OC0I1F.html (need subscription)

The Bible became a target of indecency complaints yesterday after an anonymous website launched a campaign asking people to put pressure on the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority to reclassify the holy text as an indecent publication.

The Chinese-language website http://www.truthbible.net said the Bible was full of stories and references to incest, rape, cannibalism and violence in both the Old and New Testaments.

Tela confirmed yesterday it had received 208 complaints, more than double the number of complaints it received over the past week about the Chinese University Student Press, which resulted in two issues being classified by the Obscene Articles Tribunal as indecent on Monday.

<SNIP>

If the complaints were upheld, by law it would mean full texts of the Bible would be deemed suitable to be read only by over-18s, and copies would need to carry a warning and be sold in sealed packaging.

Posted: 15 May 2007 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh yeah, if you include the incest, it’s worse than Jackie Collins.  Actually, I read Jackie Collins sometimes.  So, Jackie Collins is better than the Bible, but has pretty much the same thing minus the incest, barbarism, cannibalism, child murder, and alike.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 May 2007 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

LOL

That’s a great tactic. It won’t work, but nevertheless may get a few people to think.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 May 2007 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

It is brilliant, and in a city with only about 10% Christians it is possible. The government will certainly have egg on its face regardless, since they sued an academic study for basically mentioning the same sorts of things in their survey. 838 complaints for any given thing is very high here…significant really. The number of complaints against the academic publication was in the twenties if I recall.

ETA Just upated on SCMP and correct numbers to boot…

More than 1,400 indecency complaints have been filed against the Bible - nearly 10 times more than those lodged against the Chinese University student journal.

The Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority yesterday confirmed 1,406 complaints were received and two of the complaints were made by phone and fax. The rest were filed by e-mail.

About 168 complaints have been filed against the university??s Student Press.

Posted: 16 May 2007 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

:D Great story! Wouldn’t it be nice if we could get something like that going here the next time someone tries to ban Harry Potter or whatever from the local school library.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 16 May 2007 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

AFP has picked up the story HERE .

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 May 2007 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

The truthbible.com looks like it is nothing but the domain now.  Either it’s overloaded with people wanting to see the site or they took it down.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 May 2007 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

There was a story here that it was attacked and that they took it down temporarily. Its up right now, though trying to get my partner to translate for me has been like puling teeth. He is apathetic about the bible, and who can blame him he spent his youth in a Catholic school, forced to pray to Jesus even though his family are Buddhist.  LOL

Good free story in our other English language news paper, The Standard .

<snip>

As of Wednesday evening, there were 1,046 complaints against the Bible compared with 168 complaints against the student publications which Tuesday were given a Category II rating by the Obscene Articles Tribunal.

<snip>

She said the authority was studying whether to refer the complaints to the tribunal for classification.

<snip>

The anonymous webmaster of the Chinese site http://www.truthbible.net which had launched the latest campaign against the Bible, said it had been under hacker attacks on its server from 11am to 3pm Wednesday, and some of the letters sent to TELA through the page during the period might be generated by an automated program.

“We urge people to re-send their complaint letters to TELA,” the page reads.

The anonymous webmaster did not rule out reporting the suspected hacker attacks to police for further investigation.

He also stressed he did not know any of the Chinese University students involved in the journal saga, or that the campaign was in response to the tribunal’s ruling.

The webmaster wrote in a letter to the authority that about 70 excerpts in a Chinese Union version of the holy text contained material on incest, rape, violence and cannibalism which was “far beyond commonly acceptable moral standards of society.”

<snip>

To illustrate its point on rape, the Web site cited Genesis 19:8, which reads: “See now, I have two unmarried daughters; I will send them out to you so that you may do to them whatever seems good to you: only do nothing to these men, for this is why they have come under the shade of my roof.”

On indecency, Isaiah 3:17 - “The Lord will send disease on the heads of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will let their secret parts be seen” - was quoted.

<snip>

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

All I get is links to other sites when I follow that truthbible link.  :(

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

http://www.truthbible.net/

This work?

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

It works, but as it’s in Chinese not very informative (for me, that is).

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

Yes for any of us I am afraid…unless i can convince my partner to waste his valuable morning translating…doubtful.  wink

I gather it is a Chinese site on par with the Skeptics Annotated Bible.

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I figured it out.  You link works, sgallaga. the new site link doesn’t because they have .com instead of .net

I think they are a little late with that no one under 18 bit.  Every child in the U.S., U.K., Europe, and Australia have been shown the Bible.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 17 May 2007 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“Mriana”]Every child in the U.S., U.K., Europe, and Australia have been shown the Bible.

... the expurgated version, at any rate ...

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 17 May 2007 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

You both know they are still making new children, right?

1 of 2

‹‹ "Scientology & Me"      Hitchens vs. Olasky ››